CPU started overheating for no reason.

Old September 9th 05, 04:23 PM

Default CPU started overheating for no reason.

HI, I'm running a P4 3.0 on XP Pro

It's been running fine for the last few months but all of a sudden I
can't get it to stop restarting.

Sometimes I can get as far as logging on to XP and other times it only
gets as far as the loading screen before a blue screen Shudder
flashes up, too quick to read.

I checked the bios and the CPU is running at 65-75 degrees!!!!!
I've tried swapping the RAM round and replacing it with some spare but
it doesn't seem to affect it.

I've only built a few (4/5) pc's before but have never seen this
problem before. I haven't changed any h/ware at all. The only thing I
can think of is that I think we had a power cut a few days before but
can't really see this having any affect?

Please help...

Regards

Skinner

Old September 9th 05, 04:25 PM
MrGrumpy

The obvious response would be that the cpu fan has failed, and or is
intermitant in operation.
Perhaps run the sys, carefully! - with an open case and watch/listen

oups.com...

Old September 9th 05, 09:21 PM
John McGaw

HI, I'm running a P4 3.0 on XP Pro

It's been running fine for the last few months but all of a sudden I
can't get it to stop restarting.

Sometimes I can get as far as logging on to XP and other times it only
gets as far as the loading screen before a blue screen Shudder
flashes up, too quick to read.

I checked the bios and the CPU is running at 65-75 degrees!!!!!
I've tried swapping the RAM round and replacing it with some spare but
it doesn't seem to affect it.

I've only built a few (4/5) pc's before but have never seen this
problem before. I haven't changed any h/ware at all. The only thing I
can think of is that I think we had a power cut a few days before but
can't really see this having any affect?

Please help...

Regards

Skinner

As McGrumpy wrote, a failed/failing CPU cooler fan is a definite
possibility. Another possibility is that the cooler has loosened somehow
and is no longer making good contact with the processor. Also, you might
want to make sure that all BIOS settings are at their safe default
values -- I've had at least one system brought to me where the processor
FSB was "mysteriously" cranked up and the system was being overclocked
by 15-20%. The owner denied doing the deed and it amazed me that the P4
was able to run at that speed with standard core and memory voltages.
But it sure was running hot enough to cause all manner of erratic
problems and shutdowns.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old September 12th 05, 10:25 AM

It isn't the HSF or BIOS.

Have even replaced the crappy white thermal pad with Artic Silver.

It might help if I could see the blue screen before the system reboots,
any idea how I might manage that? Have thought of maybe turning off
overheat protection on the BIOS so I can have just long enough to read
the blue screen.

Am really pulling my hair out with this.

Is it possibly something to do with the PSU or Mobo being shagged?

Cheers

Skinner

Old September 13th 05, 10:55 AM

Ok, sounds good but I can't get that far, it normally restarts just as
it brings up the windows loading screen with the coloured line going
across under the win logo.

Cheers