1 Gigibit Ethernet - Slow?

Old May 22nd 04, 03:19 PM
Brandon Brown

Default 1 Gigibit Ethernet - Slow?

I bought 2 Dlink DGE-530T 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) Ethernet cards to replace my
10/100 Mbps. To test it, I installed on 2 WinXP computers and linked with a
Cat 5
crossover cable. The icons on the system tray showed "Speed: 1 Gbps" on both
computers

Then, I tried to download some files form one computer to another using both
Share drive and Webserver, the result was so disappointed... on average
it's about 3 MB/sec which is about 24 Mbps -- 24% of 100 Mbps!!! My old
10/100 Mbps could do the same???!!!! I assume 1000 Mbps would give me at
least 200 Mbps in trasfer speed! Am I correct?

Did I do something wrong? Is there something I need to setup in Windows,
registry or some settings in driver to
get faster speed? please help.

Thanks

Old May 22nd 04, 03:52 PM
Mike Walsh

The bottleneck is probably one of your hard drives. Try transferring a large (e.g. 500 MB) unfragmented file. You might need faster drives, maybe a new RAID0 setup.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old May 22nd 04, 04:25 PM
Cuzman

"Brandon Brown" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

" I assume 1000 Mbps would give me at least 200 Mbps in trasfer speed! Am I
correct? "

If you put a huge exhaust on a **** car, it doesn't become a Ferrari. You
are always limited by the slowest link in the chain.

The 32-bit PCI bus bandwidth is limited to 127.2Mbps, so 200Mbps is
unrealistic. At the moment, gigabit ethernet (GbE) only tends to show real
improvements for network backbones with 64-bit PCI 2.1 bus speeds.
PCI-Express motherboards with Serial-ATA RAID-0 configurations will improve
GbE speeds for workstations over the coming year, but you still might not
reach 200Mbps with that.

Old May 22nd 04, 07:16 PM
*Vanguard*

Brandon Brown said in
.cable.rogers.com:
I bought 2 Dlink DGE-530T 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) Ethernet cards to
replace my 10/100 Mbps. To test it, I installed on 2 WinXP computers
and linked with a Cat 5
crossover cable. The icons on the system tray showed "Speed: 1 Gbps"
on both computers

Then, I tried to download some files form one computer to another
using both Share drive and Webserver, the result was so
disappointed... on average it's about 3 MB/sec which is about 24 Mbps
-- 24% of 100 Mbps!!! My old 10/100 Mbps could do the same???!!!!
I assume 1000 Mbps would give me at least 200 Mbps in trasfer speed!
Am I correct?

Did I do something wrong? Is there something I need to setup in
Windows, registry or some settings in driver to
get faster speed? please help.

Thanks

What happens if you setup a ramdrive on each host and transfer files
between those?

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Old May 22nd 04, 09:22 PM
kony

On Sat, 22 May 2004 16:25:13 +0100, "Cuzman"
wrote:

"Brandon Brown" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...

" I assume 1000 Mbps would give me at least 200 Mbps in trasfer speed! Am I
correct? "

If you put a huge exhaust on a **** car, it doesn't become a Ferrari. You
are always limited by the slowest link in the chain.

The 32-bit PCI bus bandwidth is limited to 127.2Mbps, so 200Mbps is
unrealistic. At the moment, gigabit ethernet (GbE) only tends to show real
improvements for network backbones with 64-bit PCI 2.1 bus speeds.
PCI-Express motherboards with Serial-ATA RAID-0 configurations will improve
GbE speeds for workstations over the coming year, but you still might not
reach 200Mbps with that.

Nope, PC bus limit is around 127 MegaBYTES = 1000 MegaBITS.
In a PC the PCI bus is one of the bottlenecks, but nowhere near signifiant
enough to prevent 200Mbps the OP expected.

Old May 22nd 04, 09:23 PM
Bubba

Brandon Brown's log on stardate 22 svi 2004

Then, I tried to download some files form one computer to another
using both Share drive and Webserver, the result was so
disappointed... on average it's about 3 MB/sec which is about 24 Mbps
-- 24% of 100 Mbps!!! My old 10/100 Mbps could do the same???!!!!
I assume 1000 Mbps would give me at least 200 Mbps in trasfer speed!
Am I correct?

Cabel? Length?

--
If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do ?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in
Old May 22nd 04, 09:26 PM
Brandon Brown

Cat 5 cable, less than 10 feet.. as I said in first message, I bought the
cards just to test it to see if I want to invest in the 1 Gbps switch
(switch is expensive)

.. .

Old May 22nd 04, 09:26 PM
Brandon Brown

That's a VERY good idea... I should try that.

"*Vanguard*" wrote in message
Brandon Brown said in
.cable.rogers.com:

Old May 22nd 04, 09:27 PM
kony

On Sat, 22 May 2004 14:19:18 GMT, "Brandon Brown"
wrote:

I bought 2 Dlink DGE-530T 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) Ethernet cards to replace my
10/100 Mbps. To test it, I installed on 2 WinXP computers and linked with a
Cat 5
crossover cable. The icons on the system tray showed "Speed: 1 Gbps" on both
computers

Then, I tried to download some files form one computer to another using both
Share drive and Webserver, the result was so disappointed... on average
it's about 3 MB/sec which is about 24 Mbps -- 24% of 100 Mbps!!! My old
10/100 Mbps could do the same???!!!! I assume 1000 Mbps would give me at
least 200 Mbps in trasfer speed! Am I correct?

Did I do something wrong? Is there something I need to setup in Windows,
registry or some settings in driver to
get faster speed? please help.

Thanks

Is your crossover cable fully wired for Gb, or only Mb?

Gb uses all 4 pairs of wires,
http://logout.sh/computers/net/gigabit/

I don't know if such a cable problem would result or change the "1 Gbps"
icon you see or not.. in a perfect world it would, but in this one???
Old May 22nd 04, 10:43 PM
DaveW

GB ethernet will run over Cat. 5 cable no faster than 100 Mbps. GB ethernet
requires Cat. 6 cable.

--
DaveW

Slow network Michael Culley General 0 May 9th 04 02:17 PM
Slow BIOS News Groupie General 0 March 18th 04 05:30 PM
Integrated Ethernet not working Chris Fonville General 7 February 23rd 04 07:43 PM
Slow hard drive in windows XP Wayne Morgan General 1 January 25th 04 09:11 PM
ethernet hardware question Someone Somewhere General 43 October 29th 03 02:28 AM