Better FLAC Player ? Fast, Good playlist, Low CPU ?

Old May 6th 19, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Better FLAC Player ? Fast, Good playlist, Low CPU ?

Finally I'm fed up with VCL media player.

VCL Media Player's playlist feature has all kinds of issues, permission issues, sometimes hard to use... sometimes player lags while playing audio during gaming... tryed more buffering... also seems to consume lots of CPU.

I'll google if something better is out there.

I want:

1. Good playlist support, easy to add files and easy to open and play.

2. Fast start of player.

3. Low CPU usage.

Any recommendations ?

For PC.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old May 6th 19, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Hmmm I am gonna give foobar2000 a try ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck2000 ! =D
Old May 7th 19, 04:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 6 May 2019 14:17:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Finally I'm fed up with VCL media player.

The Russian program, Foobar. There's a couple audio sites and
discussions. It can be configured either way, low or hi-intensive CPU
use. Depends on plug-in modifications. A lot are like eye-candy GUI
crap to Foobar's basic text-style interface, and don't help, while a
few others can be very technically oriented for computer processed
sound encodes. Technical and impressive, yes, but it's also tends to
an ultimate quagmire for ferreting out, between obsolesce and
commercial publishers, the latest fads and fashions on the menu, in a
realworld of what and who gives a crap about what.

There's little homogeneity about standards and advancements when its
basically a Gangster Land of Copyrights. Think about it: [In a
possible Universe of Music] Why is the program, in the first place,
coded by Russians?

The plug-in's, for instance, need 3rd-party (free but there's only a
couple to find) "wrappers" for translating, depending, an interface to
the type of modules employed for processing, sound Fx and DSP modules.
More or less intensive, depending on how they're stacked. Everything,
though, at some point becomes intensive to a CPU once piled and
stacked.
Old May 7th 19, 06:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 06 May 2019 23:35:23 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Why is the program, in the first place, coded by Russians?

-
What is your soundchip doing. . . ASUS XONAR decided they'd make a
side-project for "Hi-Fi Enthusiasts". They picked a better Cirus
Logic chip, of regard, for the 3.5mm/1/8" analogue outputs. Or, on
some Xonar boards, the TOSLINK-S/PDIF carrier is laser cable:
Whereupon you pick your own DAC [decoder, hence, at the end of the
laser cable]. I like perhaps a shrillness of CS8416 digital receiver
chip, because I can tame it with both software EQ-ing through a
hardware tube-buffered stage at the input to my amps.

Or you use whatever flavor chip is surface mounted, if promoted, comes
on your MB.

Headphones. At a minimum to actually hear anything (approaching
decent studio monitors occasionally at decent sales). I found model
close-outs on both pairs, brands of speaker monitors I have (one new
factory model closeout brand, another from stereo demo units in a
brick-&-mortar going out of business. Along with Amps, mixers, & et
al, that headphones do not require.)

Gain riding. Start by not presuming effect modules, because the good
ones are so unbelievably nifty, sound so good only to be [further]
jacked-up. Stage compression and signal levels as appropriate for the
professionals, their soundbooths and gear, as a work of potential
entitled its own right. Listen for what they are doing, not your Fx
modules (turned inordinately, usually, too high for too-hot
processing). Sweet, spacious, with presence and dynamics. Recording
studio time should not be cheap for a reason, and all mix-downs aren't
necessarily for a $1000 of crap mandatorily added to a car purchase
price.

https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/
Proof is in the pudding. Vladislav Goncharov, seems I heard he was a
Russian space rocket scientist, or something, doing sound-processing
coding for passing spare time in pleasurable pursuits. Limiter No6, in
any event, is a good example of a work of art in "gain riding". There
is the good, no doubt even better yet, to the very technical about
sound;- as there is the crap to a GUI player built around a boytoy's
candy "skins".

The forums mentioned do tell. It's actually a project, with no bottom
in sight, more or less for progressing at your own pace, as to exactly
how good you actually want, or can achieve, to make what's within that
FLAC, for a derivative capacity of sound present to accurately render.

Last, the golden mean: Can you honestly claim to have the ears of
gold?
Old May 7th 19, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

wrote:

Finally I'm fed up with VCL media player.

I use Winamp.

Old May 7th 19, 06:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 07 May 2019 10:13:53 -0400, Larc
wrote:

I like PotPlayer and I have found it to be excellent with all types of audio and
video files including FLAC. There are 32 and 64 bit versions. One caviat: it's so
highly configurable that choices seem to be unending. Free, of course.

https://potplayer.daum.net/

Larc

Potplayer is the only thing I've used for the past 5 or 10 years. Some
don't like it for being Korean software. Although SMPlayer was "the
player" -- before PotPlayer showed up, distanced by a superior quality
-- SMPlayer then in turn has improved itself to be almost equal to
PotPlayer's video rendering.

I even managed a basic DSP wrapper for "broadcasting-grade" commercial
StereoTool, (also in English, I'm just behind TOR and likely echoing
off a German/Dutch relay). . .into PotPlayer.
http://forums.stereotool.com/viewtopic.php?t=1097
An older and limited version of StereoTool. That's something that
SMPlayer will not handle, DSP wrappers, last I looked, and is where
StereoTool really puts the dampers on a mess of blasted sound effects
the film industry dearly loves.

But it's still apples and oranges: video is video with incident or
it's own brand of sound, whereas stereo is something else entitled to
its own domain of high-end recording tools and, to some extent, a
decent capacity for players incorporating, no less, high-end
processing modules.

Which is where Foobar is at, besides being Russian and well-recognized
"presence", I've noticed they've had to adapt in some occasions, to
our customs, neither far from perhaps a likelihood over issues the
RIAA or broadcasting interests might otherwise have when viewing a
digital domain of computer advancements among enthusiasts of sound
reproduction.

Hm ... how now to say FLAC, when Amazon was for the longest, if not
still is, deliberately selling encoded music at some reduced sampling
rate, a lower subset within the original German invention, from 20 to
30 years back, of psychoacoustic MP3 software modeling.
Old May 7th 19, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
s|b

On Mon, 6 May 2019 14:17:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I want:

1. Good playlist support, easy to add files and easy to open and play.

2. Fast start of player.

3. Low CPU usage.

Any recommendations ?

AIMP

https://www.aimp.ru/

--
s|b
Old May 7th 19, 11:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

wrote:

Finally I'm fed up with VCL media player.

I use Winamp.

+1.
Go for the "lite" version. The full version is an overkill.
[]'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old May 8th 19, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Indeed love foobar almost from the moment I installed it and choose the simpelst form... very nice and neat.

I would love it if somebody could make a tutorial how to setup foobar for a creative x-fi elite pro soundblaster 7.1 for maximum enjoyment.

For now I am playing via PCM and 88khz for DSD/DTS/SACD discs... which sounds pretty amazing.

"Return of Pink Panther" iso I tried and was amazed by it's sound quality.

(Using Creative ASIO driver inside foobar2000... pretty cool).

Can't get DSD-only working though... output sample rate is too high it says... 178k... creative's dac can't handle it... not sure if down sampling is possible ? There is speak of asio-proxy and such not sure if that is what I would need).

I kinda wanna try out DSD only... like DSD to ASIO output to see if it makes any quality difference compared to PCM.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

*Good MB & Chip for a fast CAD machine Dennis Lubots Asus Motherboards 3 March 23rd 08 02:55 PM
good fast and quite HDD? Rayn Homebuilt PC's 5 December 5th 07 06:08 PM
Please HELP with FLAC files Lee Cdr 7 September 3rd 05 02:05 AM
Good and fast Color Laserjet? boe Printers 7 May 12th 05 08:36 PM
Anyone know a good deal on a good mp3 player? travel General 1 November 30th 04 11:51 PM