Canon Pixma MP780 'Wrong Cartridge' Error Message

Old June 5th 08, 09:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Old Strebuggart

Default Canon Pixma MP780 'Wrong Cartridge' Error Message

I've only had it for 2 years and now it won't print because of this error
message. Obviously its the right cartridge as the printhead has never been
changed. Yes I do use Hobbicolors refill kits but these have worked for
almost all of the 2 years and the ink tanks are physically identical to the
Canon and there is no chip on them.

I have tried removing and replacing the printhead and ink tanks,
re-installing the driver, disconnecting from mains overnight - problem
returns after a short while - yet when working it produces a good print.

HELP!

(Ta)

Old June 5th 08, 03:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Old Strebuggart wrote:
I've only had it for 2 years and now it won't print because of this error
message. Obviously its the right cartridge as the printhead has never been
changed.

Yes I do use Hobbicolors refill kits

if you bought Canon OEM ink you would not have the problems you are having.

Old June 5th 08, 04:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Old Strebuggart

"measekite" wrote in message

Old Strebuggart wrote:
I've only had it for 2 years and now it won't print because of this

error
message. Obviously its the right cartridge as the printhead has never

been
changed.

Yes I do use Hobbicolors refill kits

if you bought Canon OEM ink you would not have the problems you are

having.
but these have worked for
almost all of the 2 years and the ink tanks are physically identical to

the
Canon and there is no chip on them.

I have tried removing and replacing the printhead and ink tanks,
re-installing the driver, disconnecting from mains overnight - problem
returns after a short while - yet when working it produces a good print.

HELP!

(Ta)

How would Hobbicolors ink have caused this problem then? Is there a supplier
for OEM ink as the cartridges are £8 each to buy so thats £40 every time. As
I filled them around 8 times thats £320. New printhead £33, Ink £40 and
still loads left

Old June 5th 08, 07:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanG

"Old Strebuggart" wrote in message
I've only had it for 2 years and now it won't print because of this error
message. Obviously its the right cartridge as the printhead has never been
changed. Yes I do use Hobbicolors refill kits but these have worked for
almost all of the 2 years and the ink tanks are physically identical to
the
Canon and there is no chip on them.

I have tried removing and replacing the printhead and ink tanks,
re-installing the driver, disconnecting from mains overnight - problem
returns after a short while - yet when working it produces a good print.

HELP!

(Ta)

I hope you haven't been using the same tanks for 2 years.

Old June 5th 08, 07:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Old Strebuggart wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message ...

Old Strebuggart wrote:

I've only had it for 2 years and now it won't print because of this

error

message. Obviously its the right cartridge as the printhead has never

been

changed.

Yes I do use Hobbicolors refill kits

if you bought Canon OEM ink you would not have the problems you are

having.

but these have worked for almost all of the 2 years and the ink tanks are physically identical to

the

Canon and there is no chip on them.

Like I said if you do not use Canon OEM ink then you will have headaches sooner or later.  You seem to be another poster with the same or similar story.   Many say "Well I did not have trouble before" .  In in this ng there are some who have such an ego they will never admit if they have problems.

Old June 5th 08, 08:58 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Old Strebuggart

"DanG" wrote in message

"Old Strebuggart" wrote in message
I've only had it for 2 years and now it won't print because of this

error
message. Obviously its the right cartridge as the printhead has never

been
changed. Yes I do use Hobbicolors refill kits but these have worked for
almost all of the 2 years and the ink tanks are physically identical to
the
Canon and there is no chip on them.

I have tried removing and replacing the printhead and ink tanks,
re-installing the driver, disconnecting from mains overnight - problem
returns after a short while - yet when working it produces a good print.

HELP!

(Ta)

I hope you haven't been using the same tanks for 2 years.

No! Hobbicolors supply empty ones you can refill, though i do use them a few
times each - besides the print quality has been great - no blocked jets like
I had on my Epson 830U when I used Selectafont ink. The Canon is so easy to
refil and the print works straight away not loads of cleaning like on the
Epson.

If the Hobbicolors ink was 'bad' then yes I would expect it not to print
clearly, to block up etc, but why the 'wrong cartridge' message? Surely a
problem with the electronics/electrics on the head? Not the ink!

The new head cured the problem and I continue to use Hobbicolors - because
it would cost me the price of several new printers over the next 2 years if
I didn't!

Old June 6th 08, 01:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Old Strebuggart wrote:

"DanG" wrote in message ...

"Old Strebuggart"
wrote in message ...

[...]

It is the wrong cart if it is not Canon OEM ink.  The printer knows what it wants

Surely a problem with the electronics/electrics on the head? Not the ink! The new head cured the problem and I continue to use Hobbicolors - because it would cost me the price of several new printers over the next 2 years if I didn't!

That does not make sense.

Old June 6th 08, 10:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Old Strebuggart

This measekite guy seems to be a **** stirer - his reply is not logical -
think he's trying to wind everyone up - I see he has a reputation

The MP780 cannot detect a wrong cartridge if it isn;t chipped and is the
same shape - there are no detectors in the head that could identify the
tanks.

A new head cured it so it must have been a problem in the printhead, which
is the original canon

Replacing the old OEM tanks did not cure the problem.

Finally just supposing the ink had 'somehow' destroyed the head - its still
miles cheaper replacing the head and having used ink refill than using
expensive canon cartridges over the past 2 years.

So he's a wind-up merchant with nothing helpful to say and probably a very
sad life.

Old June 7th 08, 03:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Old Strebuggart wrote:
This measekite guy seems to be a **** stirer - his reply is not logical -
think he's trying to wind everyone up - I see he has a reputation

The MP780 cannot detect a wrong cartridge if it isn;t chipped and is the
same shape - there are no detectors in the head that could identify the
tanks.

A new head cured it so it must have been a problem in the printhead, which
is the original canon

Replacing the old OEM tanks did not cure the problem.

Finally just supposing the ink had 'somehow' destroyed the head - its still
miles cheaper replacing the head and having used ink refill than using
expensive canon cartridges over the past 2 years.

So he's a wind-up merchant with nothing helpful to say and probably a very
sad life.

I think you've summed him up very well. Congratulations!

TJ
Old June 7th 08, 03:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

"Old Strebuggart" wrote:
The MP780 cannot detect a wrong cartridge if it isn;t chipped and is the
same shape - there are no detectors in the head that could identify the
tanks.

A new head cured it so it must have been a problem in the printhead, which
is the original canon

Replacing the old OEM tanks did not cure the problem.

The confusion lies in the fact that Canon often refers to the printhead as a
"cartridge".
What you have said is of course correct that the ink tanks are not chipped nor
can the printer identify the tanks.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

help with Canon Pixma MP780 please? nickb Printers 1 August 19th 06 06:10 PM
Canon MP780 "put in cartridge" message, but they're in. chiefbroad Printers 37 May 28th 06 01:39 AM
Canon Pixma MP780 "put in cartridge" [email protected] Printers 12 August 20th 05 03:32 AM
Canon PIXMA MP780 Traveling Printers 0 November 17th 04 05:00 PM
Canon Pixma MP780 Muskett Printers 1 October 29th 04 02:50 AM