Canon Users - Do You Believe????

Old February 10th 05, 08:48 PM
measekite

Default Canon Users - Do You Believe????

How many people out their believe in using 3rd party inks? If so what
is your brand, printer, paper and your experience with them. How long
have you been using them and how often do you print. How many of you
have had problems with print clogging the head, fading, lower quality
print results?

How much of a mess is it to refill cartridges and how long does it
take. How can you tell when the tank is running low without having to
remove the cart and inspect is physically?

If you only print every couple of weeks with you have a clogging problem
with non factory ink? I have no problems now with my Canon Pixma IP4000
but spending half of what you paid for the printer for ink is high.
Also spending $75 for a print head is out of line when I just saw the
IP4000 for a net price of $100 at Frys after a $30 instant rebate plus a
$20 mail in rebate.
Old February 11th 05, 01:31 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

I use 3rd party ink in all four of our Canon printers with no more
problems than I found using Canon's brand. After using three sets of
cartridges you will have saved enough to buy a new printer. Other than
maybe the possibility of Canon ink providing more fade resistant prints
I can't see any reason to pay their high prices. I get the cartridges
for $1.70 each shipped to my door so for me it isn't worth the hassles
to refill.

Old February 11th 05, 04:11 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

It is an ebay seller. I suggest sending them a message at
and placing an order for the exact number and
color of cartridges you need. Also, you can still pay through Paypal.
I rarely need the same number of each color since our photo printer use
six ink tanks (i9100 & i960) and ordering this way allows me to mix and
match quantities and colors. I got the best price by doing this instead
of bidding through ebay. I order about 50 cartridges at once to keep
the per unit cost low. Here's a link to their ebay listings for Canon
compatible cartridges:
http://tinyurl.com/52c6k

Their cartridges have a 25% larger ink reservoir than most others so you
get more prints per cartridge. I can personally confirm the reservoirs
are noticeably larger than OEM Canon cartridges. As for the print
quality, I can't see much, if any, difference from the Canon ink.
Definitely not enough to justify six times the cost.

Old February 11th 05, 04:34 AM
bmoag

If you have any notion of color management why would you buy non-standard
inks?

Old February 11th 05, 05:50 AM
AMcLean

"bmoag" wrote in
news
If you have any notion of color management why would you buy
non-standard inks?

Few people who buy inkjets have any use or need for precise color
management or color science. For many of us, we can afford the
printer but can't afford the Canon cartridges that hold "two spoonfuls" of
ink and cost as much as the printer almost.

The several non-Canon inks I've tried deviate infinitismally little from
the so called "Canon standard", certainly not enough to justify me paying
up to 20 times the price. Yes, 20 times. I can fill my own cartridges for
under $5 - a set! Bring on the savings, and I'll deal with any color
variations I may encounter. Not that I've had to.
Old February 11th 05, 08:44 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

bmoag wrote:
If you have any notion of color management why would you buy non-standard
inks?

To save a boat load of money is a real good reason. In reality the
color difference is negligable. Anyone that is that picky about color
management can adjust the weighting of the individual ink tanks in the
printer driver to produce the results they prefer.
Old February 11th 05, 04:28 PM
Billw

There is a very active yahoo group (see "Groups" from the Yahoo home page)
that deals exclusively with Canon inkjet printers. There are many, many
archived posts there about 3rd part inks used in Canons, including reports
and recommendations, and a few warnings. The general consensus, from what
I've seen, is that refilling (or even just buying refilled cartridges) works
very well for these printers and changes considerations of the price of ink
from being THE dominant factor to being almost no factor at all.

Go take a look.

. ..

Old February 11th 05, 08:01 PM
measekite

Where do you buy them from?

What brand are they?

How frequently do you print?

Any problem at all with clogging?

How long have you been using non Canon brand ink?

Old February 11th 05, 08:12 PM
measekite

What about clogging? How often do you print?

AMcLean wrote:

"bmoag" wrote in
news