Thoughts on Creation of 'Modem' based Yahoo eGroup? (Final Post.)

Old July 16th 04, 06:24 AM
Paul

Default Thoughts on Creation of 'Modem' based Yahoo eGroup? (Final Post.)

kind of like a retro 90's sort of thing?

Pete wrote in message ...
Hi,

This is a final request for your thoughts on the creation of a Yahoo
eGroup on the subject of "Modems."

The basic concept is to create another forum for discussion,
information and help with any aspect of using modems from
getting them to work to using messaging software. It does not
propose to offer drivers or software for download.

The creation of a Modem based Yahoo eGroup is meant as an alternative
forum with added extras that UseNet can not offer such as a permanent
base for links, polls, databases etc..

The most pressing issues a

+ Whether such an eGroup would be of use or interest?
+ A Name for the eGroup reflecting the theme of the group?

Please respond in this thread as this is not a formal USENET group
creation discussion but a quick way for me to judge interest in a
non-usernet eGroup.

This will be the one and only request for thoughts and ideas on this
issue. When enough (or lack of) comments have been added to this
thread the Yahoo group will be created with them in mind.

The idea has been more outlined in a post called '"Modem Madness"
Collaboration?' in the microsoft.public.win32.programmer.tapi
newsgroup.

It is also hoped it can offer a forum for the collaboration or sharing
of information in some of the more interesting uses of modems such as
using Caller Display or home and information automation for example.

Having now read all I need to about setting up and moderating a group
or list I would really appreciate comments or suggestions. If you wish
to help guide the creation of the group you could just simply reply to
this post but DELETE the options you dislike or add another. (Please
SNIP the post to make it easier to see your thoughts..)

If you think there is no need for such an eGroup please share your
thoughts.

Yahoo was chosen for simplicity and ease of setup and use. It also has
the following folders in each eGroup that make it ideal for sharing:

* Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls, Calendar

CHOICES:
------------------

The proposal now stands at creating an eGroup on yahoo as either:

* Unmoderated - Anyone can post.
* Semi-moderated - New member and first time post approval required.

The eGroup will fit into one of the following hierarchies at Yahoo:

* Computers & Internet\Hardware\Components\X
* Computers & Internet\Hardware\Peripherals\X
* Computers & Internet\Hardware\Peripherals\Modems\X
* Computers & Internet\Communications and Networking\Hardware\X

Named something along the lines of:

* Modems
* Modem Info
* Modem Help
* All About Modems
* All Things Modem
* Modem Madness
* Modem Mayhem
* Modems and Caller Display
* Making The Most Of Modems
* Mastering Modems
Or...
* Suggestions Please *

The purpose of the eGroup will be initially several fold:

* Anything general or specific related to sharing knowledge or
information about modems and resources related to using modems.
(Resources meaning web links, INF files and information but not actual
drivers or binaries..)

* Potential collaboration on a website or web ring or sharing of your
resource links.

* Sharing of ideas and information about software relating to modems.
(Software being anything from Faxing programs to Video Phone Messaging
to programming for modems..)

Moderation:

* Owner: Myself as Creator\Owner. I can commit as long as required
but will review openly every 12 months or so based on the members
interests and needs as well as my own.

* Moderators: Myself to start with but also anyone interested in
committing for "at least" 3 months to popping in every week or so to
help delete and block spam, make sure the eGroup is functional, well
kept and adding to the general liveliness of the group.

---------- That's it. Any ideas welcomed --------------

Again please respond in the thread as this is not a formal USENET
group creation discussion but a quick way for me to judge interest.

This message has been posted to the following groups as they seem some
of the most widely used regarding "modems."

+ comp.dcom.modems
+ alt.comp.hardware
+ microsoft.public.win32.programmer.tapi
+ comp.modems (though this group is hardly used.)

Regards

Pete
Spamblocking

Old July 16th 04, 03:48 PM
Jon Danniken

"Pete" wrote:
Hi,

This is a final request for your thoughts on the creation of a Yahoo
eGroup on the subject of "Modems."

My perspective is that I prefer usenet for discussions because it is accessible, doesn't require a special
membership, is not littered with distracting advertisements, is archived throgh google and other services,
and is not at the whim of whomever owns the website. I know that some people prefer an html-based
interface, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Good luck in your endeavor, though..

Jon

Old July 16th 04, 06:20 PM
Scott

Yeah that would be cool, and I already have a yahoo address so, and there's
not really many good ones on there from the list I see. I'd join.

Old July 17th 04, 06:07 AM
Ray Cassick \(Home\)

What kills me is that I am amazed that someone has not come up with
something that can be attached to the phone line that is NOT A MODEM with
the express intent of just delivering the caller id data to a small windows
app (maybe via USB).

The circuitry is not hard...

"Pete" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:24:24 +1000, "Paul" wrote:

My interest in this stems from the frustration in trying to get caller
display working via my modem to create a seemingly intelligent
answering machine as part of a home automation project.

Old July 17th 04, 04:42 PM
-mhd

"Ray Cassick \(Home\)" wrote:

What kills me is that I am amazed that someone has not come up with
something that can be attached to the phone line that is NOT A MODEM with
the express intent of just delivering the caller id data to a small windows
app (maybe via USB).

The circuitry is not hard...

http://www.callerid.com/
http://www.rochellecti.com/products.php
http://www.yes-tele.com/
http://www.telcontrol.com/content.asp?Title='Caller ID Interface
Units'

-mhd

Old July 17th 04, 07:03 PM
Andreas Marschall [MVP TAPI]

"Pete" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
This is a final request for your thoughts on the creation of a Yahoo
eGroup on the subject of "Modems."

Pete,
as far as I understood the intend of this new Yahoo eGroup it is not only TAPI
related but a pool for all kinf of modem questions (and answers).
Hopefully there is not to much mix up of topics.
For TAPI related (modem) questions I regard win32.programmer.tapi,comp.modems
a the primary group.
I thinks it's a good idea to place links to each other groups.
I will add a link to the new Yahoo eGroup to my TAPI and TSPI FAQ:
Q: What newsgroups are covering TAPI ?
http://www.i-b-a-m.de/Andreas_Marschall's_TAPI_and_TSPI_FAQ.htm#_Q:_What _newsgroups

Please note that there is a another dedicated modem group that you may want to
link to and notify about the new Yahoo eGroup :
microsoft.public.win98.comm.modem

--
Best Regards
Andreas Marschall

Old July 17th 04, 10:51 PM
Andreas Marschall [MVP TAPI]

"Pete" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
(Sorry If This Appears Twice - Seems Last Post Got Lost)

Pete,
FYI, I received both via NNTP:

Via MSDN web based newsgroup client the first one is also visible:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups...&lang=en&cr=US

Old July 18th 04, 01:47 AM
-mhd

Pete wrote:

This is a final request for your thoughts on the creation of a Yahoo
eGroup on the subject of "Modems."

as far as I understood the intend of this new Yahoo eGroup it is not only TAPI
related but a pool for all kinf of modem questions (and answers).

How about at least focussing on telephony issues and not
data/fax/dialup issues?

-mhd
Old July 18th 04, 08:05 PM
-mhd

Pete wrote:

I'd really appreciate it if you could just delete the names you do not
like or add new ones that I haven't thought of.

Modem Telephony

-mhd
Old July 18th 04, 08:19 PM
Andreas Marschall [MVP TAPI]

"-mhd" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Pete wrote:
I'd really appreciate it if you could just delete the names you do not
like or add new ones that I haven't thought of.

Modem Telephony

I prefer this one too.

--
Best Regards
Andreas Marschall
Microsoft MVP for TAPI / Windows SDK
TAPI / TSP Developer and Tester
http://www.I-B-A-M.de/Andreas_Marschall's_TAPI_and_TSPI_FAQ.htm
* Please post all messages and replies to the newsgroup so all may
* benefit from the discussion. Private mail is usually not replied to.
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Modem connection speed Neil Barnwell General 58 July 14th 04 07:18 PM
modem problem minerva nine General 9 May 27th 04 08:11 AM
Modem - dial tone broken up, but voice ok Zardoz General 1 January 5th 04 02:06 AM
Split Cable Modem Line For TV Tuner? *Vanguard* General 3 November 23rd 03 11:14 PM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM