memory not detected

Old April 8th 07, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default memory not detected

hi guys, would really appreciate some help on this as im stumped.
currently running 2 X 256MB DDR PC2700 on a bog standard ASUS A7N8X -
http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=...&modelmenu =2

bought a 1GB DDR PC3200 non EEC 400Mhz which doesn't seem to get
detected on my system.

if i start my pc with just the 1GB RAM, it stops at blank screen and
beeps
if i start it with any combination possible with the other two,
windows loads fine but the 1GB module is not detected by BIOS let
alone windows. have tried the following:

a) [1] 1GB [2] 256MB [3] 256MB
b) [1] 256MB [2] 1GB [3] 256MB
c) [1] 256MB [2] 256MB [3] 1GB
d) [1] 1GB [2] empty [3] empty
e) [1] empty [2] 1GB[3] empty
f) [1] empty [2] empty [3] 1GB

nothing wrong with the module itself as my it works fine on my
friend's PC.

currently running BIOS v1003. do i need to flash my BIOS? i see there
have been various version of them out on the asus site
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...us&model=A7N8X

system specs:

System Information report written at: 07/04/2007 21:31:44
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name RIZLA
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model A7N8X2.0
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1094 Mhz
BIOS Version Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Locale United States
User Name RIZLA\rizla
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 523,760 KB
Available Physical Memory 14,996 KB
Total Virtual Memory 1,798,984 KB
Available Virtual Memory 866,144 KB
Page File Space 1,275,224 KB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Old April 8th 07, 03:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
[...]

Did you buy the memory from Ebay ? Ebay sells a lot of sticks that
use 128Mx4 chips. The proper kind of chips to use is 64Mx8. The
Nforce2 only has addressing capability, to work with a 1GB stick
with 64Mx8 chips on it.

The major memory makers, will not make DDR 1GB modules with 128Mx4
chips on them. They only use 64Mx8 chips. Which is why, when you get
these modules from Ebay, they are "generic" and don't have a
recognized brand name.

This is an example of a proper 1GB module, from Kingston. Says 64M x 8.

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR333X64C25_1G.pdf
(from http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...sp?SysID=13239 )

HTH,
Paul
Old April 8th 07, 01:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...e=en-us&model=...

[...]

(fromhttp://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID...)

HTH,
Paul

you've hit the nail on the head Paul. it is indeed a 128Mx4 "high
density" module. and it was from ebay although it's got samsung
plastered all over the stick. thanks for looking this up for me.

p.s what's HTH?

CD-ROM not detected jiffypop Cdr 2 September 1st 05 04:19 PM
CD-ROM not detected jiffypop Cdr 1 August 26th 05 08:50 PM
IDE HD not always detected Natéag Asus Motherboards 18 July 24th 04 05:56 PM
CDROM DRIVE NOT DETECTED IN WINDOWS BUT DETECTED IN BIOS RAJITH PV General Hardware 0 December 15th 03 12:21 AM
4.3GB HD detected as 2GB Erik Jälevik Storage (alternative) 1 July 3rd 03 06:31 PM