Need advice on box upgrade

Old June 9th 04, 07:43 PM
Fishface

ur_droll wrote:

Correctomundo.... I don't use credit cards and have heard too many
stories of disappointments & rip offs. I'd prefer to buy from someone
whom I can reach out and touch... (in the event that I need to)

Well, ouch, those prices are seriously high. You can almost buy two
of everything for those prices. The GA-7N400-L doesn't appear to
have SATA support, so you might want to rethink the Seagate.

Old June 9th 04, 08:42 PM
greatwhitebuffalo

OPTIONAL EXTRAS
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card $117.75

Avoid the Audigy 2 like the plague if you go with any Hyper Threaded
or Multi-Processor system, they're unstable... Unless you like the
BSOD! lol
Old June 10th 04, 04:11 AM
cheap bastard

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 00:52:44 +1200, "ur_droll"
wrote:

I guess my question is simply..... are 462 XP's with dual channel cpu's
competitive enough (in your collective opinions) with P4 hyperthreading,
....to minimise the risk of premature redundancy.

Please advise.

Colin

probably not, but if you can't spend a lot of money, that's all you
can get.

I'd go for a mobile 2500 minimum in XP class. If you can't do that,
I'd wait for prices to come down on the new technology stuff. We're
talking another year here.

If you need gaming or media production then you want some kind of
upgrade, but if not, you could hold out. I've recently upgraded to a
amd64 2800 from a P3/733 512M 7200rpm system and the improvement is
not as great as I expected. Sure things like games and intensive
processor applications work better, but the general feel is not that
much different than a good P3. In fact, I get more practical
performance boost by being able to switch back and forth from my amd
to my P3 machine using a KVM switch than from the speed upgrade.

Prices are falling on XP class stuff now. I'd go for mobile 2500 and
an abit NF7-S rev2 or nothing.

Old June 10th 04, 08:25 AM
ur_droll

"Fishface" ? wrote in message
: ur_droll wrote:
:
: Correctomundo.... I don't use credit cards and have heard too many
: stories of disappointments & rip offs. I'd prefer to buy from someone
: whom I can reach out and touch... (in the event that I need to)
:
: Well, ouch, those prices are seriously high. You can almost buy two
: of everything for those prices. The GA-7N400-L doesn't appear to
: have SATA support, so you might want to rethink the Seagate.

Thanks..... it tops out at 133

Old June 10th 04, 08:27 AM
ur_droll

cheap ******* wrote in message
: On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 00:52:44 +1200, "ur_droll"
: wrote:
:
:
[...]

Thanks... I'll check it out

Old June 11th 04, 02:52 AM
Fishface

ur_droll wrote:

Thanks..... it tops out at 133

Not sure what you mean by that, but SATA has a small narrow
plug and PATA has a wide plug and they don't interchange without
an adapter. If your board doesn't have the SATA controller, there
is nowhere to plug-in the drive.

Old June 11th 04, 06:50 AM
ur_droll

"Fishface" ? wrote in message
: ur_droll wrote:
:
: Thanks..... it tops out at 133
:
: Not sure what you mean by that, but SATA has a small narrow
: plug and PATA has a wide plug and they don't interchange without
: an adapter. If your board doesn't have the SATA controller, there
: is nowhere to plug-in the drive.
:

Thanks I missed that... I'll look at boards again.

Any suggestions?