Help me pick out a good mobo to use with XP 2800+

Old February 5th 04, 10:59 PM
Ben in TN

Default Help me pick out a good mobo to use with XP 2800+

Ok, I'm about to build a new pooter and I haven't been keeping up with the
latest and greatest. My current computer is a XP 1800+ on an Abit KR7A mobo
with a gig of ram. Anyway, it looks like the XP 2800+ 333 Mhz. is the best
chip for the money on Pricewatch.com. @ $115 so I was wondering if any of
you could point me towards a good motherboard that would compliment that CPU
as good as possible for a decent price. I have already bought a Seagate 160
gig SATA 150 hard drive and some Kingston Value RAM PC3200. The RAM came
with 2 256 meg sticks per package and I bought 2 packages of the stuff to
get a gig. So I'm looking for a motherboard that will work well with that
type of RAM and with a XP 2800+ 333 Mhz. Oh yeah, I don't want on board
sound or video since I am a gamer and already have a good video and sound
card. Unless the on board video card was quite a bit better than my current
GeForce 4 4200 Ti with 128 Megs of RAM. I will also say that ever since
building my last computer I was very impressed with that Abit motherboard so
it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to buy another Abit mobo although I am
still pretty open minded about any brands of motherboards. I've pasted the
specs of that RAM below in case that made any difference about which
motherboards would work well with that type of RAM. I'd also like to hear
about any review websites that have tested motherboards that would work well
with the other parts I want to use. Thanks much in advance.

Ben

Kingston Value RAM's KVR400AK2/512R is a kit of two 32M x 64-bit (256MB)
DDR400 CL3 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) memory modules. Total kit capacity is
512MB. Thecomponents on each module include eight 32M x 8-bit (8M x 8-bit x
4 Bank) DDR400 SDRAM in TSOP packages.

Clock Cycle Time (tCK) 5ns (min.) / 10ns (max.)

Row Cycle Time (tRC) 55ns (min.)

Refresh Row Cycle Time (tRFC) 70ns (min.)

Row Active Time (tRAS) 40ns (min.) / 70,000ns (max.)

Single Power Supply of +2.6V (+/- .1V)

Power (IDD0) 2.184 W (operating)

UL Rating 94 V - 0

Old February 5th 04, 11:53 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:59:12 -0600, Ben in TN wrote:

as good as possible for a decent price. I have already bought a Seagate 160
gig SATA 150 hard drive and some Kingston Value RAM PC3200. The RAM came
with 2 256 meg sticks per package and I bought 2 packages of the stuff to
get a gig. So I'm looking for a motherboard that will work well with that
type of RAM and with a XP 2800+ 333 Mhz.

Well, if you find one, let me know.:-)
Now if you want to use 2-3 sticks of ram, no problem. You're probably sol
with 4 though.
Abit NF7 if you're partial to abit.

Old February 6th 04, 05:11 AM
Amir Facade

Get an ABIT NF7-S, Take back one of your pakages of RAM and get a single
stick of 512. That way you can have your Gig of RAM and Dual chanel too.
Board has onboard sound, but you don't have to use it (even though its
pretty good.) You can use your SATA drive.

Old February 7th 04, 11:25 AM
GWHSU

I used to be a huge abit fan until my BF6 died of unknown causes.
Its fan headers may have been a little weak, too. On the plus side,
I replaced it with an old old used BH6 grabbed off of a pile.
I am butting in here because I have a 2800+ and Asus A7N8x-E (deluxe)
arriving next monday. It will have onboard audio but I will probably just
use my SBLive. I'll only have one 256k stick of pc3200 to start with.
Can anyone responding here comment on this choice compared to others?
I ordered a 2500+ for its Barton core and for overclocking but they were
back-ordered so I got the 2800+. Since ordering the Asus I read a review
at hardocp.com where they say this board won't O/C so well.
GWHSU