Use USB, or Cat5...?

Old April 12th 08, 02:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Kenneth

Default Use USB, or Cat5...?

Howdy,

I just installed an HP 3600n, and hooked it up via USB.

Only after doing that did I realize that I could have set it
up with a Cat5 network cable instead.

Are there any advantages either way?

Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

Old April 12th 08, 03:07 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Kenneth wrote:
Howdy,

I just installed an HP 3600n, and hooked it up via USB.

Only after doing that did I realize that I could have set it
up with a Cat5 network cable instead.

Are there any advantages either way?

Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

Many people have strong opinions on this and that is fair enough.
My opinion is that there is no advantage either way unless you are going to
access the printer from more than one networked PC, in that case I would
certainly use the network connection.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old April 12th 08, 03:55 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Kenneth

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:07:08 -0500, Tony
wrote:

Kenneth wrote:
Howdy,

I just installed an HP 3600n, and hooked it up via USB.

Only after doing that did I realize that I could have set it
up with a Cat5 network cable instead.

Are there any advantages either way?

Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

Many people have strong opinions on this and that is fair enough.
My opinion is that there is no advantage either way unless you are going to
access the printer from more than one networked PC, in that case I would
certainly use the network connection.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Hi Stryker and Tony,

There is part of this that I am missing...

The 3600n is the first printer I have owned that could be
networked directly, but I have put many others on our lan
just by sharing them.

I assume that I could do the same thing with the printer
connected via USB.

Are there ways things would work better were it done via
Cat5?

Also, Stryker, could you say something more about the "cost"
effectiveness of networking via Cat5 rather than networking
the printer by sharing it while connected to one system via
USB?

Sincere thanks to you both,
--
Kenneth

Old April 12th 08, 04:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

wrote:

Kenneth wrote:
[...]

Yes you can connect using USB and share the printer to other PC's. The
disadvantage is that the PC to which the printer is installed must be powered
on whenever you want to print from another PC.
Using a network install via a router or switch allows all PC's on the network
to print regardless of the power on state of any other PC. I think that was
what Stryker was referring to but don't want to put words into his/her mouth.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old April 12th 08, 04:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Kenneth

wrote:

Kenneth wrote:
[...]

Hi again Tony,

I must be too sleepy...

Of course that makes perfect sense.

Thanks again,
--
Kenneth

Old April 12th 08, 12:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Kenneth

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:42:39 -0400, "Stryker"
wrote:

Kenneth
Yes you can connect using USB and share the printer to other PC's. The
disadvantage is that the PC to which the printer is installed must be
powered
on whenever you want to print from another PC.
Using a network install via a router or switch allows all PC's on the
network
to print regardless of the power on state of any other PC. I think that
was
what Stryker was referring to but don't want to put words into his/her
mouth.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Yep... Tony that is exactly what I was referring to..... simply adding a
switch can allow all computers connected to it share the printer... and as
Tony said.. with USB and sharing the printer it would require the pc with
printer connected to be powered on at all times. With a switch and
networked, only the computer you are using at the time need to be on... you
can buy a USB printer share box... but its not as cost effective or as good
as buying a simple switch and networking use cat5... at least in my
opinion..

Stryker

Hi again, and thanks again,
--
Kenneth

Old April 12th 08, 04:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Woody

Using USB on one system also delays the printout depending on what the print
server system is doing at the time.

Old April 13th 08, 06:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DJT

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:37:52 GMT, "Woody" wrote:

Using USB on one system also delays the printout depending on what the print
server system is doing at the time.

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I bought a HP officejet 6310 and tried to connect by Network(it is
supposed to connect) and it would not connect very often and when it
did it took forever to print.
I gave up and connected via Usb without too much trouble ( Only
reloads driver sometimes when turned on)

I have had nothing but trouble connecting to DHCP server since
connecting the printer to Switch.

I hope that you have better luck

DJT

Cat5 Cable Mel[_2_] General 9 September 25th 07 03:52 PM
Long cat5 network cable Bruce Lee General 2 March 28th 06 01:17 AM
CAT5 cable Pat General 7 January 2nd 05 04:23 AM
KVM Connections via Cat5/6 Ethernet?? Jon Martin General Hardware 2 December 9th 03 04:13 PM