GA-MA78GM-S2H Equivalent with ECC

Old November 21st 08, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Geoff

Default GA-MA78GM-S2H Equivalent with ECC

Hello,

I like this board but is there an equivalent one that has ECC also?

Thanks.

--g

Old November 22nd 08, 12:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

geoff wrote:
Hello,

I like this board but is there an equivalent one that has ECC also?

Thanks.

--g

PDF page 77 here, of the Asus M3A78-EM manual.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...-em_manual.zip

ECC Configuration

ECC Mode
DRAM ECC Enable
DRAM SCRUB REDIRECT
4-Bit ECC Mode
DRAM BG Scrub
Data Cache BG Scrub
L2 Cache BG Scrub
L3 cache BG Scrub

Those are examples on that Asus motherboard.

On a Gigabyte board, I believe you press control F1 while
in the BIOS screen, to get to advanced memory settings. Maybe
the setting is in there ?

I've also seen mention that ECC can be enabled while you're in
Windows. The A64Tweaker program had an ECC setting (but that
program is from the S939 era). And I also found a thread where
someone claimed it could be enabled through "PCI Configuration
registers". And that means a program like Wpcredit/Wpcrset
(from H-ODA) or equivalent (baredit).

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...WPCREDIT.shtml

I don't really believe that is a viable option, because you'd have
to be able to extract the necessary information from an AMD
document like this. Doesn't look like a lot of fun...

"BIOS and Kernel Developer’s Guide (BKDG) For AMD Family 10h Processors"
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/31116.PDF

HTH,
Paul
Old November 22nd 08, 12:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Paul wrote:
geoff wrote:
Hello,

I like this board but is there an equivalent one that has ECC also?

Thanks.

--g

Oh, I forgot to mention another tiny detail. AMD has ECC interfaces
on a lot of their processors with the integrated memory controller.
But at the motherboard level, the motherboard designer has to connect
the ECC pins on the processor, to the ECC pins on the memory socket.
If someone forgets to do that, then ECC won't work.

So ECC is not a function of the chipset, and its absence in the BIOS
cannot be blamed on the chipset choice. I don't know why it is so
difficult to include the necessary controls in the BIOS. It should be
easy (like a module they bind into the code build - not a custom
piece of code). The code should already have been written for them.

Paul
Old November 23rd 08, 07:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Geoff

Hello,

I did find where ctrl-f1 has advanced settings but did not see anything for
memory. I also checked the crucial website and they said the board is
non-ecc.

--g