I want to build a XY table printer from parts - sorry about double posting

Old October 8th 04, 03:10 PM
Edward Finlayson

Default I want to build a XY table printer from parts - sorry about double posting

I am looking for a starting point in order to build a mechanism to enable me
to move the print head rather than the paper as I would like to print onto
stiff plastic material which won't pass though a printer. I think I may be
able to do this by taking a old printer to bits ( I have several at my
disposal) and modifying it so the the paper feed drive propelles the print
head on a gantry alonng the length of my material. I would also need to
intercept somehow the page feed command or action in order to return the
print head to it's starting point.

I am greatfull for any ideas you may have or sites to check out.

Fin.

Old October 8th 04, 09:57 PM
Edward Finlayson

I wish it were that simple. The device that I need has to be frame mounted
in
order for it to be fixed to the piece being printed onto. as this peice is
would not
be de-mountable and is also larger than the printer.

To some up I would like to find a way to turn a conventional inkjet printer
into
a gantry type inkjet XY printer - sometimes called a gantry plotter,
unfortunately
inkjet plotters which are currently available are both of the wrong format
(just very larger printers with there paper on a roll) and also very
expensive.

Does anyone else have any input - Please

thanks for your input Bennet

Fin.

Edward Finlayson wrote:

I am looking for a starting point in order to build a mechanism to

enable me
to move the print head rather than the paper as I would like to print

onto
stiff plastic material which won't pass though a printer. I think I may

be
able to do this by taking a old printer to bits ( I have several at my
disposal) and modifying it so the the paper feed drive propelles the

print
head on a gantry alonng the length of my material. I would also need to
intercept somehow the page feed command or action in order to return the
print head to it's starting point.

I am greatfull for any ideas you may have or sites to check out.

Fin.

Plz help check my parts for first PC build.. Chris General 3 October 26th 04 04:02 PM
hp printer slowing to a stop 2 tenchman Printers 4 August 6th 04 06:50 AM
Using HP Deskjet 5850 Wireless Printer with Airport Express, OS X, WEP & WPA Terri Printers 0 August 1st 04 07:21 PM
Optra R networking JP Printers 1 February 15th 04 11:35 PM
Recommended laser printer parts vendor Warren Post Printers 4 July 10th 03 11:48 PM