How to fix broken AutoPlay for DVDs??

Old July 22nd 05, 04:22 PM
Ned Hamilton

Default How to fix broken AutoPlay for DVDs??

Anyone know how to fix AutoPlay for DVD movies?

My new XPS5 came configured to autoplay DVDs with PowerDVD which is a piece
of ****.
So I went to AutoPlay settings for the two DVD players and set it to always
play with WM Player.
But when I insert DVD it brings up my Docs & Settings folder!

Tried setting AutoPlay back to PowerDVD--nada.
Tried running autoplay for the drive then clicked on "Always do the selected
action" and it plays but the "Always play..." doesn't persist.

Any thoughts?

I've looked thru registry and can't find anything that looks like what it's
doing wrong.

It does play CDs correctly using WMP as I have set it.

Old July 22nd 05, 07:02 PM
Clark

Well, try this:

Go to Folder Options in the control panel. Select File types DVD Video and
Advanced button.

You should have a window that says "Play" on the first line and "Play with
PowerDVD" on the second line. The "confirm open after download" box
checked.

Clark

om...

Old July 22nd 05, 11:20 PM
Clark

I also noticed there was a setting in the Windows Media Player to make it
default. You might try changing that.

Clark

Old July 23rd 05, 01:00 AM
Ned Hamilton

The file types has nothing to do with what happens when a DVD disc is
inserted into a drive. file types is for handling default actions when
double clicking or opening a particular type of file.
Autoplay settings are set for devices.
file types are set for types of files.

t...

Old July 23rd 05, 02:57 AM
HillBillyBuddhist

"Ned Hamilton" wrote in message
om...
Anyone know how to fix AutoPlay for DVD movies?

My new XPS5 came configured to autoplay DVDs with PowerDVD which is a
piece of ****.
So I went to AutoPlay settings for the two DVD players and set it to
always play with WM Player.
But when I insert DVD it brings up my Docs & Settings folder!

Tried setting AutoPlay back to PowerDVD--nada.
Tried running autoplay for the drive then clicked on "Always do the
selected action" and it plays but the "Always play..." doesn't persist.

Any thoughts?

I've looked thru registry and can't find anything that looks like what
it's doing wrong.

It does play CDs correctly using WMP as I have set it.

The Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Wizard scans your computer devices to find
defective AutoPlay settings, and attempts to fix those it finds.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.