Soltek SL-75FRN2-L BIOS flashing problem

Old October 22nd 03, 02:47 PM
Ante Lazarusic

Default Soltek SL-75FRN2-L BIOS flashing problem

Hello, I've been doing some BIOS upgrade recently, and it seems I screwed
things up. So here's my problem:

Product Information

Model Name: SL-75FRN2-L

System Configuration

Operating System: Windows XP
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700+
Memory: 256 MB DDR 333 MHz Kingmax
VGA Card: Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB DDR
BIOS Version: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
rev D1.6L (it was D1.4L before flashing)
now: 10/07/2003-nVidia-nForce-6A61BSNAC-00
earlier: 06/20/2003-.....

Problem Description

After flashing the BIOS with new revision (D1.6L, it was D1.4L earlier), I
faced a problem which I am going to describe. When pressing the Power
button to start the system, everything goes just fine for a few moments:
BIOS revision is printed on the screen, processor is detected, memory
check also does fine, and so does the drives' initialization. After that,
the system hangs, up. The only thing that is visible on the screen is the
'_' cursor blinking in the upper left corner. I cannot restart the
computer by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del key combination, but only with
hard-reset button, or turn it off with power button.
I would also like to mention that nothing wrong happened during the BIOS
update process, no error messages were listed; and when asked to reboot by
pressing the F1 key, problems begun.
I have tried nVidia Boot-Failure-Reboot procedures (both of them, as
listed in Soltek MB manual and web site), but the problem
wasn't solved. Messages like 'CMOS checksum error' and 'overclocking
failed' also appeared on the screen; even loading optimized defaults in
BIOS changed nothing.
I cannot boot my system either wit HDD, floppy nor CD-ROM, the only thing
I can do is enter the BIOS, but changing settings does nothing. I have
noticed the new option in Advanced Chipset Features: USB20HDD, but it
doesn't help much, though. In hope for the the solution, I send
you my best regards.

--
Ante Lazarusic

Old October 22nd 03, 06:54 PM

Ante Lazarusic wrote:
[...]

Two things I would try: First clear your CMOS settings by shorting the
jumper somewhere on your MB, or remove the battery for 30 minutes.
Second, I would remove the video card and replace it with a different
one, the simpler the better. I assume the nVidia you mention is a video
card?

Ken

Old October 22nd 03, 10:50 PM
Shep©

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:47:25 +0000 (UTC), Knowing that it was a
Hollywood invention that lemmings jump off cliffs Ante Lazarusic
wrote :

[...]

Pull power cord out of the system and find and use the clear CMOS
jumper.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 23rd 03, 02:21 PM
Ante Lazarusic

:Two things I would try: First clear your CMOS settings by shorting the
:jumper somewhere on your MB, or remove the battery for 30 minutes.

Tried already, with no effect

:Second, I would remove the video card and replace it with a different
ne, the simpler the better. I assume the nVidia you mention is a video
:card?

nVidia is the chipset in my case, not the video card. I'll try with the
different one, anyway, thanks.

--
Ante Lazarusic

Old October 23rd 03, 02:22 PM
Ante Lazarusic

:Pull power cord out of the system and find and use the clear CMOS
:jumper.
:HTH

Already done, with no effect

--
Ante Lazarusic

PSU kills bios!? Michael General 15 October 7th 03 02:15 PM
BIOS Problem ? briwy General 4 September 13th 03 06:35 PM
BIOS problem WWII General 1 August 22nd 03 02:13 AM
BIOS Gricalus General 3 July 13th 03 12:07 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM