USB stick acting funny (Prolific / U-storage)

Old September 12th 05, 07:27 PM
Sonnich Jensen

Default USB stick acting funny (Prolific / U-storage)

I have a problem with a USB stick, which I use on Win98 and XP. By some
reason, the file remain there only as long as it is in the computer,
sometimes on W98 it stays. But sure is, that one simple switch even in/out
from the same computer using XP and the file is not accessible (user
rights?).

Story:
I got an USB stick, which I intended to use between my W98 and XP computers.

I got one, which should work (called U-storage), which came with a driver
for W98. I installed it, and as one could expect it did not work. Later I
found that it is from http://www.prolific.com.tw and got a driver from there
(http://tech.prolific.com.tw/visitor/v_fileBrw.asp ).

I does not work, I cannot save either large files or known file types (word
and mpg by some wierd reason) on W98, and on XP I can save a file ( which
first gives a write protect error), then I can actually read the file...
next after just unplugging it and plugging again, it does not allow to read
the file at all.

Is this normal?

I should mention, that once or twice I did succeed in compying files, but
always there were a number of files, which were broken, and that increased
until now. It has been formatted a number of times for that reason.