9600 Pro need some serious help from the Gurus!

Old November 8th 03, 04:03 PM
Vassik

Default 9600 Pro need some serious help from the Gurus!

Sorry for the long post but I am pulling my hair out!
9600 Pro updated to 3.9 drivers due to flickering with previous versions,
computer starts up fine the first time, flickering problem resolved all is
great until I restart a couple of times then ....right after the Microsoft
logo (windows XP) the message
appears that the screen entered the low power state ... 'move the mouse to
wake up' (it does not). The HD works slowly for about 45 seconds, the
computer reboots and the options appear: Something went wrong you want to
start in Safe Mode, etc.
Spend a few hours on the phone with ATI tech support and they told me that
most likely it was hardware problem but I am on my THIRD (3rd) 9600 Pro
card with the exact same results! It is almost impossible to have 3 cards
with the same hardware problems. It could not be overheating because it only
happens with the 3.9 drivers.

I run some tests and here are the results. By the way, every time I changed
drivers, I did a clean install of the (new) ones:

9600 Pro with 3.6 drivers No problems booting or otherwise, except the
flickering.
9600 Pro with 3.7 drivers No problems booting or otherwise, except the
flickering
9600 Pro with 3.8 drivers No problems booting or otherwise, except the
flickering

I also tested 2 other cards I borrowed:
9600 SE with 3.9 drivers - no problems at all.
8500 with 3.9 drivers - no problems at all.

So what could cause this with the 9600 Pro? It seems that there is a
conflict with one of the drivers for the 9600 Pro and windows XP. Under safe
startup there is no step by step confirmation as in Windows 98 so I can
maybe narrow the focus.

Looking in Event viewer the only error it shows is as follows:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of
d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cp p. Please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error. Click on the link
and I get to MS but there is no article!

Here is my setup:
P4 2.4
1GB Ram
XP Home with all the patches
No overclocking and everything in Bios set to normal and Bios up to date
Via 4 in 1 up to date
Directx up to date
Intel chipset files up to date

Please help me solve this.

Old November 8th 03, 04:22 PM
Skid

A quick search of the MS Knowledge Base turned up this article

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

It suggests the culprit is a damaged Windows file that can be fixed by
following the directions provided.

Old November 8th 03, 06:40 PM
ugg

Here is my setup:
P4 2.4
1GB Ram
XP Home with all the patches
No overclocking and everything in Bios set to normal and Bios up to date
Via 4 in 1 up to date
Directx up to date
Intel chipset files up to date

Why are you loading both VIA and Intel drivers? What's your motherboard? You
might be fudging up your mobo with the wrong mobo drivers.

best-0-luck,
ugg

Old November 8th 03, 08:54 PM
Kent_Diego

Spend a few hours on the phone with ATI tech support and they told me that
most likely it was hardware problem but I am on my THIRD (3rd) 9600 Pro
card with the exact same results! It is almost impossible to have 3 cards

These hardware problems are hard to diagnose, keep replacing parts until
fixed. Start with RAM, run memtest86 and also experiment with BIOS settings
in motherboard. Try 4x AGP and dis-able fast writes. Be sure to have latest
motherboard BIOS. Remove a stick of RAM to see if helps. Next is replace
motherboard and then power supply.

Some motherboards are just screwed, I have had them. Look at
http://rage3d.com forums for more advice.

-Kent

Old November 9th 03, 01:06 AM
Vassik

Thanks for all the suggestions but No Joy!
I tried everything.. Windows repair then reinstalled all the patches,
removed and reinstalled memory modules one at a time and I have the exact
same situation. The card works
with the previous drivers but there is flickering, however with the new
drivers 3.9 windows refuses to load after the first couple of restarts I get
the error that the driver is faulty!
Again I experimented with the 9600 SE card and it works fine with the 3.9
drivers. This is very frustrating.
I am sure it has to do with a software issue because if it was hardware it
would have been consistent with all drivers (3.7 and 3.8) ...correct?
Thanks again and if I find a solution I will post it.

Old November 9th 03, 02:09 AM
Shawk

"Kent_Diego" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried deleting the 3.9's from your system and d-loading them again
in case your file (or part of it) is corrupt?

Shawk

Old November 9th 03, 10:37 AM
Shawk

"Vassik" wrote in message
yes, completely uninstall them a few times now. No luck!

Vassik,

Have you tried deleting the 3.9's from your system and d-loading them

again
in case your file (or part of it) is corrupt?

Shawk

Have you tried repairing your XP installation exactly as it tells you to in
the knowledge base article Skid found for you?

If you did, have you then reloaded your AGP driver (from the 4in 1's) and
reloaded DX9.0b?

Have you tried DXDiag and what are the results?

Shawk.

Old November 9th 03, 04:38 PM
Vassik

Thanks so much for keeping up with me! Yes, I followed the directions of the
knowledge base article. DXDiag shows that all is normal and that Dx version
as 9.0b. The only thing I have not reinstalled is the 4 in 1 because all
devices are working ok. Shall I try and reinstall it? At this moment I am
using the ATI 9600SE card I borrowed from a friend and all is working fine.
Again, I appreciate all your help.

Old November 9th 03, 05:56 PM
Shawk

"Vassik" wrote in message
yes, completely uninstall them a few times now. No luck!

Vassik,

Have you tried deleting the 3.9's from your system and d-loading

them
again
in case your file (or part of it) is corrupt?

Shawk

Have you tried repairing your XP installation exactly as it tells you to

in
the knowledge base article Skid found for you?

If you did, have you then reloaded your AGP driver (from the 4in 1's)

and
reloaded DX9.0b?

Have you tried DXDiag and what are the results?

Shawk.

Vassik,

My PC was solid as a rock with a Sapphire 9600 pro until last week when I
updated the drivers to 3.9's. Started getting problems including Call of
Duty crashing - horror!!

Got advice to turn all sort of things off but after updating the 4in1's,
reloading DX9.0b everything was fine with nothing turned off. Obviously
might not work for you but worth a try.

Remember that certain drivers can affect/overwrite/corrupt others - whenever
I get issues I always start by reloading my AGP graphics driver (from the
4in1's) and reloading DX9.0b

BTW - you mentioned VIA 4in1's AND Intel chipset on your first post - what
mobo do you have? It should only require one or the other and this could be
the problem!!

.....bloody strange the other cards are working OK though if your sure it
isnt a hardware prob.

Shawk