Memory controller test

Old November 28th 04, 07:21 PM
Dan N

Default Memory controller test

New system set up consists of:
MSI Neo2 Platinum v 7025(s939) (Bios 1.36)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2x512MB Corsair XML Pro RAM (2.5-3-3-8)
BFG 6800 Ultra OC
2x160GB Maxtor IDE HDD (Raid 0)
Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI controller
LiteOn 811S DVD RW+/-
LiteOn 163D DVD R

My system remains unstable after changing/testing/upgrading almost every
part on this new system. At certain times, seemingly memory intensive
apps, predominately during games, my system crashes hard. In order to
make it somewhat stable I've lowered my memory speeds (see above specs).
The RAM is supposed to run at 2-2-2-5. Additionally, if I try to OC
the CPU, using MSI's BIOS tool, the system crashes all the time.
Therefore, I'm not able to push memory or CPU at all.

I've swapped out the motherboard and that has not helped. I've swapped
out the video card and that helped immensely (old card was Bloody
Monster GeForce 5200FX). However, it still crashes with new card on
occasion without pushing it's limits, and regularly if you do try to
push limits.

Additionally, I've tested each stick of RAM using memtest (together &
independently). With the old video card it came back with memory errors
regularly. Now I don't get the memory errors with memtest. I've also
tested the memory on another system and it comes back without error.

I've talked to tech support at MSI (replaced motherboard) and Corsair
(pointed toward video card), both have helped me get the system stable
to this point, but they aren't able to do any more. They are now
pointing me to look at the CPU and to work with AMD next; thinking it
could be a memory controller problem.

Are there any tools available to test the stability of the memory
controller in the CPU? Are there any other recommendations that any of
you could recommend to further determine the root cause of problems.

Thank you in advance.
Dan
Old November 28th 04, 10:27 PM
Roy

get the 1.37 or 1.41B beta bios
I got the 1.41 beta bios by googling it.
I was not able to oc at all until I got the 1.41 beta bios.

Old November 29th 04, 12:15 AM
Strings.

What do you have for a Power supply and how old is it,?? You have a great
many cards and storage devices.
Men test is not totally reliable and I would not trust it as a accurate. If
there is a local shop with a proper hardware memory tester ask to have them
checked. Did you try the cas at 3 to see if it ran stable ?
Poor Video Ram causes more problems that main system ram. I never heard of
BFG but I checked and it would seem that make a good card with Samsung ram
chips 1.6ns GDDR3 Sweet. There is a great deal of counterfeit system ram
sold over read on tech news that at one time 20% of the Hynix in Europe was
fake.
Could you borrow a Via chipset board to check its not a chipset problem
causing compatible problems with other cards.

Old November 29th 04, 02:07 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:21:40 +0000, Dan N wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a power supply problem. The fact that changing the graphics
card makes it better is a smoking gun. Which power supply are you using?

Old November 30th 04, 02:10 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:16:36 +0000, Dan N wrote:

Power supply is Thermaltake Butterfly PurePower 480

That should be adequate but it's possible that it has a problem. Try
swapping it out for another supply, perhaps an Antec 550.
Old December 5th 04, 09:20 AM
Tim Burgess

Try testing using prime95 torture test, Superpi or other math type
benchmarks, SisoftSandra also has some, or HotCpuTester

"Dan N" wrote in message
[...]

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Onboard Memory Controller rstlne AMD x86-64 Processors 2 June 30th 04 07:08 AM
64 benches Ed Light AMD x86-64 Processors 2 April 4th 04 08:16 PM
"Safe" memory testing Timothy Lee General 1 March 8th 04 08:04 PM