IDE ribbon cable connectors orientation

Old April 24th 04, 06:01 PM
Art

Default IDE ribbon cable connectors orientation

Ordinarily I setup up my IDE/ATAPI devices in the following configuration
(from top to bottom bays):
CD/DVD ROM - Primary Slave
HDD (removable rack) - Primary Master
HDD (removable rack) - Secondary Master
DVD/CD burner - Secondary Slave

For my purposes, this is an ideal configuration, however, there is a problem
in connecting my two Primary devices with the usual IDE ribbon cable (18").
The middle (Slave) connector on the cable is always keyed so that it's
necessary to make a very sharp twist in the cable in order to connect that
middle connector to the Primary Slave device that is installed above the
Primary Master. Some time ago I came across an IDE ribbon cable whose middle
connector was oriented in such a way that I could connect those two devices
without sharply twisting the cable. But I've never been able to locate
another one with the same orientation.

I do not wish to change my hardware configuration as indicated above. Also,
I realize I could use a round cable to achieve my objective as well as a
longer (24") ribbon cable, however, I would prefer to use an IDE ribbon
cable not exceeding 18" in length.

If anyone could point me to a source (in the U. S.) for the item I want, I
would be grateful.

Art

Old April 25th 04, 05:29 AM
Art

"Conor" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
[...]

Why is the extra length a problem?

--
Conor

The official specification for any ATA interface calls for a maximum cable
length not to exceed 457 mm, or 18". This applies to both 40-wire and
80-wire cables. I'm aware that longer cables (both flat ribbon and round)
have been used without any apparent performance degradation, however, I
desire to stay within specifications.

Art

Old April 25th 04, 05:31 AM
Toshi1873

In article ,
says...
[...]

www.cyberguys.com would be my only guess... (they have
lots of bits and pieces).

However, it may be much simpler to just buy a PCI IDE
card and hook the last 2 devices to that on their own
cables.
Old April 25th 04, 11:17 PM
Kevin Lawton

Conor wrote:
| In article ,
| says...
|| Ordinarily I setup up my IDE/ATAPI devices in the following
|| configuration (from top to bottom bays):
|| CD/DVD ROM - Primary Slave
|| HDD (removable rack) - Primary Master
|| HDD (removable rack) - Secondary Master
|| DVD/CD burner - Secondary Slave
|| For my purposes, this is an ideal configuration, however, there is a
|| problem in connecting my two Primary devices with the usual IDE
|| ribbon cable (18"). The middle (Slave) connector on the cable is
|| always keyed so that it's necessary to make a very sharp twist in
|| the cable in order to connect that middle connector to the Primary
|| Slave device that is installed above the Primary Master. Some time
|| ago I came across an IDE ribbon cable whose middle connector was
|| oriented in such a way that I could connect those two devices
|| without sharply twisting the cable. But I've never been able to
|| locate another one with the same orientation.
|| I do not wish to change my hardware configuration as indicated
|| above. Also, I realize I could use a round cable to achieve my
|| objective snip

- and that's the solution ! Use a round cable.
Wouldn't be too surprised if the inside of your case is a bit 'full of
cables' anyway, so round cables will probably tidy things up a bit and give
the airflow a chance.
The alternative is to modify an IDE cable so that either / both the drive
connectors are on the other side of the cable - keeping the pin1 orientation
correct, of course. The flat cable and connectors are cheap and easy to come
by.
Kevin.

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 11:49 PM
Regarding IDE Primary/Slave and orientation of cable.... ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 10 September 9th 04 03:01 AM
Parallel Ribbon Cable Ewan Sinclair General 1 November 13th 03 10:31 PM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM
No partition data when ATA-100 cable used. DS Homebuilt PC's 5 July 8th 03 08:01 AM