Connecting SATA HD to Sil3114

Old July 1st 05, 04:58 PM
Peter

Default Connecting SATA HD to Sil3114

Hi

I have a P5AD2 with 2 disks connected to the Intel ICH6R in a 0+1 raid. If I
connect a new disk to this controller I cant but windows installed on the
RAID, or select RAID in the boot priority.

So I want to connect this new SATA to the Silicon 3114 as a SATA disk not
RAID. I have set to option in the BIOS to SATA mode. I have tried the
drivers from ASUS and to let XP locate a driver. But I can't see this drive
in XP. If I set the 3114 to RAID in the BIOS, I can see this disk in the
RAID software in XP. But I only have one disk and don't wan't to create a
new RAID set.

Can this really be right that because I have 2 disks in a RAID I can't just
connect a singel ekstra SATA disk to this motherboard.

Old July 2nd 05, 03:03 AM
JBM

"Peter" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I have a P5AD2 with 2 disks connected to the Intel ICH6R in a 0+1 raid. If
I connect a new disk to this controller I cant but windows installed on
the RAID, or select RAID in the boot priority.

So I want to connect this new SATA to the Silicon 3114 as a SATA disk not
RAID. I have set to option in the BIOS to SATA mode. I have tried the
drivers from ASUS and to let XP locate a driver. But I can't see this
drive in XP. If I set the 3114 to RAID in the BIOS, I can see this disk in
the RAID software in XP. But I only have one disk and don't wan't to
create a new RAID set.

Can this really be right that because I have 2 disks in a RAID I can't
just connect a singel ekstra SATA disk to this motherboard.

Right click my computer,click manage,disk management. If you see it
under disk management, partition and format the drive.
If you don't see it under disk management.
Has this drive ever been part of a raid array using the si3114 controller?
If so, set the si3114 to raid mode, reboot and enter the si3114 raid setup
(F4 I believe) and remove the raid array. Then go into disk management
to format it.

Jim M

Old July 2nd 05, 10:48 AM
Peter

Right click my computer,click manage,disk management. If you see it
under disk management, partition and format the drive.
If you don't see it under disk management.
Has this drive ever been part of a raid array using the si3114 controller?
If so, set the si3114 to raid mode, reboot and enter the si3114 raid setup
(F4 I believe) and remove the raid array. Then go into disk management
to format it.

Jim M

I don't see it under disk management, and it has not been part of a RAID.

But thanks
Peter

Old July 2nd 05, 04:53 PM
Gert B. Frob

"Peter" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I have a P5AD2 with 2 disks connected to the Intel ICH6R in a 0+1 raid. If

connect a new disk to this controller I cant but windows installed on the
RAID, or select RAID in the boot priority.

So I want to connect this new SATA to the Silicon 3114 as a SATA disk not
RAID. I have set to option in the BIOS to SATA mode. I have tried the
drivers from ASUS and to let XP locate a driver. But I can't see this

drive
in XP. If I set the 3114 to RAID in the BIOS, I can see this disk in the
RAID software in XP. But I only have one disk and don't wan't to create a
new RAID set.

Can this really be right that because I have 2 disks in a RAID I can't

just
connect a singel ekstra SATA disk to this motherboard.

How is it that you can have a 0/1 raid with only 2 drives? I thought 0/1
required 4 drives. Maybe that's a problem?

Old July 2nd 05, 05:37 PM
JBM

"Peter" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I have a P5AD2 with 2 disks connected to the Intel ICH6R in a 0+1 raid. If
I connect a new disk to this controller I cant but windows installed on
the RAID, or select RAID in the boot priority.

So I want to connect this new SATA to the Silicon 3114 as a SATA disk not
RAID. I have set to option in the BIOS to SATA mode. I have tried the
drivers from ASUS and to let XP locate a driver. But I can't see this
drive in XP. If I set the 3114 to RAID in the BIOS, I can see this disk in
the RAID software in XP. But I only have one disk and don't wan't to
create a new RAID set.

Can this really be right that because I have 2 disks in a RAID I can't
just connect a singel ekstra SATA disk to this motherboard.

What do you mean by the raid software in XP.
Thats what made me think it was part of a raid array at one time.
How\where does it showup when you use the raid software in xp?
Is this a new out of the box drive?
And Gert B. Frob is right you can't have a 0+1 array with only two drives.

Jim M

Old July 2nd 05, 07:21 PM
Peter

"JBM" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I have a P5AD2 with 2 disks connected to the Intel ICH6R in a 0+1 raid.
If I connect a new disk to this controller I can't boot windows installed
[...]

Sorry guys but with the Intel ICH6R you can have raid 0 and 1 with only 2
discs. I have this setup and it works fine. I have XP and all my software
and work related data on raid 1 and media files on raid 0.

Yes the 3'rd disc is new out of the box.

When I set the option in BIOS under the Sil3114 to raid, and install the
driver for the Sil3114 in XP I get a program to setup the RAID in XP. This
program lists the drive, but won't let me do anything with it. I don't want
it in a raid and I did this to see if I could access the disk this way. So
the disc and cable etc. seems to be ok. If I set the Sil3114 in the BIOS to
SATA and install the Sil3114 IDE driver in XP it seems like the Sil3114
program in XP is still trying to create a RAID.

Old July 2nd 05, 10:57 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Peter" wrote in message
k...
"JBM" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
k...
Hi

I have a P5AD2 with 2 disks connected to the Intel ICH6R in a 0+1
raid. If I connect a new disk to this controller I can't boot windows
[...]

No.
You can have RAID0, _or_ RAID1.
RAID 0+1, refers to a RAID0 (striped) array, which is then itself
mirrored, and the _minimum_ number of drives for this configuration, is
two drives for each 'striped' part, which are then duplicated in the
mirror.
What you have, is two seperate arrays, on one pair of drives. Half (or
some similar fraction) of each drive is mirrored in a RAID1 array, and the
rest of each drive is then striped in a RAID0 array. You have two seperate
RAID arrays, _not_ a RAID0+1 array.

Yes the 3'rd disc is new out of the box.

When I set the option in BIOS under the Sil3114 to raid, and install the
driver for the Sil3114 in XP I get a program to setup the RAID in XP.
This program lists the drive, but won't let me do anything with it. I
don't want it in a raid and I did this to see if I could access the disk
this way. So the disc and cable etc. seems to be ok. If I set the
Sil3114 in the BIOS to SATA and install the Sil3114 IDE driver in XP it
seems like the Sil3114 program in XP is still trying to create a RAID.

Normally cards have two seperate drivers. One supports RAID operation
only, and the other 'single drive' operation only. You _may_ in some cases
be able to load both, and assign drives to each, but normally, if the RAID
driver is loading, the new drive has to be part of an 'array', even if it
is the only drive in it. Many of the drivers support this in a mode
referred to as JBOD (just a bunch of disks).
Try creating a new array, and assigning just the one drive to it. If the
setup allows this, it should then work as a 'single drive' array.

Best Wishes

Old July 3rd 05, 01:25 PM
Peter

No.
You can have RAID0, _or_ RAID1.
RAID 0+1, refers to a RAID0 (striped) array, which is then itself
mirrored, and the _minimum_ number of drives for this configuration, is
two drives for each 'striped' part, which are then duplicated in the
mirror.
What you have, is two seperate arrays, on one pair of drives. Half (or
some similar fraction) of each drive is mirrored in a RAID1 array, and the
rest of each drive is then striped in a RAID0 array. You have two seperate
RAID arrays, _not_ a RAID0+1 array.

Yes my mistake

Normally cards have two seperate drivers. One supports RAID operation
only, and the other 'single drive' operation only. You _may_ in some cases
be able to load both, and assign drives to each, but normally, if the RAID
driver is loading, the new drive has to be part of an 'array', even if it
is the only drive in it. Many of the drivers support this in a mode
referred to as JBOD (just a bunch of disks).
Try creating a new array, and assigning just the one drive to it. If the
setup allows this, it should then work as a 'single drive' array.

Best Wishes

Thanks, this works.

Old July 3rd 05, 04:05 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Peter" wrote in message
k...
snipped
Normally cards have two seperate drivers. One supports RAID operation
only, and the other 'single drive' operation only. You _may_ in some
cases be able to load both, and assign drives to each, but normally, if
the RAID driver is loading, the new drive has to be part of an 'array',
even if it is the only drive in it. Many of the drivers support this in
a mode referred to as JBOD (just a bunch of disks).
Try creating a new array, and assigning just the one drive to it. If
the setup allows this, it should then work as a 'single drive' array.

Best Wishes

Thanks, this works.

Good News. :-)