Large Green Mute sign in top right of screen?

Old November 3rd 03, 08:30 PM
John Hardaker

Default Large Green Mute sign in top right of screen?

Trying to help a lady with a Packard Bell Computer.
Have inserted an Audigy card and switched off the on-board sound in the
Bios. Cannot find what it is that is causing this Mute. Cannot get at any of
the Mute buttons of the Volume controls as they are greyed out. Cannot find
anything in the Bios that is doing this.
Can anybody assist please?
Any help appreciated.

Old November 3rd 03, 09:20 PM
h20psi

Does it show up in the control panel? Also check the multimedia
setting in control panel to enable the new card for sounds. Then in sounds
select an sound scheme. You really didn't give enough info but it sounds
like a setting. Also double check the speakers are plugged in
to right hole. Ive made all these mistakes myself, going by experience.
Hope you get it.

so On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:30:11 -0000, John Hardaker

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old November 3rd 03, 10:32 PM
Elector

"John Hardaker" wrote in message
Trying to help a lady with a Packard Bell Computer.
Have inserted an Audigy card and switched off the on-board sound in

the
Bios. Cannot find what it is that is causing this Mute. Cannot get

at any of
the Mute buttons of the Volume controls as they are greyed out.

Cannot find
anything in the Bios that is doing this.
Can anybody assist please?
Any help appreciated.

Hi John: ( I removed your email address to try and stop you from being
spam harvested but it may be too late)

Creative labs has known issues with this type of sound card. Not
knowing what OS your using or how the system devices are set up (Any
add on devices not there on purchase etc) the best guess I can give is
a device conflict.

If you open the System Properties and under device manager look at
"sound, video and game controllers" and see if there are any yellow or
red exclamation points that may be causing the problem.

Another thing to remember that you system must be able to handle the
drivers for this device. many up to date OS's like ME and Windows XP
have I believe built in drivers but you may want to still load the
drivers that came with the sound card.

Another thing to try is remove the card and place everything
(settings) back to what they were originally and don't touch any BIOS
setting and still install the card. You then can disable the device
(Onboard) via the device manager by unchecking the box that say's "Use
this in all profiles" you then on restart see if the new card works
and then your system will be OK.

Another thing is try a different generic sound card in the system and
see if the system you have is able to sustain the device. many times
the system cannot handle a certain device and will need to be adjusted
via a different sound card. (If another card works and the Audgy does
not still work it can be the card is not made for the computer or the
card its self may be faulty).

I once used a Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI 128 in one of my home
builds that worked great, I went out and bought this Malibu made by
Turtle Beach Voyetta and it never worked properly, I went through 2 of
them and the customer service guy said sometimes certain systems
cannot handle certain cards. It does happen.

Try my suggestions and see if that solves the problem or finds the
problem.

Like the other poster stated it could be a simple setting as well, but
its always best to look at all the angles of the situation.

I hope I helped?

Elector

Old November 4th 03, 04:54 AM
metronid

A little ifo
What packard bell
Is it pci 2.1 compliant
I believe tha Audigy is only 2.1

Specifics on the card

Old November 5th 03, 12:36 PM
Simon Craddock

Do you by chance have a Multi-Media keyboard with the extra buttons
controlling sound vol, pause, etc??
Its probably still looking for the onboard soundcard in its settings and
needs telling theres a new soundcard.
Maybe theres some keyboard controlling software installed???

Simon

Old November 5th 03, 02:56 PM

John:

The green "MUTE" is coming from a program that is or is attempting to
control one of those sound cards. It is probably being loaded at boot
time. If the PC is booted in safe mode, does the "MUTE" disappear?

To help identify the program, run either MSCONFIG (part of Widows) or
get a copy of Startup Manager from
http://www.pobox.com/~bstowers/delphi/ in the Freeware section.

Both of these programs will identify, and let you control, what
programs are loaded at boot. If you are lucky, you will be able to
identify the program from its name. If not, you will need to disable
programs, one at a time, until you stop the "MUTE" display.

Good luck!

View the UPDATED FAQ for alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell on the
Yahoogroup,

Old November 5th 03, 10:13 PM
Elector

"Simon Craddock" wrote in message
Do you by chance have a Multi-Media keyboard with the extra buttons
controlling sound vol, pause, etc??
Its probably still looking for the onboard soundcard in its settings

and
needs telling theres a new soundcard.
Maybe theres some keyboard controlling software installed???

Simon

Hi Simon:

Unfortunately, after I answered this posters question I never have
seen any reply to the solutions I gave first in the thread. Then I
noticed Metronid and you also gave an answer and the poster has not
returned. I often wonder if what we give as solutions actually worked.
Ha ha

Elector

Old November 6th 03, 10:16 AM
Simon Craddock

"Elector" wrote in message

"Simon Craddock" wrote in message
Do you by chance have a Multi-Media keyboard with the extra buttons
controlling sound vol, pause, etc??
Its probably still looking for the onboard soundcard in its settings

and
needs telling theres a new soundcard.
Maybe theres some keyboard controlling software installed???

Simon

Hi Simon:

Unfortunately, after I answered this posters question I never have
seen any reply to the solutions I gave first in the thread. Then I
noticed Metronid and you also gave an answer and the poster has not
returned. I often wonder if what we give as solutions actually worked.
Ha ha

Elector

Often wonder myself....a good many people fail to reply and say if the
problem as been sorted.
Oh well.....

Old November 6th 03, 11:11 AM
Elector

"Simon Craddock" wrote in message
snip

Often wonder myself....a good many people fail to reply and say if

the
problem as been sorted.
Oh well.....

Hi Simon:

Last evening I noticed on my HP Laptop that the "Onetouch" buttons on
activation show a "green" word for what your using. (Email, Internet,
Lock, TV) I also noticed that the green "volume" for the internal
sound card. So the original posters should do as I told them to do and
remove the device after install via the "Disable this device in all
profiles" since it would seem to be the onboard sound.

Elector

Old November 6th 03, 10:25 PM
John Hardaker

Thank you all for your input. I noted the green alerts on the screen which
came from the buttons on the keyboard and wondered if it was anything to do
with that.
I tried various things as suggested but, due to pressure from the lady who
owned the computer, I re-formatted C: and started again. I was really
pleased when I heard the opening jingle. She had so much stuff on her
machine, none of which meant anything to her. I concluded the problem was
that the sound card had not been installed properly by somebody. Another
person had been trying and took the Audigy out as it would not work. Good
solution of course. Disable the on-board sound in the Bios is required or
else you have two sound cards at once.
After all that PrintMusic 2000 would not play the voices selected and
another wailing session from the lady. It took me some time to find the
solution to that but that is something else.
She has not phoned for a couple of days - peace at last.
PS: PCWorld's help line number was by the phone.