A7N8X Deluxe problem - graphics card not working properly?

Old November 13th 03, 12:31 PM
Ben Pope

Barry Walsh wrote:
I suspect that article is slightly old anyway and presumes everyone
has either 32 or 64 meg cards, hence their end suggestion

Yeah, I did the the impression of it being somewhat old.

I never
said it would increase performance, although the context might have
suggested that I meant it would. I did see a more complete
explanation of the twice ram + 12 rule before, but I've no idea where
that was now. AGP always was a fairly nebulous technology, roll on
PCI express I say.

Indeed.

Ben

Old November 13th 03, 12:44 PM
Ben Pope

Peter Weir wrote:
True, but as I mention, I expect that the m'board may get unhappy if
I try to use dual channel with two different makes of memory - so I'm
making do with single channel. Besides, I think the performance
difference is only slim (around 10% or so). Mind you, I'll probably
give that a try before long... :-)

Dual Channel should be fine with the timings you are using now - you don't
need to match anything in order to get Dual Channel.

Ben

Old November 13th 03, 12:45 PM
Ben Pope

Peter Weir wrote:
Yes: I've installed the nForce2 drivers (latest version from the Asus
website).

Thoroughly recommend the 3.13s from nVidia.

The Asus ones are quite out of date (unless you grab the ones from the ftp
site, but I don't think that they are mentioned on the website)

Ben

Old November 13th 03, 06:24 PM
Peter Weir

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Peter Weir wrote:
Yes: I've installed the nForce2 drivers (latest version from the Asus
website).

Thoroughly recommend the 3.13s from nVidia.

The Asus ones are quite out of date (unless you grab the ones from the ftp
site, but I don't think that they are mentioned on the website)

I'll give them a go...

Peter

Old November 13th 03, 06:28 PM
Ben Pope

Peter Weir wrote:
Thoroughly recommend the 3.13s from nVidia.

The Asus ones are quite out of date (unless you grab the ones from
the ftp site, but I don't think that they are mentioned on the
website)

I'll give them a go...

If you install them WITH the SW IDE drivers, and experience problems burning
CDs, reinstall without the SW IDE Drivers.

They work for me, though.

Ben

Old November 13th 03, 10:03 PM
Ben Pope

Ed wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:28:17 -0000, "Ben Pope"
wrote:
They work for me, though.

What doesn't work for *you* ? ;p

:-)

3.13s made my HDD (PATA) a hair faster with about 1.8% less CPU usage,
but other then that seems everything else slowed down a hair, Nvidia
LAN speed dropped some too, I never even tried to burn a DVD or CD
and went back to the 2.45s, but knowing me I'll probably try the
3.13s again at a later date if I get bored enough, or just wait for
the next version(s). ;p

btw, I think the 313 drivers as a whole are made more for added
stability then any performance gains, but what the hell do I know? ;p

Yep... That seems to be the way it is.

Ben