Repartioning 9100

Old July 21st 05, 08:33 PM
Shel

Default Repartioning 9100

Is it true that repartioning the hard drive (to add partions) on a new
9100 will wipe out Dell's hidden partitions?
Old July 21st 05, 08:45 PM
Ted Zieglar

Not if you do it right. With the right software (e.g. Norton Partition
Magic) and a solid understanding of how to use it, you'll carve space out of
the C drive and make new partitions. That 'solid understanding' is not be
underestimated. And before you start changing the partitions you'll want to
make a backup disk image.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but repartitioning is, after all, an
advanced procedure. You can do it; just take your time and be sure before
you start.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

Old July 21st 05, 10:31 PM
Nick

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:33:56 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Shel
wrote:

Is it true that repartioning the hard drive (to add partions) on a new
9100 will wipe out Dell's hidden partitions?

I repartitioned the hard drives in my XPS 5 with Partition Magic a couple of
weeks ago: Partition Magic saw the hidden partition and I had no problem
leaving it untouched.

As long as understand what you're doing and are reasonably careful when you
repartition, shouldn't be a problem.

--
Nick

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.
Old July 21st 05, 10:57 PM
Shel

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:45:55 -0400, "Ted Zieglar"
wrote:

Not if you do it right. With the right software (e.g. Norton Partition
Magic) and a solid understanding of how to use it, you'll carve space out of
the C drive and make new partitions. That 'solid understanding' is not be
underestimated. And before you start changing the partitions you'll want to
make a backup disk image.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but repartitioning is, after all, an
advanced procedure. You can do it; just take your time and be sure before
you start.

Thanks guys. I have used Powerquest Partition Magic on my older
computer, so I guess I'll be OK.