1501 LMi Woes

Old June 11th 04, 10:25 AM
Woohoo

Default 1501 LMi Woes

Hi,

I have a 1501 LMi laptop and my initial enthusiasm for the machine has been
replaced with disappointment. Just about EVERY 3D application I've tried so
far has the same problem: polygons missing or flickering in and out of
existence on certain surfaces.

I mailed Acer tech support but all they said was "looks like a driver issue,
there are no planned updates to the existing drivers". Pretty cr@appy
response! Right now I feel like throwing the thing in the junk - I bought
this laptop ad a desktop replacement, all the reviews I read said it played
UT 2004 fine. Could this be my first and last Acer ever?

The applications I have tried a
- the mobility radeon demos from the ATI site (that's right folks it won't
even run applications written specifically for the mobility radeon).
- unreal tournament 2004 demo
- starwars galaxies
- theif deadly shadows demo

Has anyone else had similar problems or is it just my machine?
If it's not just my machine is there any way of getting round it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Julian R. Hirst

Old June 11th 04, 02:26 PM
Dennis Pogson

Woohoo wrote:
Oops, This is an Acer 1501 LMI.

Cheers,

Julian Hirst
"Woohoo" wrote in message
[...]

There's been a lot of stuff about Acer laptops in previous posts to this NG,
most of which is rather uncomplementory, better you read the last 3 weeks
posts.

Remove "nospam" from return address.

Old June 11th 04, 03:14 PM
Good Man

"Woohoo" wrote in
:

Hi,

I have a 1501 LMi laptop and my initial enthusiasm for the machine has
been replaced with disappointment. Just about EVERY 3D application
I've tried so far has the same problem: polygons missing or flickering
in and out of existence on certain surfaces.

I mailed Acer tech support but all they said was "looks like a driver
issue, there are no planned updates to the existing drivers". Pretty
cr@appy response!

don't email them, call them. it seems you have a serious issue. is it
relatively new, and are you the person it is warranted under? if so,
demand a fix. not sure where you are, but here in toronto they promise a
2-hour turnaround time at service depots. call and investigate. it
sounds like too serious a problem to leave to email.

The applications I have tried a
- the mobility radeon demos from the ATI site (that's right folks it
won't even run applications written specifically for the mobility
radeon).

that's an indication of a serious problem. maybe your graphics card is
shorted or something.

Has anyone else had similar problems or is it just my machine?

my guess is that its just your machine, hence the demand for service.
Old June 13th 04, 11:46 AM
Stephen Usher

Woohoo wrote:
I have a 1501 LMi laptop and my initial enthusiasm for the machine has been
replaced with disappointment. Just about EVERY 3D application I've tried so
far has the same problem: polygons missing or flickering in and out of
existence on certain surfaces.

That does sound like a software problem, but equally, seeing as the
graphics chips these days are doing a lot of the processing it could be
a fault in the card logic.

I mailed Acer tech support but all they said was "looks like a driver issue,
there are no planned updates to the existing drivers". Pretty cr@appy
response! Right now I feel like throwing the thing in the junk - I bought
this laptop ad a desktop replacement, all the reviews I read said it played
UT 2004 fine. Could this be my first and last Acer ever?

Have you tried going to the ATI website and downloading their latest
drivers? They are very much more likely to be the latest version. All
vendors seem to lag behind with drivers. I've experiences driver lag
from the likes of Dell, so Acer isn't alone.

The applications I have tried a
- the mobility radeon demos from the ATI site (that's right folks it won't
even run applications written specifically for the mobility radeon).
- unreal tournament 2004 demo
- starwars galaxies
- theif deadly shadows demo

Has anyone else had similar problems or is it just my machine?
If it's not just my machine is there any way of getting round it?

Well, I've played Unreal II on my 1502LMi and it's fine. I would suggest
initially trying ATI for the driver then making a hardware fault call.

Steve
Old June 13th 04, 01:38 PM
Justin Baker

"Woohoo" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a 1501 LMi laptop and my initial enthusiasm for the machine has

been
replaced with disappointment. Just about EVERY 3D application I've tried

so
far has the same problem: polygons missing or flickering in and out of
existence on certain surfaces.

I've got a 1501 LCe with the same graphics hardware and UT2004 looks fine at
first glance - should the problem be very obvious, or do you have to look
for it?

JB