3dmark scores pathetically low?

Old November 18th 03, 03:53 PM
rms

Default 3dmark scores pathetically low?

I could not submit my results to Futuremark's online browser

Most likely because Nvidia drivers cheat up the wazoo, and Futuremark
has banned all older drivers. You also need the latest 3dmark patch.

BTW, the 5600 is a lousy card. Your score is about right! haha!

rms

Old November 18th 03, 07:16 PM
Fredericks

"rms" wrote in message
. com...
I could not submit my results to Futuremark's online browser

Most likely because Nvidia drivers cheat up the wazoo, and Futuremark
has banned all older drivers. You also need the latest 3dmark patch.

BTW, the 5600 is a lousy card. Your score is about right! haha!

rms

Anyone else have anything useful to add?

Pearlf

Old November 18th 03, 08:09 PM
Peter Cavan

Hi
As a reference, I have a P4 2.8C, 512MB PC3200 RAM, Radeon 9800np. I just up
the vid card speeds by 10/15MHz, flick off HT and I get 6000+. You should
easily get 3000+ with your system, but your vid card might let you down.
Better video card with less memory might have equalised things better.
Peter Cavan

---

Old November 19th 03, 12:01 AM
rms

do you gain by disabling hyperthreading??

I could be wrong, but I believe 3dmark doesn't use hyperthreading.
Therefore you should disable it for the benchmark. Aquamark3 otoh, does use
ht, and it should be enabled.

rms

Old November 19th 03, 10:38 PM
~misfit~

Strontium wrote:
-
Fredericks stood up at show-n-tell, in ,
and said:

"Strontium" wrote in message

-
Fredericks stood up at show-n-tell, in
,
and said:

"rms" wrote in message
. com...
I could not submit my results to Futuremark's online browser

Most likely because Nvidia drivers cheat up the wazoo, and
Futuremark has banned all older drivers. You also need the latest
3dmark patch.

BTW, the 5600 is a lousy card. Your score is about right!
haha!

rms

Anyone else have anything useful to add?

Yeah. Get a 9800pro.

snip

My original intention with this thread was to get an idea of what is
an acceptable score given my hardware and what is not. If I had the
budget to afford a Radeon 9800 Pro (just over ZAR5000, pretty much an
entire month's salary for the mid-class patron on the better side of
the fence in South Africa), course I'd get one.

Well, the hardware you have seems decent enough. I wouldn't use
3DMark as a gauge (that's more of a ****ing contest for people that
CAN afford 9800pro's, like me next week!). Instead, use real games
and/or apps that you actually use and decide if the performance is
acceptable to you.

Good call Strontium, I was about to write something along similar lines. If
the machine does what you want it to do then forget about the benchmarks.
They are sometimes useful for tweaking/comparing hardware after changes but
are mainly used for bragging.

My machine (XP2200+/512MB/GF4ti4200/128MB) returns miserable scores running
3DMark '03 but is more than adequate for the gaming I do.
--
~misfit~