GA-7VAXP How Accurate is Temp Sensor?

Old February 13th 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default GA-7VAXP How Accurate is Temp Sensor?

I have this board running an XP2500+ (Barton) at standard speeds. The CPU
temperature is reported as 57 C at idle but if I feel the heatsink it's
barely warm (certainly not uncomfortable to touch). So, I'm wondering
whether the temperature is being repoted incorrectly (BIOS and SiV say the
same) and I can stop worrying.

Advice anyone??

TIA

Ian

Old February 13th 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

I use the same board but with a AMD2000+ CPU, from memory I think mine
was about 42 deg certainly was'nt higher, obviously a faster CPU would
run a little warmer.

If you Google the CPU type guess you would be able to pick the CPU
data out re temperatures limits. I would imagine there's some give
and take with the Bios temp readings, doubt it's laboratory standard
stuff.

Don't forget the fan will be 'blasting' the hot air away from the
heatsink and the sink will feel cooler.

Been meaning to get a faster CPU but seem quite satisified with the
AMD2000+, gee when I built this in Oct 2002 the CPU was around £80
now they are twice as less....! Ever want another mobo think I'll
stick with Gigabyte.

Did have a problem with the Northbridge Fan, got on to a Gigabyte
distributor here in the UK and they sent me 3 free ones... only
asked for one, the trend is to remove the heatsink and fit a passive
one....way off topic now.

Davy