SATA bridgeboards for legacy drives

Old April 2nd 04, 08:13 PM
Jason Hunsaker

Default SATA bridgeboards for legacy drives

Okay, I know I'm crazy for wanting this, but...

Wanted:
1. SATA bridgeboard for legacy 3.5" floppy drive, or 3.5" SATA 4x
floppy drive.

2. SATA bridgeboard for legacy 5.25" floppy drive, or 5.25" SATA
floppy drive.

3. USB bridgeboard for legacy 5.25" floppy drive (instead of # 2).

I know, I'm only a market of one. But, hey, they make 3.5" USB 4x
floppy drives. I can dream. Plextor announced a 12x SATA DVD+/-RW
drive. I want everything SATA.

I don't want to transfer everything to a hard drive or CD.
I don't care about speed.
I just want connectivity.
Old April 2nd 04, 08:15 PM
Rod Speed

"Jason Hunsaker" wrote in message om...
Okay, I know I'm crazy for wanting this, but...

Wanted:
1. SATA bridgeboard for legacy 3.5" floppy drive, or 3.5" SATA 4x
floppy drive.

2. SATA bridgeboard for legacy 5.25" floppy drive, or 5.25" SATA
floppy drive.

3. USB bridgeboard for legacy 5.25" floppy drive (instead of # 2).

I know, I'm only a market of one. But, hey, they make 3.5" USB 4x
floppy drives. I can dream. Plextor announced a 12x SATA DVD+/-RW
drive. I want everything SATA.

I don't want to transfer everything to a hard drive or CD.
I don't care about speed.
I just want connectivity.

You've got it with USB.

Old April 2nd 04, 08:57 PM
Walt

Do they even make a 3.5" or 5.25" floppy drive which attaches
using the old pATA interface???? I have never seen one.

Old April 2nd 04, 10:19 PM
J. Clarke

Walt wrote:

Do they even make a 3.5" or 5.25" floppy drive which attaches
using the old pATA interface???? I have never seen one.

Sort of. The LS-120 and LS-240 have PATA interfaces and will read and write
standard 1.4 meg 3-1/2" diskettes.

On the other hand, ATA and ATAPI are not the same--SATA doesn't
automatically support ATAPI--there are some bridge chips that will when
used with a host adapter containing the same manufacturer's chip allow the
connection of removable-media devices but that's not something one can
count on working at this point.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old April 3rd 04, 09:09 PM
Rod Speed

"JT" wrote in message s.com...
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 10:23:37 -0500, Gary Tait
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 14:19:44 GMT, JT wrote:

On 2 Apr 2004 11:13:57 -0800, (Jason Hunsaker) wrote:

Okay, I know I'm crazy for wanting this, but...

Wanted:
1. SATA bridgeboard for legacy 3.5" floppy drive, or 3.5" SATA 4x
floppy drive.

2. SATA bridgeboard for legacy 5.25" floppy drive, or 5.25" SATA
floppy drive.

3. USB bridgeboard for legacy 5.25" floppy drive (instead of # 2).

I know, I'm only a market of one. But, hey, they make 3.5" USB 4x
floppy drives. I can dream. Plextor announced a 12x SATA DVD+/-RW
drive. I want everything SATA.

I don't want to transfer everything to a hard drive or CD.
I don't care about speed.
I just want connectivity.

Floppy drives, especially 5.25, are not going to be engineered for a new
interface standard. There is NO market or demand for it. Not worth it from
a manufacturing stand point. They are disappearing. 5.25 have already
disappeared from all but dying niche markets. No advantage to have a slow
drive like a floppy on a SATA controller.

JT

But anything you can connect a standard 3.5" PC floppy drive, you can
connect a 5.25" drive to, if you want to work at it.

True enough, but doesn't help with the original question. Floppies are
disappearing. No one is building new interfaces for them. No reason to.
When the floppy interface disappears from the motherboard, don't bother
trying to connect a floppy.

Or have the sense to use USB that will support floppy drives for a while yet.