Overheating Issue

Old December 26th 08, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Dave[_36_]

Default Overheating Issue

I upgraded my computer recently to a new motherboard/cpu/etc.. and I'm
having a lot of overheating issues with it when I do intense 3D renders.

At present I have the following:

GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W
Dual-Core Processor

At first I was using the stock fan that came in the retail box for the
processor, but after reading numerous reviews on NewEgg, I upgraded to a

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

However, it's only marginally better. Not the great performance others
have claimed.

I am not overclockinig and I did use Arctic Silver compound when I
installed the heat sink.

I am planning on upgraded to a QuadCore CPU in the next month, but I'm
concerned I may have issue with that as well.

Any tips? Any sites I should visit?

Thanks!
Old December 26th 08, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ken[_7_]

http://tekniken.se/docs/image/example/pcvent.png

Old December 27th 08, 05:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Onsokumaru

"Dave" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
[...]

Thanks, I have the opposite flow. The processor fan is side mounted and
blows toward the front of the system, so I have my fans blowing in from
the back and out through the front.

I love the way people use wonderfully simplistic diagrams to illustrate
airflow through a case, without even taking the CPU fan into consideration.

You say it is an overheating problem. What are the symptoms. What is the
ambient temp of the room, and how hot does the CPU get.

Old December 27th 08, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Geoff

I've also tried purchased fans with artic silver and did not see a big
difference. However, when I bought an Antec case, my MB temp dropped from
32c to 25c and the CPU temp for my AMD dropped from 36c to about 32c.

Also, where is the computer? If it is kept in an enclosure of some kind,
that could restrict airflow.

The last thing is I assume all your fans are blowing in the right direction.
If some fans go out the back and one or some blow out the front, that could
cause airflow problems as well.

--g

Old December 28th 08, 05:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kris[_2_]

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 22:37:55 GMT, geoff wrote:

I've also tried purchased fans with artic silver and did not see a big
difference. However, when I bought an Antec case, my MB temp dropped from
32c to 25c and the CPU temp for my AMD dropped from 36c to about 32c.

Also, where is the computer? If it is kept in an enclosure of some kind,
that could restrict airflow.

The last thing is I assume all your fans are blowing in the right direction.
If some fans go out the back and one or some blow out the front, that could
cause airflow problems as well.

--g

1. if your X2 overheats, solve that BEFORE you go to a quad core.
2. Yeah, look at the Antec 300 case - 2 120mm fans intake in front with a
FILTER in front of it which you can easily vacuum occasionally, Also has a
large top exhaust fan which is right above the CPU. Also has a hole for a
side fan - I mount a fan and filter there for intake. The 3 fans that it
comes with have a 3 position speed control - I set mine to Med or Low, I
forget which. The other Antec cases don't have a filter, I don't think.
3. I use AS5. I have tried different HSFs - even the Big Typhoon (Tt)
didn't do all that well for me. I remember trying a Tuniq Tower once on a
previous board - huge but ineffective for me. I have a Xigmatek - I think
it's a 1283 - it's pointed to blow air toward the back and out the rear
case hole which has no fan.

I suspect that your main prob is that you are simply not putting enough air
into your case, and directly into the area of the CPU. A fan in the case
side door, directly over the CPU fan intake, can be a great help.

I think my ambient is about 26C / 80F. I have a temp probe (PC Nurse or
whatever) that usually shows around 40C - when it gets up to 42C I vacuum
the filters.(I seem to recall sticking that into one of the northbridge HS
louvers.) CoreTemp shows my 2 cores at 44 44 no load, overclocked as
shown in sig. My vid cards is at 47C no load - bounces to 52 watching TV -
I have made no attempt to cool that.

Case cooling is largely an experiment - keep trying until you find what
works for you.