warehouse club warning

Old March 25th 05, 04:29 PM
SamSez

Default warehouse club warning

I recently noticed that Sams Club was carrying "Ilford Galerie Professional
Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Gloss Paper" [sic] in 100 sheet boxes, and through
their web site you could also order "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo
Range Smooth Pearl Paper" [sic], so I bought two boxes of the gloss and one of
the pearl.

Only when I went to make a print on the pearl, I saw immediately that it was
different than the "Ilford Galerie Professional Inkjet Photo Range Smooth Pearl
Paper" that I had used previously. It had a lower base brightness, a duller
finish and felt thinner despite the box being apparently the same size.

Here's Ilford's response:

"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are dissapointed. the Sam`s
Club version of our media is NOT the same as the general brand found in Pro
dealers and is NOT covered in the sample pack. The description of the media in
the sample pack at 280gsm is correct for the media supplied via our dealer
channels where the sample pack was purchased. The packaging is very different
for the Sam`s media and sorry to say that you should have purchased the media
via the same dealer route as the sample pack. Your comments will be passed over
to our marketing group, but the Sam`s media although to the same standards is
very different and is why the media is cheaper. We do not include the Sam`s
version in our sample packs as this is the only outlet for this version
generally. "

Kind of interesting that the name on the box is exactly the same for two "very
different" products.

Sigh....

Old March 25th 05, 04:37 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the

This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
(always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
example.

-Joel

Old March 25th 05, 04:53 PM
measekite

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the

This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think)

Costco sells the Kirkland (store) brand. While we think it is made by
Ilford, they make no claim to that. The nice thing about Costco is that
they have a return policy unmatched by other. Sams club is Walmart. I
do not like the way they take advantage of their employees and see no
advantage of doing business with them.

,

Old March 25th 05, 07:25 PM
Pete

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:29:28 GMT, SamSez wrote:

[...]

Any company that pulls tricks like this deserves to go bankrupt. Ooops...
Ilford IS bankrupt. Justice?

Pete
Old March 25th 05, 07:32 PM
Marvin

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the

This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
(always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
example.

-Joel

That's the case for other kinds of products. A suit or dress from a top-name designer may look
similar in a discount store and a higher-cost store, but there are differences in the material and
the quality of manufacture. Caveat emptor.
Old March 25th 05, 07:44 PM
measekite

Pete wrote:

[...]

Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.

Pete

Old March 25th 05, 09:18 PM
measekite

In Ilfords email they said the packaging was differenrt. However, if
the name was the same or very similar I agree with you on that. Walmart
is not a very nice company to work for. I seem many reports on their
practices. Customers do save money buy there are other places to save
and shop. Just look at all of the law suits against them.

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

In article ,
measekite wrote:

Ilford did not pull tricks. They just sold a reduced quality product
based on a customers specifications and packaged it differently.
Hopefully they gave it a different name. The tricks are from Walmart.

Nope. The tricks aren't from Walmart. They're from the paper
manufacturer.

If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
sticker, etc.

I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.

Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.

When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
the same stuff is inside.

I don't expect to open a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup that I
got from Sam's Club and find dog food inside. If that happens, you
can't blame Walmart.

Get off your Walmart high horse. Hey, here's a thought: go investigate
Costco's employment practices.

Be prepared for what you'll find.

Old March 25th 05, 09:23 PM
Crownfield

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

If I buy a Toyota from a Toyota dealer, then I buy from from Walmart, I
expect to get a Toyota. It's labeled a Toyota, has the same window
sticker, etc.

I do not expect to get a Ford engine and cheaper seats for the
IDENTICALLY LABELED Toyota.

Ilford wrapped materially different paper inside the same wrapper as
what they use for their dealer stuff. That's just plain WRONG.

When you label them identically, the consumer has every expectation that
the same stuff is inside.

did the wrappers look similar,
or were the product numbers the same?

many products come in multiple flavors for different buyers.
Old March 25th 05, 10:18 PM
SamSez

"Marvin" wrote in message
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
"Many thanks for your email. We are sorry thqat you are
dissapointed. the Sam`s Club version of our media is NOT the same as
the general brand found in Pro dealers and is NOT covered in the

This is very common with mega-outlets. Walmart, Costco (I think),
Home Depot, etc., all commission products to their own lower
specifications, and then sell those products cheaper than their
competitors. At Home Depot, at least, these products usually
(always?) have a different product number, with an "a" at the end, for
example.

-Joel

That's the case for other kinds of products. A suit or dress from a top-name

designer may look
similar in a discount store and a higher-cost store, but there are differences

in the material and
the quality of manufacture. Caveat emptor.

I would claim that this is RARELY the case for other kinds of products -- at
least when they are from the SAME maker and LABELED with the SAME LABEL.

Old March 25th 05, 10:19 PM
SamSez

"measekite" wrote in message
news

Pete wrote:

[...]

In case I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, they did NOT give it
a different name. That is my point.