how to give energy to USB devices? with notebook off!!!

Old September 9th 03, 04:24 PM
andrea rossi

Default how to give energy to USB devices? with notebook off!!!

Is there something to use to give energy to USB devices?

For example if I want to use my USB calculator when my notebook is off,
there's a device (for example with battery) to give energy?

Thanks

Old September 9th 03, 05:55 PM
Jim Turner

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:24:05 +0200, "andrea rossi"
wrote:

Is there something to use to give energy to USB devices?

For example if I want to use my USB calculator when my notebook is off,
there's a device (for example with battery) to give energy?

Thanks

Get a self powered USB hub
Old September 9th 03, 09:21 PM
Marc Reinig

Since the hub itself is a USB device, and the hub will not be enumerated by
the powered off laptop, the downstream ports should remain unpowered.

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

s.com...

Old September 9th 03, 10:26 PM
kony

wrote:

Is there something to use to give energy to USB devices?

For example if I want to use my USB calculator when my notebook is off,
there's a device (for example with battery) to give energy?

Thanks

Yes, you could buy something like this
http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/pc/pc_usbpower.htm
or just build your own... not terribly hard since you just need a
small 5V wall-wart and a USB outlet from (anything).

Dave

Old September 9th 03, 11:05 PM
Jim Turner

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 20:21:44 GMT, "Marc Reinig"
wrote:

Since the hub itself is a USB device, and the hub will not be enumerated by
the powered off laptop, the downstream ports should remain unpowered.

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

ws.com...
wrote:

Is there something to use to give energy to USB devices?

For example if I want to use my USB calculator when my notebook is off,
there's a device (for example with battery) to give energy?

Thanks

Get a self powered USB hub

Depends on the hub and the device. Devices, such as keyboards and network
adapters are powered so they can wake up the system even when it is
"off". .

Old September 10th 03, 12:34 AM
Marc Reinig

Can you tell me which USB keyboards or USB network adapters can wake a
Windows PC when the PC is turned off or which Windows PC keeps USB power on
when they are shut off?

We're not talking about standby, we're talking about OFF. Perhaps you are
thinking of the ability to turn on a MAC through the keyboard? I don't
think the above things are possible in Windows.

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

s.com...
wrote:

Since the hub itself is a USB device, and the hub will not be enumerated

by
the powered off laptop, the downstream ports should remain unpowered.

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

ws.com...

Old September 10th 03, 02:11 AM
Jim Turner

Can't give specifics right now. I know that various multimedia keyboards
that are USB and have the power button on them from Microsoft, Logitech,
and some others will wake up motherboards I have tried it on from ASUS,
ECS, and MSI, although don't have specifics handy right now. Just have to
have legacy USB support on in the BIOS, and a real ATX system. Modern ATX
systems don't completely power off unless you pull the plug or throw the
switch on the back of some power supplies. The 5vsb voltage is there to
the PS/2 ports and some USB ports. Have seen some of the optical mice
with the lights on and the system "off".

JT

PS. haven't done anything with Macs for years.

Old September 10th 03, 06:30 AM
Steve Reinis

Got an HP Pavilion 8790 (Athlon 950) based on an Asus K7M Motherboard and it
has a fancy HP USB keyboard. When the system is OFF (Not asleep), I can
power up the system by tapping the spacebar.

Got an older Asus P2L97 motherboard (PII 400) that has a PS/2 keyboard
attached... Can power it up with the spacebar. Same goes with an USB
keyboard... Spacebar powers it up.

Marc Reinig wrote in message
. ..
Can you tell me which USB keyboards or USB network adapters can wake a
Windows PC when the PC is turned off or which Windows PC keeps USB power

on
when they are shut off?

We're not talking about standby, we're talking about OFF. Perhaps you are
thinking of the ability to turn on a MAC through the keyboard? I don't
think the above things are possible in Windows.

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

s.com...
wrote:

Since the hub itself is a USB device, and the hub will not be

enumerated
by
the powered off laptop, the downstream ports should remain unpowered.

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

ws.com...

Old September 10th 03, 06:45 AM
Phrederik

"Marc Reinig" wrote in message
. ..
Can you tell me which USB keyboards or USB network adapters can wake a
Windows PC when the PC is turned off or which Windows PC keeps USB power

on
when they are shut off?

We're not talking about standby, we're talking about OFF. Perhaps you are
thinking of the ability to turn on a MAC through the keyboard? I don't
think the above things are possible in Windows.

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

MANY computers keep the USB ports (and PS/2 ports) powered from the 5v SBY
.... that's why it's there. These devices can turn on a PC that has been shut
down (not put to sleep)

Old September 12th 03, 05:32 PM
Marc Reinig

I think we really have two issues,

1. The OP had a problem with not being able to run a bus powered USB device
when his host was turned off.

I presume that this was because there was no Vusb present on the bus to
power his device. Adding a powered hub will not help here because, with no
Vusb from the host, the hub will not enable (power) any down stream ports.

2. Separate issue: some hosts are reported to support some USB devices, for
wake-up, when they are supposedly powered off.

Vendors do many non standard things in the BIOS. The last I looked, this
would be one, so I have some questions on these features, if anyone want to
take the time ;=):

a. If you execute a Shutdown from the Start Menu (Turn Off on the XP
Start Menu as opposed to StandBy), can you wake your system with your mouse
or keyboard? Is the power light on, off or flashing?

b. When your system powers on, does it go through the full BIOS check,
etc?

c. My MS keyboard has a sleep button on it, which puts the system, almost
instantly, into a sleep mode from which it can be wakened by a press of a
key. But, this is not a powered down mode, the power light is flashing, not
off, RAM is still powered and refreshed, etc. I assume this is not what we
are talking about.

d. Do your USB keyboards and mice still power on the system when
connected through an external hub when your system is in this powered down
(but apparently not out) mode or do they need to be plugged into the root
hub, i.e. does the BIOS support hub devices or just mice, keyboards, etc.
that are directly attached?

e. Do all USB ports receive power when the system is in this state, or
only ones that have a mouse, keyboard or bootable device attached?

Thanks in advance,

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

This is