AI7, PWM and other dumbass questions

Old April 17th 04, 09:16 AM
Jootec from Mars

Default AI7, PWM and other dumbass questions

Hi,

Call me stupid but what the heck is the PWM? It's running at 71 degrees C
which is hot!

And I'm also assuming this. Whilst the fans on the PSU suck hot air out of
the case. Any other case fans suck room temperature air in?

Thanks in advance for answering my dumb questions. I've never had to bother
about cooling before to this extent 'cos my previously standard clocked
CPU's never ran this hot.

James

Old April 17th 04, 06:41 PM
David Maynard

Jootec from Mars wrote:
Hi,

Call me stupid but what the heck is the PWM?

Pulse Width Modulator: The switching regulator mechanism on the motherboard
for generating Vcore. The PSU uses one too but that wouldn't be the one
being monitored by the motherboard.

It's running at 71 degrees C
which is hot!

Yes, that's hot. Hard to say much else since you didn't mention the
motherboard, what processor, what Vcore is, whether it's overclocked, case
temp, room ambient, etc.

And I'm also assuming this. Whilst the fans on the PSU suck hot air out of
the case. Any other case fans suck room temperature air in?

No, front case fans should blow in with the rear case fans blowing out.
Airflow should be 'through the case' from front-bottom to rear-top (which
means that 'blow holes' in the top would be outward blow too).

Having an inward fan on the rear means you're shoving into the case hot air
the PSU just blew out the back, which is doubly bad because the PSU and
internal components in the recirculation route are heating it up on each
pass. It also 'short circuits' case airflow by providing a shunt path from
the rear to the PSU rather than across the case (from the front).