Brother HL-2240 low toner

Old February 19th 14, 07:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
KenK

Default Brother HL-2240 low toner

This Brother HL-2240 is a fairly new laser printer and has just given me a
low-toner warning. In my old HP Laserjet III I could remove the cart and
rock it back and forth a few times and the cart would last a while longer.
Will this work in the Brother or do I have to change the cart? (I preferred
the good-old-days when one got a detailed manual with stuff.)

TIA

Old February 19th 14, 07:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

KenK wrote:
This Brother HL-2240 is a fairly new laser printer and has just given me a
low-toner warning. In my old HP Laserjet III I could remove the cart and
rock it back and forth a few times and the cart would last a while longer.
Will this work in the Brother or do I have to change the cart? (I preferred
the good-old-days when one got a detailed manual with stuff.)

TIA

You may get a little more after a gentle rocking but not for long. After a
while one of two things will happen, either the printer will say toner out and
stop printing or you will start to get a gray tinge to the paper (due to the
toner 'carrier' sticking to the page).
In any event you should get a good yield from a new toner for this printer.
Tony

Old February 20th 14, 02:55 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David Empson

KenK wrote:

This Brother HL-2240 is a fairly new laser printer and has just given me a
low-toner warning. In my old HP Laserjet III I could remove the cart and
rock it back and forth a few times and the cart would last a while longer.
Will this work in the Brother or do I have to change the cart? (I preferred
the good-old-days when one got a detailed manual with stuff.)

Yes, that levelling toner trick may help, but I don't bother until it
gets to the point where there is a visible streak due to poorly
distributed toner.

The manual should be on the CD-ROM that came with the printer, or you
can download it from Brother's web site.

http://www.brother-usa.com/support/M...ModelID=HL2240

(Click on the Manuals & Documents tab.)

See chapter 4 (Routine Maintenance), Toner Cartridge section, from page
70. This explains the LEDs and also mentions a mode setting which my
club found made a big difference to how often we needed to replace the
toner cartridge in an HL-2240D (same model but with duplexing).

When the printer reaches the "replace toner" indication point it may
have plenty of toner left. By default, it is in "Stop mode", so it
refuses to print any more once it is showing "replace toner". You can
set "Continue mode" to continue printing until _you_ decide the toner
really is too low to keep using that cartridge, based on your
observation of the print quality.

To toggle between Continue mode and Stop mode, press the Go button seven
times in a row. The printer flashes all the LEDs twice to indicate
Continue mode is active, or once to indicate Stop mode is active.

--
David Empson

Old February 23rd 14, 06:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael J Davis[_2_]

KenK was inspired to say
This Brother HL-2240 is a fairly new laser printer and has just given me a
low-toner warning. In my old HP Laserjet III I could remove the cart and
rock it back and forth a few times and the cart would last a while longer.
Will this work in the Brother or do I have to change the cart? (I preferred
the good-old-days when one got a detailed manual with stuff.)

I have a new HL-2250 (comes with a low capacity cartridge) - that
technique seems to work for me. Nothing to lose by trying, surely?

Mike

--
Michael J Davis

b/w toner cart. for Brother FjLee Printers 1 July 17th 11 02:04 PM
Brother mono laser HL-2240 aesthete8 Printers 9 February 25th 11 05:40 AM
Brother toner warning syrjohn Printers 0 July 12th 06 08:13 PM
Brother HL1440 - where to buy toner? Steve Printers 0 January 26th 04 05:59 PM
Does anyone use toner refill for brother toner from image control Inc. in Toronto? John Lee Printers 0 September 24th 03 10:06 PM