G-6 350 mhz upgrade

Old August 5th 05, 06:16 PM
Tweek

Ben, could his problem be that the motherboard in that G6-350 does not
support 256MB modules even if they are low density? I believe those boards
have three slots and the max is 128MB in each slot. I missed the beginning
of this thread so I don't know if he had been using these modules before
with no problems or not.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
There's a reasonable possibility that the motherboard has developed
issues. The
MEMTEST lockup and the other BSODs and/or freezes running Windows would
seem to
form a pattern indicating hardware problems... Ben

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:27:34 GMT, "Vze" wrote:

Ben,
I took the crucial card out and tested it again.
All was fine until test # 8 at 2% it freezes the system with the original
memory only.

Any other suggestions? And the crucial memory is pc-100 256 mb synch, cl2

Thanks
Ray

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
My experiences with MEMTEST-86 have been very positive. If it reveals
an

error
in testing (or the system hangs), there is something wrong with the

hardware,
most often memory.

A G6 350 has a 100MHz front side bus, so it was designed to use PC100

memory
with low density memory chips. Some PC133 memory will work reliably,
and

some
will not. Low density memory means that there are more chips on the
DIMM,
typically 8 for a 64MB DIMM and 16 for a 128MB DIMM.

At this point, I would suspect that the Crucial memory is not right for

the
system, despite Crucial's excellent reputation. Just to check,
reinstall

the
old memory with less capacity in the system and run MEMTEST-86 again.
If
MEMTEST-86 runs without showing any errors, then this pretty much
confirms

that
the Crucial memory is not right... Ben Myers

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 23:17:59 GMT, "Vze" wrote:

Ben, Since installing the controller card I have not had any blue

screen
errors but what is happening is it gets almost to the desktop and shuts
itself off. Every once in a while on bootup after it shuts itself off I

get
windows protection error.

Tech support from powerleap tell me this is a ram problem. The memory I
bought from crucial. I let there scanner scan my system and bought what

it
recommended.

Also I re-ran MEMTEST 86 and got errors in test 5 and when it gets to

test 8
it freezes the system. I ran it in my e machine T2865 also and got 103
errors in test 6 and when it got to test 8 it froze on that machine
also?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ray

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
How is the hard drive connected to the system? An older G-6 350MHz
Pentium II
system BIOS does not support a 250GB hard drive. To use the 250GB

drive
reliably, you need either an add-in hard drive controller card (e.g.
Promise
brand) or 3rd party drive overlay software such as Western Digital's
EZ-Drive.
In short, 3rd party drive overlay software sucks and you are 1000%

better
off
with a drive controller card.

Yes, the 250GB drive is brand new, but what assurance do you have
that

it
is
100% functional? Run the WD hard drive diagnostics to make sure.

Next, download and run MEMTEST-86, the best (and free) memory

diagnostic
software. You have no assurance that the memory upgrade is OK unless

you
run
memory diagnostics. If MEMTEST-86 reveals even one error during

testing,
the
memory upgrade is not right for the motherboard, which needs DIMMs
with
low-density memory chips... Ben Myers

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:10:34 GMT, "WackoRay"

wrote:

Since upgrading. Things have gone down hill fast.
It runs fine for a day or two. Then I get file corruption.
The names change to hieroglyphics. I took a snap shot of the
Lavasoft folder but can't post it here for some reason.
Could someone email me so I could send the jpeg image of the folder
so you could look at it and see if you have seen this or know what
the
hell is happening. But this happens to all my folders eventually. I

just
got lucky and did
a scandisk and it said the files were corrupted beyond repair in
Lavasoft.
I have all up to date anti virus, The Cleaner, Zone Alarm Pro,
spybot,
Ad-Aware & spyblaster. Everything comes back clean.
Thanks, my email addy is
Ray

"Wacko" wrote in message
I kept debating and finally I settled on trying the 1.2 GHz
Tualatin
Celeron.
Piece of cake to install.
I added the max memory, up to 384 & replaced that bucket of bolts
Maxtor
10 gig hd with a western digital 250 gig hd.
I like it! Big improvement over what it was like. the difference
is
like
night & day.
Well worth the upgrade as far as I am concerned.

"gdp" wrote in message
WackoRay wrote:
GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0
4M4PBOX1.15A.023.P13

We upgraded 3 of these at work to 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celerons.
Made

big
difference in the apps we run. It was worth it to us, but only

you
can
be the judge as to whether it is worth it to you.

Old August 5th 05, 06:26 PM
Ben Myers

Yes, some of the early 440BX boards do not handle 256MB DIMMs. Later ones do,
sometimes with a BIOS upgrade. This is true for Gateway motherboards and others
as well.

Knowing the exact model of motherboard used by the OP would be helpful. It's
likely to be an early SE440BX, given that the original CPU speed was only
350MHz... Ben Myers

Old August 8th 05, 01:25 PM
WackoRay

I took the 128 mb modules out of my other G6 and put them in the one with
the upgrades and the same thing happened. It locks up at test #8 ?

Thanks
Ray

Old August 10th 05, 06:29 AM
WackoRay

Ben these are from belarc advisor and the bottom from Ispecs

Board: Intel Corporation MP440BX AA698435-301
Serial Number: IMMP82801837
BIOS: Intel Corp. 4M4PB0X1.15A.0029.P17 08/04/199
Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
Model : MP440BX Rev. AA698435-301
CPU Slot/Socket Type : Socket 370 FC-PGA2
Chipset Vendor : Intel i440BX/ZX Rev. B1
Bios Manufacturer : Intel Corp.
Bios Version : 4M4PB0X1.15A.0029.P17

Old August 10th 05, 05:50 PM
Ben Myers

The MP440BX is an OEM variation of the very popular SE440BX Intel board. Ispecs
is inaccurate. This is a Slot 1 board, not Socket 370. However, Ispecs is
being fooled by the PowerLeap kit CPU, which identifies itself as it truly is:
Socket 370 FC-PGA2.

IMHO, the same limitations hold for the MP440BX as for the SE440BX board. In
other words, installed memory must consist of DIMMs with low-density chips.

All I can surmise is that either the PowerLeap kit is not compatible with the
MP440BX board, or that a defect has crept into the hardware somewhere. The
system lockups running both Windows and MEMTEST-86 are not a coincidence, and
are symptomatic of a hardware problem.

What happens when you put the older slower Slot 1 CPU in the system? Lockups?
Does MEMTEST run OK? ... Ben Myers

************************************************* ***
Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
Model : MP440BX Rev. AA698435-301
CPU Slot/Socket Type : Socket 370 FC-PGA2
Chipset Vendor : Intel i440BX/ZX Rev. B1
Bios Manufacturer : Intel Corp.
Bios Version : 4M4PB0X1.15A.0029.P17

BIG SNIP
Old August 12th 05, 03:38 PM
Kevin Childers

Just to pass on a confirmation of Ben's comments. Checked with the best
tech I know and he concurs the MP440BX is limited to low density (high chip
count) DIMMs.

KC