I need to recover USB hard drive

Old July 5th 19, 11:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default I need to recover USB hard drive

I need to try to recover data from a USB hard drive which suddenly has
become unreadable.

I'd rather not send it away to do that. I have downloaded and tried a
few programs I have found - to no avail. I tried:
Easeus
Stellar
Remo

None seem to work for me. They do seem to try to scan the drive tho.
Maybe I am doing things wrong?

Any suggestions?
Thanks
xxxx
Old July 5th 19, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
I need to try to recover data from a USB hard drive which suddenly has
become unreadable.

I'd rather not send it away to do that. I have downloaded and tried a
few programs I have found - to no avail. I tried:
Easeus
Stellar
Remo

None seem to work for me. They do seem to try to scan the drive tho.
Maybe I am doing things wrong?

Any suggestions?
Thanks
xxxx

Do you know if this "drive" is the newer "dedicated" USB type ?

Most useful drives, come with SATA connectors on them.

However, if you buy a 2TB to 5TB 3.5" external USB,
those are using shingled drives with a USB connector
right on the controller board, instead of a SATA connector.

This increases the difficulty of recovery.

I would recommend a powered USB3 hub, just to ensure
the device receives a good power source, if it is that
kind of drive.

SATA drives, you can unplug them from the enclosure
and connect them to a motherboard SATA port (on a desktop).

The "dedicated USB" type, you can't really separate
the USB issues from any SATA type issues, as the controller
doesn't come apart in pieces.

If you had provided the make and model number of the
external USB storage device, I could attempt to look
up info on whether "it's shuck-able" (can be taken apart),
and so on.

Paul
Old July 5th 19, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 12:29:35 -0400, Paul

[...]

Thanks for ur response Paul.
I will identify the drivee later asaic.
I had just bought tho about 5 moa ago. No Sata plug or adapter plug..
Wish now that it did,
xxxxx
Old July 6th 19, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

[...]

Hi Paul - finally able to get back.
Thanks you guys for trying to help this antique long-retired obsolete
mainframe software supportee. My degree is useless. Boy how things
have changed!
That said -
First - all is okay - that's most important. Drive is now readable.
Now then -
I bought the drive 6 months ago. It is non-descript to say the least
is some 3x5", no id markings on it whatsoever, nor does it have any
ports or buttons on it. Just a USB cable.
W10 WExplorer says it is a Seagate BUP Slim BK SCSI Disk Device.
Properties show it has 2TB space, and it holds same.

I have tried to use several several smaller flash drives in the past
only to find they all seem to have a short usage-life. I have several
totally unusable. This 2B drive looked to have similar trouble. They
all have no separate power source, drawing same from PC USB. For that
reason, my next hard drive will have its own power-adapter for sure.

Why my drive failed suddenly, I have no idea. But I had a brainstorm.
I guess. I booted up my newer W10 laptop with the problematic HD
plugged to USB to let the BIOS see the drive. Lo, it said it had a
problem (no surprise really) and it endeavored to fix it, which it
did! Now the drive will work on that laptop and on the former PC.
Wow!

I still wonder why all these programs:
Easeus
Stellar
Acronis
Remo

all failed miserably!

Thanks guys.
Cya

xxxxx

Old July 6th 19, 04:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

I love a happy ending.

Just remember that a 2.5" USB drive draws around 5V @ 1A at peak
spinup. For the first 10 seconds, that's how much current it needs
to spin up the platter (acceleration).

The current drops back after that point.

Desktop motherboards have a 1.1A fuse on the USB port (to handle
a "pair" of ports).

Sometimes a drive cannot spin up, and moving the drive
to a different computer with a slightly different power
limit, is enough to make it work.

Here is a video on disassembly of the BUP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQtdhR9eYI

That video is 7 minutes long, but the idea is, that's
a 2.5" drive with a *captive* USB port. There's no SATA
port hiding in there so we can avoid USB powering issues.

To find videos like that, the keyword is

productname "shucking"

where shucking is normally a word associated with the
preparation of clam meat.

Paul
Old July 6th 19, 01:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 23:55:01 -0400, Paul

[...]

As do I.
I think I have been reminded that the file-correcting process in the
BIOS boot segments of machines as they boot up will correct disk
problems (which I should have known because I had seen it before).
I tried rebooting the W10 PC with all my npw defunct flash drives one
at a time, and found that most became usable by being restored at
boot. Thanks for causing me to benefit from that.

Any ideas why the various programs I tried did not work tho? Some
should have I would think.
xxxxx

Old July 6th 19, 04:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Sat, 06 Jul 2019 11:26:53 -0400, Paul

As do I.
I think I have been reminded that the file-correcting process in the
BIOS boot segments of machines as they boot up will correct disk
problems (which I should have known because I had seen it before).
I tried rebooting the W10 PC with all my npw defunct flash drives one
at a time, and found that most became usable by being restored at
boot. Thanks for causing me to benefit from that.

Any ideas why the various programs I tried did not work tho? Some
should have I would think.
xxxxx

I don't think we'll ever know.

Maybe it was spinning up properly. And needed
some CHKDSK before anything else could happen.

Paul

U know - I believe the BIOS boot fix cud have been CHKDSK-based.
That said, I'll bet at least one of the apps would run against the
drive now that the drive has been fiixed.
Oh well.
Thanks again
Cya
xxxxx