Problems with POSTing P4PE-BP

Old June 27th 04, 05:32 PM
Dre

Default Problems with POSTing P4PE-BP

Hi all.
I have an Asus P4PE-BP ( Black Pearl) edition MB which seems to be giving
me some problems POST-ing.
I have the board installed in a ThermalTake Xaser III case which has a
450Watt PSU installed and I was wondering if it could be that the board is
grounding somewhere because when I switch on the main switch on the PSU the
fans spin up for about 5~6 secs and then it all shuts down.
I've tried dis-connecting all the fans and auxillary devices to determine if
I may be having a power cable or component problem but to no avail.
So I finally removed the CPU and tried to powered up the PSU and WHOLA,
same results. Now I am not a professional computer tech, but I KNOW that
without the CPU a board doesn't usually power up so I guess there's
something else happening here.
Can anyone shed andy light or offer any ideas?

I can be reached at adcnw@cloudnine( replace the word nine with the number
9).net

Thanks.

Old June 27th 04, 06:21 PM
James Bald

I'm guessing some wild ideas he
1- Sounds like your switch is acting like if you pressed it, and it remains ON.
That has the effect of telling the PSU to shut down after a delay.
Is that front panel power switch Vintage ?.. It should be SPST
(Workaround tip:.. Unhook the reset switch, and ise it as power instead.
Forget about reset until you fix.)
2- This is a case for GHOSTBUSTER

Cheers, (Come back if that does not fix or does it.)

Old June 27th 04, 06:28 PM
James Bald

Oops, LAPSUS:
I meant 'should not be SPST, should be: Standard Pushbutton Switch

Old June 28th 04, 03:27 AM
Paul

In article , "Dre"
wrote:

[...]

Are you referring to "AC Pwr Loss Restart" ?

On my old P4B board, when you turn on the PSU via the switch on
the back of the computer, the computer powers up for a few seconds,
long enough for the BIOS code to check the setting of "AC Pwr Loss
Restart". If the computer is supposed to remain off after a power
failure, the computer will then promptly shut down again. My P4C800-e
Deluxe doesn't seem to do this, implying the feature is supported
directly by the chipset, rather than relying on some BIOS code to
emulate the feature.

I don't know how this is supposed to work on the P4PE board. And
Google doesn't offer any advice.

Paul