Problems with dual monitors

Old December 9th 04, 03:03 AM
ModeratelyConfused

Default Problems with dual monitors

Hi all,

I'm trying to get dual monitors (two Mag Innovision 17") working. I'm
running Windows XP, and I have two video cards, a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000,
and a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440. I have a Soyo P41 845PE Mobo with 512mb ram
and a P4 2.8C 800FSB processor, along with a 420 Thermaltake PSU. I'm
having a problem getting both monitors to work at the same time.
I'm postive that both cards and both monitors work. I take one of the
cards out, and try both monitors, and vice versa. I have my main vid card
in PCI slot 0, and I've tried the second card in all other slots. It
resides in slot 1 now. The problem is when I get the computer to boot
(sometimes it gets to a black screen, after POST, and after the Windows
splash screen, and just hangs, eventually rebooting.) I go to the device
manager and it recognizes both cards. I then go to the display property
settings, and I see an option to span to the other monitor. I check the
box, and I hit either OK, or Apply. Every time the computer freezes
immediately after clicking, and then reboots after a period of time (45
seconds??). Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

Thanks,

MC

Old December 9th 04, 03:30 AM
JAD

"ModeratelyConfused" wrote in message
[...]

I have not had allot of luck doing this myself. I think out of 6 combos of
different cards in 3 different attempts, I got 1 to work. That was in
windows 9X type OS. AGP - PCI setup of 2 SIS cards. It was less than
inspiring. If this is a setup that is needed and not just trying for the
sake of it, I would look for a dual head card.

Old December 9th 04, 08:43 AM
Rez Manzoori

"JAD" wrote in message

[...]

When you try to enable the dual monitor view, what resolution / refresh rate
are you applying?

And have you looked he http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/db.asp

Cheers!
--
Rez Manzoori
Remove 'Mykeks' to respond

Old December 9th 04, 09:22 AM
John Doe

http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=192

[...]

Not much. I have had little problem configuring dual monitors on my
own AMD personal computers. Maybe I have always used a combination
of AGP and PCI video cards. It shouldn't be like a rocket science.
Good luck.

Old December 9th 04, 08:22 PM
John Doe

"ModeratelyConfused" wrote:

I'm trying to get dual monitors (two Mag Innovision 17")
working. I'm running Windows XP, and I have two video cards, a
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000, and a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 [both are PCI
video cards]

Have you tried updating your video card drivers?
Old December 9th 04, 09:38 PM
ModeratelyConfused

"John Doe" wrote in message
"ModeratelyConfused" wrote:

I'm trying to get dual monitors (two Mag Innovision 17")
working. I'm running Windows XP, and I have two video cards, a
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000, and a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 [both are PCI
video cards]

Have you tried updating your video card drivers?

Yup, I'm running the latest drivers, for both video cards. I've tried
to keep the monitor at a lower resolution when I hit Apply, but it still
freezes up. I guess I'll try it at 640, or whatever the lowest resolution
is. If that doesn't work, I'll just return the card and save up for a dual
head one.
Just wondering, was the mobo link to dispute the 800Mhz FSB processor,
or was it just to help out everyone? Cause even SOYO tech support doesn't
know that this board DOES support the processor I have in it.

MC

Old December 9th 04, 09:55 PM
John Doe

"ModeratelyConfused" wrote:

Just wondering, was the mobo link to dispute the 800Mhz FSB

processor, or was it just to help out everyone?

I gather/process information before doing anything.

Cause even SOYO tech support doesn't know that this board DOES
support the processor I have in it.

Have you tried flashing the BIOS (for advanced users) and updating the
mainboard drivers?
Old December 9th 04, 10:19 PM
ModeratelyConfused

"John Doe" wrote in message
"ModeratelyConfused" wrote:

Just wondering, was the mobo link to dispute the 800Mhz FSB

processor, or was it just to help out everyone?

I gather/process information before doing anything.

Cause even SOYO tech support doesn't know that this board DOES
support the processor I have in it.

Have you tried flashing the BIOS (for advanced users) and updating the
mainboard drivers?

Yep, it has the latest BIOS, and the latest mainboard drivers.

MC

Old December 10th 04, 07:54 PM
ModeratelyConfused

"John Doe" wrote in message
"ModeratelyConfused" wrote:

Just wondering, was the mobo link to dispute the 800Mhz FSB

processor, or was it just to help out everyone?

I gather/process information before doing anything.

Cause even SOYO tech support doesn't know that this board DOES
support the processor I have in it.

Have you tried flashing the BIOS (for advanced users) and updating the
mainboard drivers?

Yep, it has the latest BIOS, and the latest mainboard drivers.

MC

Problem solved, I returned the extra card and bought a dual headed one.
Dual monitors are great!

MC

Old December 10th 04, 10:59 PM
John Doe

"ModeratelyConfused" wrote:

Problem solved, I returned the extra card and bought a dual headed
one. Dual monitors are great!

For what it's worth, dual monitors can be very useful IMO when you
really want to get something(s) done. Otherwise, you might not
appreciate the extra load.

You might want to keep the other video card as a spare.

Have fun.

dual monitors Mary E. Hill General 14 November 5th 04 03:42 PM
Biostar dual channel problems Craig Homebuilt PC's 2 September 25th 04 07:19 AM
dual monitors? David Ciemny General 13 July 28th 04 06:54 PM
Dual CPU systems - still worth it? Mr. Grinch Overclocking AMD Processors 9 May 2nd 04 09:02 AM
Problems mixing dual and single sided DIMMS ?? zack General 5 October 23rd 03 06:19 AM