NV Firewall and Norton Internet Security?

Old January 15th 05, 11:10 AM
fsda

Default NV Firewall and Norton Internet Security?

I have an Asus A8N-SLI. Looking forward to the lower CPU utilization of
the Nvidia4 chipset, I installed the Nvidia Firewall (ActiveArmor). This
motherboard came bundled with a copy of Norton Internet Security 2004.

I want to use the Nvidia Firewall, but use the other features of Norton
Internet Security 2004, like antivirus, antispam, etc.

My problem is, When the Nvidia Firewall is activated, the Norton LiveUpdate
feature cannot connect, and I cannot figure out a way to give it
permission. I even added a rule to the Nvidia Firewall setings allowing
the LiveUpdate app, but it still didn't do the trick. And, the Nvidia
Firewall never pops up to tell me anything is wrong..

Anyone else have this problem?
Old January 15th 05, 05:57 PM
Larry Gagnon

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:10:49 +0000, fsda wrote:

I have an Asus A8N-SLI. Looking forward to the lower CPU utilization of
the Nvidia4 chipset, I installed the Nvidia Firewall (ActiveArmor). This
motherboard came bundled with a copy of Norton Internet Security 2004.

I want to use the Nvidia Firewall, but use the other features of Norton
Internet Security 2004, like antivirus, antispam, etc.

My problem is, When the Nvidia Firewall is activated, the Norton
LiveUpdate feature cannot connect, and I cannot figure out a way to give
it permission. I even added a rule to the Nvidia Firewall setings
allowing the LiveUpdate app, but it still didn't do the trick. And, the
Nvidia Firewall never pops up to tell me anything is wrong..

Anyone else have this problem?

IMHO I would uninstall Norton stuff. That is one of the most invasive,
power hungry pieces of software ever written. Its many features require
that large parts of it be constantly loaded, taking up resources, and the
default update settings are way to frequent. On anything but a new
powerful computer Norton System Works and their other products can
significantly slow down your machine.

If I were you I would use AVG for Anti-Virus and AdAware for spyware and
chuck Norton. The former two are much less invasive and yet, as powerful.

On the other hand if you want a machine that is secure without having to
ad all that extra software crap you should switch to Linux - at which
point you would be very unlucky to ever get another virus or piece of
spyware on your computer.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

Old January 15th 05, 07:31 PM
fsda

Larry Gagnon wrote in
news
[...]

OK, I'm not that desparate - i.e. going to Linux. But I'm open to
considering something other than Norton, given how flaky it is on my
system.

What about Anti-Spam for email?

Basically I want Anti-virus, anti-spyware (although I don't understand
how this is different than a firewall), and anti-email-spam software.
Old January 15th 05, 07:56 PM
fsda

fsda wrote in
:

Larry Gagnon wrote in
news
[...]

AVG doesn't scan scripts (i.e. VGA or Java). I'm not comfortable
without that. How about PC-Chillin or BitDefender?

Also, have you actually used AVG and AdAware with the Nvidia Firewall -
i.e. and have been able to get them to work together? This is the
original reason for my question.

Thanks.
Old January 15th 05, 08:00 PM
Steve

"fsda" wrote in message
Larry Gagnon wrote in
news
[...]

For anti-spyware try spybot 1.3 (it's free software)
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...?tag=lst-0-2or http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.htmlMicrosoft has released a free anti-spyware (it's a beta software, and alsofree)http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../default.mspxI have used this beta software on many computers no problems.The core of this program is by Giant Anti-Spyware,Microsoft recently bought our Giant Anti-SpywareSpyware.Linux Operating Systems have Security problems tohttp://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletinsByType/vndr_linux_bulletins.htmlLinux just has less Security Holes than most Microsoft Operating Systems.Steve

Old January 15th 05, 08:10 PM
Steve

"Steve" wrote in message

"fsda" wrote in message
Larry Gagnon wrote in
news
[...]

re-post cleaned up formatting....

For anti-spyware try spybot 1.3 (it's free software)
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...ml?tag=lst-0-2

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
I have used this beta software on many computers no problems.
The core of this program is by Giant Anti-Spyware, Microsoft recently
bought our Giant Anti-Spyware.

Linux Operating Systems have Security problems to
http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletinsBy...bulletins.html
Linux just has less Security Holes than most Microsoft Operating Systems.

For anti-virus

http://www.kaspersky.com/ or http://www.f-prot.com/

For Anti-spam try
http://www.f-prot.com/

Steve

Old January 15th 05, 11:14 PM
Gordon Scott

fsda wrote:

fsda wrote in
:

Larry Gagnon wrote in
news
[...]

www.kaspersky.com for AV, with extended databases it also has pornware,
adware, malware etc protection. its the favorite AV of virus writers.
google toolbar for popup protection.
spybot and ad-aware for spyware
safe-hex and common sense for protection in everything else
Old January 16th 05, 09:55 AM
RJT

fsda wrote:
I have an Asus A8N-SLI. Looking forward to the lower CPU utilization of
the Nvidia4 chipset, I installed the Nvidia Firewall (ActiveArmor). This
motherboard came bundled with a copy of Norton Internet Security 2004.

I want to use the Nvidia Firewall, but use the other features of Norton
Internet Security 2004, like antivirus, antispam, etc.

My problem is, When the Nvidia Firewall is activated, the Norton LiveUpdate
feature cannot connect, and I cannot figure out a way to give it
permission. I even added a rule to the Nvidia Firewall setings allowing
the LiveUpdate app, but it still didn't do the trick. And, the Nvidia
Firewall never pops up to tell me anything is wrong..

Anyone else have this problem?

I had the exact same problem. For some reason the nVidia firewall doesnt
work very well, it blocks certain programms even though you add them to
the allow-list, and blocks traffic to certain sites for the same
unexplained reason. I've asked ASUS to look in on this, as nVidia seems
not to give customer support on this.

I've found a sollution to get Norton Internet Security to work with the
nVidia firewall though. I reset the firewall to factory default,
rebooted, created a new CUSTOM profile based on whichever setting I
liked best - and made sure the Intelligent Application Manager (IAM) was
turned on - I think it was HIGH. Then I reinstalled NIS.

I haven't yet figured out why the firewall blocks traffic to certain
sites, like www.postbank.nl. Using the nVidia firewall, it blocks
outgoing packets to this site, even though I've added it to the
allow-list, even when I use the OFF profile. Odd eh. I've switched to
using the Marvel LAN and the NIS firewall, although this gives a higher
CPU load. I'm very pleased with the NIS antivirus prog, it has done good
work for me for years now.
Old January 16th 05, 11:17 AM
Chris

RJT wrote:

I haven't yet figured out why the firewall blocks traffic to certain
sites, like www.postbank.nl. Using the nVidia firewall, it blocks
outgoing packets to this site, even though I've added it to the
allow-list, even when I use the OFF profile. Odd eh. I've switched to
using the Marvel LAN and the NIS firewall, although this gives a higher
CPU load. I'm very pleased with the NIS antivirus prog, it has done good
work for me for years now.

I have the same problem - all I could find with Ethereal was that the
problem websites somehow cause a checksum error on certain outbound TCP
packets. I am guessing that the firewall blocks these packets, leading
to a timeout.

Interestingly, one website that I couldn't access (www.richersounds.com)
has now been redesigned, and I can now access it.

Cheers,
Chris.
Old January 16th 05, 09:45 PM
RJT

Chris wrote:
I have the same problem - all I could find with Ethereal was that the
problem websites somehow cause a checksum error on certain outbound TCP
packets. I am guessing that the firewall blocks these packets, leading
to a timeout.

It is indeed an interesting problem. I'm affraid I've too little
knowledge of networking protocols to figure this one out, and too little
time to gain the knowledge needed. I hope nVidia find the answer and fix
it - it'd be a shame to have to let the nVidia firewall go to waste, but
as is, it is unusable for me, and I can't recommend it to anyone.