Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing (notfuture-proof, no 10 GBe)

Old July 10th 19, 05:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

Default Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing (not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 23:22:54 -0400, Paul wrote:

T. Ment wrote:

You remind me of a kid in a computer store years ago. He told me he was
"grounded" because he was standing on a rubber mat. I thought it would
waste time trying to explain insulator vs. conductor. I never went back
to that store.

That depends entirely on what the mat is made of.

Rubber matting with conductive carbon particles
in it, can conduct. The matting might have a
resistance of around 1 megohm, which is ideal
for static electricity dissipation.

What I've learned over the years, is looks can be
deceiving.

All you have to do, is find the person who *paid*
for the fancy item, and they'll tell you the
magic properties :-) "It'll burn a hole in your wallet" :-)
That's one of the magic properties.

But then we have to consider the composition of his shoes, the floor
material, and the building. A wrist strap to earth ground seems easier.
Probably cheaper too.

Old July 10th 19, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 23:31:29 -0400, Paul wrote:

Char Jackson wrote:
On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 14:58:58 -0400, Paul wrote:

Skybuck mentioned not wanting a router in the picture, and
I assumed he's serially connecting his stuff in the horrible
ICS chain structure. Why else would you want two NICs on a
client PC ? Teaming and failover is a less likely reason.

Oh, ok. I read it differently, probably incorrectly. I read it as
wanting Internet access on the new PC along with network access to the
other PC, but no Internet access required on the other PC (so no ICS). I
rather figured that ICS had died off in the late 90's. Over the years,
I've found that some people don't realize they can do everything with a
single NIC that they can do with multiple NICs.

ICS is *still* available in Windows 10 :-)

Oh yes, I know it's still available, but I haven't really heard of
anyone seriously using it since the Win 95/98 days. As a joke, I once
used ICS for a very short period to let a VM get Internet access, but
obviously there are better ways to do that.

But I couldn't get a Bluetooth Piconet, to be
offered as a "candidate" in the drop-down menu
where you set that up.

I tried to get that running, as a kind of bar bet.
(Take the two nano BT transceivers I bought,
and get some use out of them.)

I followed your posts about that. You showed more interest and
determination than I would have been able to muster. :-)

Old July 10th 19, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Char Jackson wrote:

I followed your posts about that. You showed more interest and
determination than I would have been able to muster. :-)

I'd read some baloney somewhere, that the BT stack
had been "improved". And I was trying to imagine
7000 programmers working on this and what they
could come up with. Well, not much :-) I came
away... disappointed. Tricked again.

Paul
Old July 10th 19, 07:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 01:16:48 -0400, Paul wrote:

Char Jackson wrote:

I followed your posts about that. You showed more interest and
determination than I would have been able to muster. :-)

I'd read some baloney somewhere, that the BT stack
had been "improved". And I was trying to imagine
7000 programmers working on this and what they
could come up with. Well, not much :-) I came
away... disappointed. Tricked again.

Heh, so maybe not 7000 programmers. More like a couple of interns who
wanted to try something they thought they saw in college the week
before.

Old July 10th 19, 09:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 8:59:34 PM UTC+8, wrote:
Wow these 100 gigabit ethernet cards are still pretty pricey...

Better to wait for a few years and buy then... this does require the PC to be opened in the future and risking damage when installing it...

100 Gbps is getting ambitious.

25GBASE-T cards are not much more than 10GBASE-T, but the switches are rather
expensive. And also hot (10 W per port vs 5 W for 10 Gbps)
Old July 13th 19, 04:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 3:51:30 PM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 04:58:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

This year I will probably buy a new computer, I will probably wait for the 16 core ryzen, I've wait 13 years to buy a new computer and somebody I know thinks I should wait 2 more months to get the 16 core part lol.

There's always something newer and better just around the corner. Sooner
or later, if you're going to buy, you just have to jump.

For now I will investigate motherboards somewhat better to see which motherboard can actually power such a 16 core beast.

I am kinda a fan of ASRock though I never used their motherboards for a long period, but what I like about their boards is "overheat" protection which some claim every motherboard has but I am not so sure about that.

Anyway their Tachi X570 motherboard and especially the RGB looks very good/amazing !

But there is one thing that truely disappoints me a lot and that's two things actually:

1. First of all it only has 1 ethernet port ?! WTF where they thinking ?! How the **** do I connect my old computer and new computer AND INTERNET ?! without having to use some ****ing complex router crap ?! Big problem there.

Use an Ethernet switch to connect the two computers together. Unmanaged
8-port gigabit switches start at less than $15.

What part of 1 gigabit doesn't cut it don't you understand LOL.

Need 10 GBe for that or whatever... and those prices ****ing high.

Are you seeing what I don't like routers yet ?!

For 2 PC's seems a bit overkill... pricey and so forth.

Now if it could do internet maybe...

What if I bring my PC or laptop to somebody else... again see the problem here ? Do i need to bring my router along too... does laptop with 10 Gbe... would also be nice

Bye,
Skybuck-Not-A-Fan-Of-Routers-If-Easier-Solution-Exists-Or-Should-Exist.
Old July 13th 19, 04:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 8:55:51 PM UTC+2, T. Ment wrote:
On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 12:42:44 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

Now put "wide range of frequencies" and "frequency band" together. That
works, since both have "frequency"

What do you get? Looks like BROAD (wide) BAND to me.

No. Broadband is a term used to describe (fast) Internet access, i.e.
WAN access.

Dial up modems are WAN access too. In 1994, 28.8 kilobits per second was
fast. That was probably before you were born.

LOL Cool, this made my day...

I used a 2400 tornada baud modem once or something like that or was it 2800 ?

300 bytes/sec or something lol.

I still have it ! =D

Looks pretty awesome.

Bye,
Skybuck =D
Old July 13th 19, 04:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 3:29:39 PM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
wrote:
WOW,

It's worse then I thought, almost all over their new X570 motherboard have the same intel crap ethernet ports of 1 gigabit/sec

Only the phantom has 2.5 gigabit/sec.

While the competition is at 10 gigabit/sec

This is definetly going to eat into their sales of these motherboards I think.

Anybody with half a brain and some research is not going to buy these boards if they want to be future-proof.

Even 10 Gigabit/sec for these new processors and motherboards is on the low side... only pci express lane is already near 2 gigabyte/secs which is roughly 10 gigabit/sec ethernet port.

So x570 motherboards with 100 gigabit/sec ethernet ports would probably have sold like warm bread or something.

Doesn't seem like any of these motherboard has it though.

So the market for 100 gigabit/sec ethernet cards for pci-express 4.0 will become very real in the near future, say a couple of years from now.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Desktops begin to saturate at some level.

Buying whizzy I/O or storage for them, isn't a total
mistake, but you're also not getting as big of a
benefit as should happen.

To me, 10GbE is "all I'll ever need", simply because
the OS won't be able to drive the I/O any faster than that.

It's partially to do with the need for OSes to redesign
the I/O stack so they can work better.

But the need for increased storage and isolation features,
means more and more of performance is wasted in "CPU cycle crap",
and you simply won't be able to push the I/O faster. Even
if the CPU had a 100 cores and 5GHz operation, the 10GbE will
still be the right card.

It's the same with NVMe storage. Sure, they'll put PCI Express Rev4
on it soon. You'll run one benchmark on it, see a high number.
And... that'll be it. The OS still won't write more than 4K files
per second to the device, because the NTFS stack is so bad. Your
storage will be no better than my SATA SSD. And that's sad.

*******

The company that made the $70-$100 10GbE cards has been
bought out. You can expect prices to rise back to
non-competitive levels. There's no particular reason
for including those chips on motherboards now.

The new game in town is probably RealTek (2.5Gbit chip?).
RealTek will keep their price low, and drive the other
company away. But... it's only 2.5Gbit/sec, so hardly
a big deal. It'll be the 8139 all over again.

*******

It should take you around 30 days of shopping, to arrive
at the perfect choice. Study your motherboards well, Obiwan.

Paul

I'm Skeptical.

This will be for my soon-to-be-new PC which will have 16 cores at 4.0+ ghz.

So roughly 64 gigahertz processor.

If necessary I will develop my own 16- or 32-thread transfer program

64 gigahertz should be enough to transfer at 10 gigabit.

Though I can see it's a close match to some degree

I can understand problems with interrupt driven software... never was a fan of that...

Perhaps polling might be a solution.

No idea yet how windows 10 solves this problem or linux for that matter.

That reminds me I have to read an article about that. Thanks

Will do so tomorrow.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old July 13th 19, 04:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 8:59:00 PM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
Char Jackson wrote:

For Comp#2 to receive service, everything in the chain needs power.
And that costs money.

GbE GbE 10GbE
Broadband -------- entry_device ---------- Comp#1 --------- Comp#2
WAN ICS

Down here in the States, GbE on the WAN side is coming along very
slowly. It's available in my neighborhood for $60/month, but I'm lucky.
My guess is that it's available in less than 1% of total neighborhoods.
If it's common up in your neck of the woods, you're well ahead of us.

It's vaporware here. Supposed to be in Toronto.
Might be in a few appt buildings.

Skybuck mentioned not wanting a router in the picture, and
I assumed he's serially connecting his stuff in the horrible
ICS chain structure. Why else would you want two NICs on a
client PC ? Teaming and failover is a less likely reason.

Why would this be horrible ? Reduce bandwidth when both are being used ?

Can't be reason cause internet for now is way slower than local links

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old July 13th 19, 04:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Char Jackson wrote:

[...]

In the diagram, computer #1 must be powered in order for
computer #2 to have WAN access.

Let's say that computer #1 draws 100W at idle.

Now, if a router box could be used instead,
with a base power of 10W, and 5W additional power
for each LAN port (at 10GbE), then that only
draws 20 Watts. The router box saves power.

*******

I ran ICS long enough to do benchmarks once.

Back in the Win2K days, Win2K could only drive a
GbE interface at 40MB/sec (not 112MB/sec). And using
the diagram above, I could test this, without needing
a GbE switch. The networking gear at that time,
involved more 100BT NICs (11.2MB/sec). But I finally had two motherboards
with GbE on them to test.

Paul