Gateway's Warranty Program Sucks!

Old July 7th 05, 12:32 AM
mwm

Default Gateway's Warranty Program Sucks!

About a year ago I signed up for the Gateway one-year Total Protection
Warranty program. Having no claims but still desiring to continue I
attempted to extend the warranty for another year. No go, says Gateway. "It
is not our policy to renew". I am really ticked off at them since at the
time I signed up there was no mention of this policy. Anyone else have a
similar experience?

Old July 7th 05, 01:33 AM
Joan F \(MI\)

That must be new policy, in the past they would call you trying to get you
to buy an extension.

In news mwm stated

Old July 7th 05, 01:35 AM
Jupiter Jones

Perhaps the policy changed.
It used to be that you could at least extend the original warranty up to a
total of 3 years IIRC.
I also know that it was possible to renew the warranty after expiration.

Call again and get a second opinion, perhaps the person you talked with was
misinformed.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

news

Old July 8th 05, 12:32 PM
Smith

I tried to renew my warranty last year, they wouldn't let me. Logged onto
the website, it said "Warranty Expires in a few days, Extend me!!!" or
something like that...so I figured, sure why not. Called em up, sorry you
can't extend it, it's not an option. Told them I was staring at the
website, was logged into my account and it said I could, it was begging me
to extand it! They said nope, sorry, we'll fix it, you can't extend it, not
an option, goodbye. I wasn't really bothered by the fact that it wasn't
extendable, I would have been like whatever and gone on with my life had the
site said that. What ****ed me off was the fact that they said I could, got
me to call them to do it, then they said I couldn't...grrrr.

news

Old July 9th 05, 02:53 AM
Ed

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 07:32:34 -0400, "Smith"
wrote:

What ****ed me off was the fact that they said I could, got
me to call them to do it, then they said I couldn't...grrrr.

Classic Gateway. Just imagine how sad it would be if they actually
built computers. There have been some messages in the past on here
about people that paid for the extended warranty at the same time they
purchased their Taiwanese box with the GW emblem on it and they still
wouldn't honor it. Honor is the optimum word here of which this
trashy reseller of junk thrown together in Taiwan does not have any
of. That's why they are finally going under and even the Taiwanese
box with the name EMachine on it can't save them. If you have no
honor, ****ting gold turds will not save you in the long run.

Ed
Old July 9th 05, 04:02 AM
Joan F \(MI\)

That's strange, they honored mine, they just sent me a replacement keyboard
for my laptop.

In ,
Ed stated

Old July 9th 05, 04:53 AM
Ed

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 03:02:17 GMT, "Joan F \(MI\)"
wrote:

That's strange, they honored mine,

That's strange, I said "some messages on here" which to people that do
not selectively read into what was actually said, means that it didn't
happen to everyone. Big DUH there.....

I love selective readers, they are so easy, especially when the
original message is still available to read what was actually said.
And another big DUH....

Ed
Old July 9th 05, 02:31 PM
Ben Myers

eMachines used to have its machines built in South Korea. Maybe they are still
built there. Not matter what the brand name, a great many computers are
assembled in mainland China, even when the contract electronics manufacturer
(CEM) is headquartered on Taiwan. Despite the posturing and saber-rattling by
the Chinese and Tiawanese governments, there is considerable economic detente
between the two.

Gateway is not alone in its reliance on CEMs somewhere in Asia. Same for HPaq.
Now that IBM has sold off its entire personal computer biz to Lenovo, this just
makes more obvious the true relationship between IBM and China. Many Dell boxes
and notebooks are assembled in China, too, despite the presence of Dell assembly
facilities in NC and Mexico.

Computer manufacturing, more appropriately called computer assembly, follows the
source of the cheapest labor. Once upon a time, both Dell and Compaq had huge
assembly operations in Mexico. Not so much any more... Ben Myers

Old July 9th 05, 05:17 PM
Ed

Ben, it is true and you are right that not all assembly is in Taiwan.
I just use Taiwan as a metaphor for the whole east as far as the area
of the globe where these "So Called" American companies get their
boxes with their names stamped on them. And yes it isn't only GW,
just that we are in a GW forum.

I think it has been discussed on here before where GW got called on
the carpet by the feds for misleading advertisement back when they
were showing a studio setup which would lead the viewer to believe
that there was an American Factory where American workers were
building (assembling) computers with the GW name on them when in fact,
GW had not even touched a computer since the late 90's when they sold
out the American workers and jumped in bed with the Asians for the
boxes and India for the support. The only thing American about GW now
is their marketing & Sales departments. Broadband.com even had a
story that said they even do their banking off shore. Mostly the same
with HP, Compaq, IBM, etc.

Now, I understand globalization and its fine with me if they are going
to bail out on their country of origin but don't be dishonorable and
deceitful by pretending to be an American Company selling an American
product, built and assembled by Americans in American plants. Like I
said, the feds already called them (GW) on the carpet for this
practice once before.

This is no better than what they caught Wal-Mart doing last year where
they were buying clothing out of Asia and having some NY sweat shops
sew a "Made in the USA" label in them (which was made [the label] in
Mexico).

FOX news had this thing the other night where they showed a class in
India where they were "Trying" to teach people in support jobs for
companies pretending to be American Companies how to speak English
with certain north American dialects, i.e. southern, northern,
midwestern and western dialects so the caller would be deceived into
thinking that they were talking to someone from their own country
about a product they were deceived into thinking was made in their own
country. The story went on to show a class where they were not only
teaching them a dialect but also enough information about Redmond WA
where an inquisitive caller would think they actually were in Redmond.
Hummmm... wonder what company that class of students were being
trained for????

Speaking of Redmond, a big company there is buying Claria Ad/Spyware.
Problem is, this company also has an anti Ad/Spyware application
available. They have set the default config in the anti Ad/Spyware
app to "ignore" any instances of Claria Ad/Spyware found on one's
system. Talk about integrity and honor......

Corporate Honor & Integrity is dead, or is in America anyway. There
is no way that anyone can justify these company practices to me.
There is no amount of spinning, misquoting or bending the truth that
can make it "OK" with me. It is with that, that I support what some
others on here have stated.... if you are going to buy a desktop,
find a reputable local builder and go that route. You might pay
little more but just how much is local support from a local company in
your own community worth?

Best Regards, Ben
Ed