help with hardrive enclosure thingy

Old March 7th 11, 02:49 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

Default help with hardrive enclosure thingy

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 20:35:15 -0800, t@ter. wrote:

hi,

recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
access it?

You'll need to be logged into an administrator account to see the
files as they are owned by a different user (you, on the old
computer.)

In the future, make backups--hard drives have the distressing habit of
not giving any warning before they die.
Old March 7th 11, 03:32 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

t@ter. wrote:
hi,

recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
access it?

A search term for this is "take ownership".
There is an example answer here.

"How do I take ownership of my files and folders from a old harddrive?"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9210112AA8aOIB

Paul

Old March 7th 11, 06:44 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
t@ter.

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:49:58 -0800, Loren Pechtel
wrote:

[...]

Oh I did. From the time when we used little floppy disks, and I never had
any problems except when a disk would screw up. But I kept several copies, so it
was never a big deal. Then came thumb drives, and I thought that was awesome.
Still do actually...they are... But also then came whateverthe**** Windows did
to make it so documents you made with older Wordpad versions, get horribly
****ed up when you put them in a computer with later Wordpad versions. So while
I was in the process of trying to understand and get over that ****ing, the
harddrive on the computer I was trying to get away from (at that time I still
thought it was a problem with that particular computer, not a deliberate ****ing
designed and imposed by our Windows "friends"), the computer stopped working.
Funniest of all is the fact that I deliberately used Wordpad because I not only
had no idea they were going to intentionally **** us that way, but I felt
confident I could put faith in Wordpad because I naively believed they would
NOT. Good one, huh?
Old March 8th 11, 12:37 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
A Petro

wrote:

[...]

Swear words are not allowed. Watch your language ,it is terrible

Old March 8th 11, 09:18 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
t@ter.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:37:07 -0500, "A Petro" wrote:

t@ter. wrote in message ...

Funniest of all is the fact that I deliberately used Wordpad because I not
only
had no idea they were going to intentionally **** us that way, but I felt
confident I could put faith in Wordpad because I naively believed they
would
NOT. Good one, huh?

Swear words are not allowed.

you're lying, so obviously swearing and lying are both allowed.

Watch your language ,it is terrible

you think it's okay for them to **** their older customers, but it's not okay
for us to say they did. but then, you think it's ethically superior to lie than
to swear and tell the truth. i won't live to see it but my hope is that
eventually humans will move beyond caring about swear words. it is NOT the
people who use them that are the problem. it's the people who think it's their
****ing business how someone else describes the **** they're talking about. i
don't give a **** how you describe your own ****ings, so you shouldn't give a
**** how i describe mine. from your pov you think i'm the problem because you
think i should accept you as superior and do what you want me to do. from by pov
you're the problem because i don't consider it to be anyone else's business in
unmoderated groups AND i consider those of you who think it is your business to
be the problem. to come into an unmoderated group and try to moderate it like
you do is about as egotistically rude as you can go, isn't it?

Old March 10th 11, 04:48 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

wrote:

Swear words are not allowed. Watch your language ,it is terrible

This isn't a moderated group.
Old March 10th 11, 05:12 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

wrote:

Swear words are not allowed. Watch your language ,it is terrible

This isn't a moderated group.

No it isnt, but you have to either be very simple minded or a 16-25 year old
to always want to speak that way.
Old March 11th 11, 07:12 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John

t@ter. wrote in messagenews:g59an6t159jgfdgi4kouarh92gu2ogvnrs@4ax .com....
[...]

Paul has given you the advice you need. Either go that route or use
the hard drive you backed up your data to before your problems and
copy them back to where you need them.

Two questions about my homebuilt thingy poachedeggs Homebuilt PC's 7 February 6th 10 03:03 PM
Tablet PC laptop thingy Michael C General 1 May 9th 05 11:33 PM
HPII Thingy Question ceniza Printers 1 February 22nd 04 10:50 PM
Winzip password thingy John Leister Overclocking AMD Processors 17 October 28th 03 04:04 AM
Bad Enclosure (ME-720), Good Enclosure (ME-320), Nice Enclosure (HD-227) Mike Rogers Storage (alternative) 0 July 17th 03 02:14 AM