Nero and bootable cd's?

Old August 3rd 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Paul Heslop

Default Nero and bootable cd's?

***** charles wrote:

so hopefully if you can find either nero startsmart or nero express in
your programs you might be able to find the option. I have my fingers
crossed for you.

I am afriend I have a "Demo" version which does upgrade to the
latest download but doesn't have all the functionality of Premium.
I bought it from what I thought was a reputable software supplier
but in this case it does not do what I need. I found MagicISO
on the Internet and it is free. I am trying to make a bootable cd
with Ghost 2003 on it for a laptop redo. I have the ghost images
to reinstall and I just had to put in a new 80G drive in the laptop.
I don't think Nero in its' present state will work successfully.

thanks again,
charles.....

Yeah, looks like you may have been ripped off. I'm sorry I couldn't be
of more help Charles, good luck... I'm off to bed now as it is after
4.am here! :O)

--
Paul (Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs)
Stop and Look
Old August 3rd 06, 07:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

***** charles wrote:

I just got a burner and installed Nero 7 Essentails.
I need to create a bootable cd but haven't figured
out how to do that. I've been all through the
software and don't see any choices for making a
bootable cd. What am I missing or should I get
a different program for this?

Essential is Nero 7 oem version. It's not a demo version.

Open Nero StartSmart, the one on the Quick Start. Click the left arrow
in the middle of left border. Expand Applications (with double-arrow),
and choose Nero Express and select Data. Doesn't "Bootable Data Disc"
show up?
..

Mike Richter - The Slimiest Friggin SOB (UDF)

UDF is a fragile format
UDF is an unreliable format

the format is very fragile and unreliable

The format is bad - it loses data

The fault is not with the software but with the format

But then again:

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 5/4/06
Subject: UDF Has just bit me in the bum

I have used UDF for many years, but yesterday I had my first
corruption. I am now wondering whether to bother with UDF

First, your problem is not with UDF
======================
..

Mikey, you are The Slimiest Friggin SOB!
Old August 3rd 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
***** charles wrote:

I am using an OEM version. Would this make a difference?
I use the icon that was put into the quick launch bar in the lower left.
Under data cd it has make data cd and copy data cd. Nothing
about making boot cd's anywhere.

I did download the latest upgrade 7.2.3.32b or somthing like that.
Might this add the bootable capabilities or am I stuck paying money
for something that should be there?

thanks,
charles.....

I have a feeling your version is slightly less capable than mine. On
mine there is an icon on the desktop which says nero startsmart. I am
wondering if you look under
start/programs/nero 7 if you can see anything like nero express or
startsmart? If you can try clicking that and see if it gives you more
options.
--
Paul (Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs)

Out of curiosity, I looked at my copy of Nero Express 6, and it does indeed
have the option Create bootable CD.
This is a version that came free with my burner.

Norm Strong

Old August 3rd 06, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Paul Heslop

***** charles wrote:

[...]

So did all my old versions, no matter how small they were. It seems
Charles has been sold a dummy.
Old August 3rd 06, 09:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
***** charles

***** charles wrote:

[...]

Hey Paul,

Thanks for all the help. I called my software supplier and he said
that I would have to either get Pro or Ultra or Premium to get the
making a boot disk option. The cd I bought was $6 and the
cheapest one that did what I wanted was $29. It still was oem
(I am a legal dealer). He wouldn't take it back. I found one of
my older 5.5 oem cd's and it had the ability to make the bootable
cd that I needed. The retail prices on some of the Neros' that we
talked about were up to $100 so even at $29 it would still be a
bargain. The $6 one in my case wasn't worth it but it may be to
someone else who doesn't need the "booter" capablility. It can
still make a lot of other cd/dvd formats.

later,
charles.......

Old August 3rd 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

***** charles wrote:

***** charles wrote:

I just got a burner and installed Nero 7 Essentails.
I need to create a bootable cd but haven't figured
out how to do that. I've been all through the
software and don't see any choices for making a
bootable cd. What am I missing or should I get
a different program for this?

Essential is Nero 7 oem version. It's not a demo version.

Open Nero StartSmart, the one on the Quick Start. Click the left arrow
in the middle of left border. Expand Applications (with double-arrow),
and choose Nero Express and select Data. Doesn't "Bootable Data Disc"
show up?

.
I uninstalled the 7 version and reinstalled the 5.5 version that I had and
it
let me make the cdrom that I needed. I may reistall 7 in the future just
to be able to try your suggestion but during the installation of 7, it did
say "Demo" in the installation window. Now I am not "under the gun"
I may play with 7 a little more in the future but I don't think that
"Bootable Data Disc" shows up anywhere in the software since I remember
going to where you suggest in the above.

(My comments applies to Express 6. Sorry about that.)

Bootable cd is listed as a feature of Express 7:
http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/Nero_E..._Features.html

But I don't see it in my Express 7. And Nero Express 7 User Guide/Help
does not mention bootable cd:
http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/User_Guide_Express_7.html
..

Old August 4th 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Paul Heslop

***** charles wrote:

[...]

I'm just glad you managed to get it sorted Charles. Sometimes i feel
like sticking to the old stuff rather than trying to update!
Old August 4th 06, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

***** charles wrote:

I called my software supplier and he said
that I would have to either get Pro or Ultra or Premium to get the
making a boot disk option. The cd I bought was $6 and the
cheapest one that did what I wanted was $29. It still was oem

Search for "Nero 6 oem Suite 3".
..
Mike Richter - The Slimiest Friggin SOB (UDF)

The slimiest friggin SOB Mike Richter has been for years
blaming the UDF to weasel out the bugs of DirectCD:

Old August 5th 06, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Peter van der Goes

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message

So did all my old versions, no matter how small they were. It seems
Charles has been sold a dummy.
--
Paul (Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Not a dummy, but a reduced feature set for an edition designed (primarily)
for inclusion with a drive.
I'll bet the marketing and beancounter types at Nero decided that far too
many Nero users were completely satisfied with their OEM Express and never
upgraded. Solution? Remove more features to generate more $U$upgrades.