Geforce Video Cards - slowest to fastest

Old July 15th 03, 03:41 AM
Chris Hagler

Default Geforce Video Cards - slowest to fastest

Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that shows you which card is faster than
the next??

I have a Geforce 3 TI 500 - and am confuse what I should upgrade
to....because I have read that the Geforce 3 TI 500 is faster than Geforce 4
MX cards, etc... One would think that the Geforce 4 cards would all be
faster...but apparently not.

If I upgraded to aGeforce FX5200 would I gain anything......or should I go
up to a fx 5600.

I have a 1.7Ghz Pentium 4 with 512 ram.

Thanks.....

Old July 15th 03, 03:54 AM
Wanderer

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:41:04 GMT, "Chris Hagler"
wrote:

Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that shows you which card is faster than
the next??

I have a Geforce 3 TI 500 - and am confuse what I should upgrade
to....because I have read that the Geforce 3 TI 500 is faster than Geforce 4
MX cards, etc... One would think that the Geforce 4 cards would all be
faster...but apparently not.

Well, the *REAL* GF4 cards are. You have to remember, the GF4MX is
just the GF2MX with a faster memory controller. The GF3 is indeed
superior to the GF4MX.

If I upgraded to aGeforce FX5200 would I gain anything......or should I go
up to a fx 5600.

Skip the 5200. Go to at least a 5200 Ultra or more preferably a 5600.

Old July 15th 03, 11:59 AM
Paul Moloney

Wanderer writes:

Skip the 5200. Go to at least a 5200 Ultra or more preferably a 5600.

I read that the Gainward FX 5600s are quite noisy:

1. Are there any comparable cards that are quieter?

2. Can I replace the fan on the Gainward 5600 with a heatsink?

Cheers,

P.
Paul Moloney, Technical Writer
http://www.paulmoloney.org Remove the obvious bit to email
Old July 15th 03, 12:09 PM
Strontium

You could get a Zalman heatsink, and negate the need for a fan. I believe
the going price is $35, despite what the review says.

http://tinyurl.com/gyyx

-
Paul Moloney stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Wanderer writes:

Skip the 5200. Go to at least a 5200 Ultra or more preferably a
5600.

I read that the Gainward FX 5600s are quite noisy:

1. Are there any comparable cards that are quieter?

2. Can I replace the fan on the Gainward 5600 with a heatsink?

Cheers,

P.

Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311