Epson Printer Port

Old December 4th 04, 04:47 PM
Howard

Default Epson Printer Port

Now that I have installed my 7600, at first intermittently and now
constantly, when I boot the computer I get an Epson Printer Port error
message saying that "At least one service or driver failed during
system startup. Use event viewer to examine the event log for
details". I had the same problem when I had a 2200 (though that was
connected by Firewire and now I am USB...on a Windows XP
Platform). Ultimately nothing helped until I just uninstalled the
Epson Printer Port and the printer seemed to work OK. Can the Epson
Printer Port be uninstalled on the 7600 without problems and still
have the 7600 work properly? If I don't uninstall and just clickOK to
the error message will things still be working properly? Will
uninstalling the Epson Printer Port cause a problem when trying to use
a 3rd party RIP like ImagePrint?

Thanks.

Howard
Old December 6th 04, 12:36 AM
Howard

I have found the solution to my Epson Printer Port problem and am
posting it in case anyone else ever has a similar problem…at least it
will be in the archives, though as you will see it turned out to be a
fairly esoteric problem.

I noticed that the problem that I had posted about the Epson Printer
Port error message several posts back occurred about 95% of the
time…but not every time I booted up. I also noticed that the programs
that were in my system tray would start up in variable order and
thought that perhaps one of these system tray or other ‘background'
programs were somehow conflicting with the Epson Printer Port at
startup but that every so often they would start in an order whereby
the Epson Printer Port was somehow OK.

So I ran msconfig and basically inhibited all the background ‘stuff'
from starting at boot and I stopped getting the error message. Then,
one by one, I added each background program to startup and rebooted
until I found the one startup program that was causing me to get the
error message. It was called ‘SBDrvDet'. I then went to a reference I
had downloaded from the internet that tells the purpose of every known
startup program that runs in the background. Turns out that SBDrvDet
is "Detects the ‘Easy Front Panel' Audio Connectivity Drive Internal
Drive Bay on the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum ex." Can be disabled
if you don't have one was the advice given in the reference." Well, I
don't have one, but I do have an Audigy sound card. I disabled the
SBDrvDet from loading at startup in msconfig and the problem is now
gone and I still have sound…though I guess I will never be buying the
Easy Front Panel :).

So now it is in the archives as a reference in case anyone else has
the same problem.

Howard

Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Printer (Epson Stylus Photo 890) utilities with Airport/Express ? Ronald Florence Printers 0 August 11th 04 03:16 PM
Epson USB printer tries LPT1 port, can't install it to USB. sundance Printers 2 June 26th 04 05:10 PM
I think my FX5200 is damaged...........any way to verify? Dunny Rummy Nvidia Videocards 4 October 28th 03 04:50 PM
Can I uninstall ALL device drivers? Upgrade problem... Joanna Compaq Computers 2 September 26th 03 05:39 AM