Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing (notfuture-proof, no 10 GBe)

Old July 13th 19, 06:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

Default Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing (not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:09:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 3:51:30 PM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 04:58:35 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

This year I will probably buy a new computer, I will probably wait for the 16 core ryzen, I've wait 13 years to buy a new computer and somebody I know thinks I should wait 2 more months to get the 16 core part lol.

There's always something newer and better just around the corner. Sooner
or later, if you're going to buy, you just have to jump.

For now I will investigate motherboards somewhat better to see which motherboard can actually power such a 16 core beast.

I am kinda a fan of ASRock though I never used their motherboards for a long period, but what I like about their boards is "overheat" protection which some claim every motherboard has but I am not so sure about that.

Anyway their Tachi X570 motherboard and especially the RGB looks very good/amazing !

But there is one thing that truely disappoints me a lot and that's two things actually:

1. First of all it only has 1 ethernet port ?! WTF where they thinking ?! How the **** do I connect my old computer and new computer AND INTERNET ?! without having to use some ****ing complex router crap ?! Big problem there.

Use an Ethernet switch to connect the two computers together. Unmanaged
8-port gigabit switches start at less than $15.

What part of 1 gigabit doesn't cut it don't you understand LOL.

Sorry, I thought you were asking a serious question. My mistake.

Old July 13th 19, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

It was a bit harsh but that's to point out to you your oversight of mentioning a 1 gigabit router that doesn't cut it ?!

So shall I take this sorry of yours as an admission that your overlooked this requirement ?!

See how easy it was to make a big fat mistake ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D
Old July 13th 19, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

wrote:

[...]

In what way doesn't it cut it? You had two concerns and I addressed both
of them. The two things that you were concerned about aren't a problem
at all.

1. You don't need more than 1 Ethernet port to be able to connect to a
second PC and to the Internet.
2. You don't need to transfer 50TB of data over Ethernet when you can
simply bring the entire drive over to the new PC.

So shall I take this sorry of yours as an admission that your overlooked this requirement ?!

No, just my realization that you weren't asking a serious question. You
weren't asking for assistance. That's ok.

Old July 13th 19, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

HOLY****.

HOW DEEP DOES YOUR STUPIDITY GO ?! LOL.

So you want me to risk 50 TERRABYTES OF DATA... by moving the harddisks ?! LOL.

FAT CHANCE ! LOL.

SO YOU WANT ME TO OPEN MY 12.000 EURO PCS... **** AROUND WITH THEM... RISK DAMAGING THEM.

NOPE...

THE WHOLE IDEA IS TO PREVENT HAVING TO DO THAT.

Especially when it's something critical like an old computer that badly needs a data transfer to a new PC.

Another concern is data transfer bit errors.

IBM states that with these terrabyte disks... there is the possibility of data tranfser error... just from the drives themselfes.

What data error rates are for ethernet 10 GbE is unknown to me at present time.

Perhaps I need to create a new file transfer tool that transfers it 100% reliably as possible.

By sending the file and then reading the file back and transmitting it back for verification.

This tool should then also avoid caches and other data caches were data could either be lost on power failures...

Or if data was written back errornously to drive... but then read back from errorless cache.

So to be sure data was written flawlessly... the data caches need to be flushed... or the file transferred back at a later time... during the file transfer when there is perhaps no caching.

For now I consider data caching a threat to reliable data transfer for these vast quantities of data.

Perhaps brand new file transfer has to be created to work around these hazards.

As data grows perhaps this will become a new phenomenon.... data errors in transfers... even though there is crc32 and other integrity checking

Integrity checking algorithms might simply not be sufficient anymore !

Thoughts from morons ? LOL

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old July 13th 19, 08:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 08:08:03 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

HOLY****.

HOW DEEP DOES YOUR STUPIDITY GO ?! LOL.

So you want me to risk 50 TERRABYTES OF DATA... by moving the harddisks ?! LOL.

FAT CHANCE ! LOL.

I've been reading this with interest, and I generally have reasonable
comprehension, but I'm still confused. Please simplify and correct my
errors...
You have 50 TB on data on an old computer.
You want to transfer that to a new computer, without opening the
box(es).
You don't want to take days to effect the transfer via 1 Gb transfer
rate.
If I have understood that correctly (perhaps a bad assumption, but
I'll await our corrections)I have a question.

Is the data important to you, ie would you really mind if it were all
lost?
Now assuming it IS important, how do you back it up now? I have only a
couple of TB of data that I can't afford to lose, and I back it up
with triple redundancy... to a removable hard drive every 5 days, and
to an always on-line NAS unit daily. I really can't imagine how I'd
back up 50 TB of data. But however you do it, why not simply connect
your backup system to the new computer and transfer the after backing
it up from the old computer?

Old July 14th 19, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

wrote:

[...]

Never mind. I keep forgetting that you're not serious.

Old July 14th 19, 08:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Steve Hough

Char Jackson pretended :

wrote:

[...]

And the idiot can't spell Terabyte. He just talks
for the sake of talking.
Old July 15th 19, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 14:03:44 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

Now assuming it IS important, how do you back it up now? I have only a
couple of TB of data that I can't afford to lose, and I back it up
with triple redundancy... to a removable hard drive every 5 days, and
to an always on-line NAS unit daily. I really can't imagine how I'd
back up 50 TB of data. But however you do it, why not simply connect
your backup system to the new computer and transfer the after backing
it up from the old computer?

I've more but similar. Some magnitudes larger than your 2T but some
magnitude smaller than 50T.

It's very obvious, a priori: On The Cheap.

First, scrap the triple-redundancy;- Double is efficient for
adaptability to an order of a Tower of Hanoi redundancy scheme at
penta, for 5-day, business workloads. IOW - How to ensure the last
backup is maintained for integrity at a current state of operable and
employed HDDs. Which means software, and not necessarily an
uncomplicated software scheme.

Back to cheap, one backup, then. That is, obviously, SATA which
everybody everywhere has. Hot-swapping would be nice to near
essential at an heavier schedule for regular maintenance on back-up
loads;- Hot-swapping as integral to both BIOS and OS support. How
that is to be obtained is no less obvious: A cheap external docking
bay, containing one or two drive slots;- commiserate to ESATA ports
and/or SATA3 speeds, USB2 will be unacceptable for 50T.

So, here we are with, effectively, no money invested and an actual
solution, one of course within limitations. A ESATA port, off the MB
and backplane of the case, or USB3 for nothing, already given the MB;-
Docking stations aren't much either. Add to that a tiny 3"- or 4"-fan
115V fan, to plug in and keep the external drives(s) cool enough not
to burn out.

Within both limitations operational characteristics across a relative
acceptability to time. A 2T copy operation, then, will occur perhaps
over five hours;- 15T over the course of a week, and 50T during that
month.

Thus small-time operations for small-fry operators running 50T for no
cost other than buying 50T worth of HDDs.

How far is that from an enterprise solution with no bottom line on the
cost of the latest and fastest equipment? I'd guess 50T, for 25T
backed-up and copied 25T (at not realtime redundancy RAID operations),
anywhere from a day to 72 hours three days. For a state of the art
business server solution with 25T data storage considerations;-
network category cable carriers, of course, which may practically be
something slower than current MB controller technology and SSDs.

Such as may cost, in the later instance, conservatively to estimate a
build at optimized a 50T for $20K, as opposed to a rather large plank
of wood for placement of a home PC build with perhaps $2T to invest in
50T of HDD units for something a tenth slower.
Old July 15th 19, 03:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 22:03:10 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Clarification:
$20K business costs at a Labor of Love over the Cost of Living.

That means material costs only, nothing more, the OP and owner
exclusively maintains to his level of proficiency.

The average mean axiom of business operations, however, is one being
an accepted x5 cost at and above material costs for maintenance and
all associated cost across the domain of IT specialists.

They're the average to maintain $20K worth of liquidity on computer
parts for $100K on foreseeable venture capital.

Average is not a tax-funded cost of CIA/FBI operations within Amazon
government cloud contracts.

Nor is average a state-sponsored Chinese resource presence operating
on the WEB across international domains.

The latter two may have something more spend, slightly more to bring
to the table, if hardly more than to ensure that sense of impervious
dedication to quality, I dare say.
Old July 16th 19, 07:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

wrote:

HOLY****.

HOW DEEP DOES YOUR STUPIDITY GO ?! LOL.

So you want me to risk 50 TERRABYTES OF DATA... by moving the harddisks ?! LOL.

FAT CHANCE ! LOL.

I've been reading this with interest, and I generally have reasonable
comprehension, but I'm still confused. Please simplify and correct my
errors...
You have 50 TB on data on an old computer.

IN THE FUTURE my soon-to-be-new-computer will be my OLD computer

THIS IS FUTURE THINKING LOL.

Currently I have 4 TERABYTES TO TRANSFER TO NEW COMPUTER which I may soon BUY.

The new computer should have 40 to 50 TERABYTES of storage space to:

1. Store my old 4 TB of DATA ON.

2. Have 36 TB to 46 TB of free space for new data. 40 TB harddisk space 10 TB super fast solid state drives, that's the plan.

In the far future, maybe 5 or 10 years from now that 50 TB has to be transferred to a SECOND NEW COMPUTER.

And I want to make sure my by then old computer, which is to be my new computer soon, is capable of transferring that FUTURE DATA =D at reasonable speeds ! =D

Thus this futuristic idea will decide which computer I WILL BUY two months from now !

And it will probably not be a ASROCK/TACHI motherboard because it cannot do what I want to do in the future

GET IT YET ?

IF NOT WATCH SOME MORE BACK TO THE FUTURE ! LOLOLOLOLOL.

All of this is just based on my experience with computers which is at about 30 years by now.

You want to transfer that to a new computer, without opening the
box(es).
You don't want to take days to effect the transfer via 1 Gb transfer
rate.
If I have understood that correctly (perhaps a bad assumption, but
I'll await our corrections)I have a question.

Is the data important to you, ie would you really mind if it were all
lost?

It would be very annoying... most of it will be music... some of it will be applications, some of it will be games.

Most important data can probably fit in less then a terrabyte... however that consumption is also growing little bit by little bit.

Losing CODE, E-MAILS, DOCUMENTS would be must unacceptable.

account information/passwords would also be an inconvenience.

Now assuming it IS important, how do you back it up now? I have only a
couple of TB of data that I can't afford to lose, and I back it up

I have two internal harddisks... I backup my data to the other harddisk.

I also have an external usb-harddisk which I bought cheaply from local electronics store... I don't quite trust it cause it's slow and makes a weird clicking sound... but it's better than nothing.

Used to use CD/DVDs for it too... even have some tucked away in a fault... which will probably have to go away from that place in coming years... but this is the worst backup medium because of "retention time" losses data because of temperature fluctuations/gravity bending back the pits that were carved into the metal... at least a temperature vault could protect against that a little bit... don't know if these dvd's/cd's in the fault are still working... since my cd/dvd drive is kaputt.... not much worth it anymore... though old computer could still read it... hence... glad I don't listen to my mom and "throw away" old computers lol.

with triple redundancy... to a removable hard drive every 5 days, and
to an always on-line NAS unit daily. I really can't imagine how I'd
back up 50 TB of data. But however you do it, why not simply connect
your backup system to the new computer and transfer the after backing
it up from the old computer?

Connecting big devices is always a risk because of voltage-differences...

Can you imagine 10 gigabit ethernet ? I can though...

I can even imagine 100 gigabit or something new technology...

But 10 gigabit sounds delicious for now. 6 hours to transfer 50 TB seems reasonable.

However.... I see a problem though.... The harddisks probably cannot feed 1 gigabyte/sec data transfer rate.

It will probably be more like 180 megabyte/sec or so....

So roughly 5 times slower... it's still 2 times faster then 1 gigabit ethernet.

So even based on these rough estimates... 10 gigabit ethernet is still a better choice for todays hardware.

At least transferring 10 terrabytes of solid state drives should go much faster.

Maybe other options exist like usb 2 usb cables... however... usb also has a power cables... and might fry computers... not sure about that... all these weird holes... plug it in the wrong one and POOF bye bye computer(s)...

Bye for now,
Skybuck.