increased ram from 512 to 2 Gig, but...

Old September 20th 05, 02:37 PM
J Mac

Default increased ram from 512 to 2 Gig, but...

I got two 1 Gig sticks from Corsair (CMSS1GB-400SOD) for
a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Now, every time it boots, it says memory
has changed and I have to hit F1 to continue. Do I need to update
the BIOS again? I currently am using A06.

Thanks Very Much!!!

Old September 20th 05, 03:13 PM
spodosaurus

J Mac wrote:
I got two 1 Gig sticks from Corsair (CMSS1GB-400SOD) for
a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Now, every time it boots, it says memory
has changed and I have to hit F1 to continue. Do I need to update
the BIOS again? I currently am using A06.

Have you tried hitting F1?

Thanks Very Much!!!

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old September 20th 05, 03:46 PM
J Mac

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
J Mac wrote:
I got two 1 Gig sticks from Corsair (CMSS1GB-400SOD) for
a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Now, every time it boots, it says memory
has changed and I have to hit F1 to continue. Do I need to update
the BIOS again? I currently am using A06.

Have you tried hitting F1?

Of course, I have to hit F1 to continue each time.

Old September 20th 05, 04:05 PM
JAD

load cmos defaults or try and clear it. Sounds like the timings or quantity
doesn't agree with the system. what OS are you running and is it able to
even use that much ram efficiently?

Old September 20th 05, 04:20 PM
J Mac

"JAD" wrote in message
load cmos defaults or try and clear it. Sounds like the timings or

quantity
doesn't agree with the system. what OS are you running and is it able to
even use that much ram efficiently?

Thanks JAD!!
I am running xp pro. What is best way to clear cmos??

Thanks again!!!

I am getting lots of blue screens now. I did a few benchmark tests from
Sandra Pro SiSoftware 2005 and they did great for memory bandwidth although
the L2 cache seemed low to me (on
the benchmark test) relatively speaking.

Old September 20th 05, 04:46 PM
JAD

cmos is the mainboard setup routine. clearing it or entering the setup
screen varies from machine to machine. what model is this rig? have you
done all the updates for the os?

"J Mac" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 20th 05, 06:01 PM
J Mac

"JAD" wrote in message
cmos is the mainboard setup routine. clearing it or entering the setup
screen varies from machine to machine. what model is this rig? have you
done all the updates for the os?

Thanks much. This is a Dell Inspiron 9100 w/ xp pro. It uses Phoenix
Technologies bios. I have been in the setup many times and can't find a
default reinstall. I am using version A06 BIOS.

Old September 20th 05, 06:08 PM
JAD

Press F2 during POST to enter the system setup program.

Press Alt and f to reset the computer defaults.

Press Esc, select Save changes and reboot, and press Enter to save
configuration changes

HTH

Old September 20th 05, 06:29 PM
J Mac

"JAD" wrote in message

Press F2 during POST to enter the system setup program.

Press Alt and f to reset the computer defaults.

Press Esc, select Save changes and reboot, and press Enter to save
configuration changes

Alt + f was the secret I didn't know. Thanks much!!! I'll let you know how
it works.

Old September 20th 05, 07:15 PM
spodosaurus

J Mac wrote:

I got two 1 Gig sticks from Corsair (CMSS1GB-400SOD) for
a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Now, every time it boots, it says memory
has changed and I have to hit F1 to continue. Do I need to update
the BIOS again? I currently am using A06.

Have you tried hitting F1?

Of course, I have to hit F1 to continue each time.

And you've gone into the bios and saved things (even if you've made no
bios setting changes)?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/