Packard Bell

Old December 19th 03, 02:56 PM
vinny33

Default Packard Bell

Thanks for all the help you have given me,i now have managed to increase my
systems resources to about 87%

Regards

Vin

Old December 19th 03, 09:45 PM
First Last

Vin:

If you load and then exit several programs, you'll find that your available
memory and resources will drop. There is a shareware version of SysTweak's
MemoryZipper available that will recover the lost memory and resources.
There are other proggies that will do the same thing -- check on
download.com or tucows.com. It's a chronic issue with WinDoze 95/98/ME.

Old December 20th 03, 12:23 AM
Ben Myers

It's not just 95/98/ME. It's all the sloppily written programs, mostly from
none other than (SURPRISE!) Micro$oft. Many programs cause memory and system
resource leakage due to poor management of the memory used by the programs. The
programs grab memory when they need it (actually they beg for it nicely from
Windows), but often fail to release it when they finish with it. When a program
aborts, it is potentially even worse, because possibly more memory is left in an
unreleased state. So the memory available continues to drop, as do the system
resource pool items which keep track of all this memory.

MemoryZipper (and others) are smart enough to first scan through memory and find
the owner of each memory block that is allocated as used. If a chunk of memory
has no owner, MemoryZipper takes it over and then releases it properly back into
the WIndows pool of available memory. Then MemoryZipper shuffles programs and
data around in memory to make the available memory pool contiguous. Doh! Why
couldn't Windows 95/98/ME do this all by itself? Probably because Micro$oft
didn't want them to look too good compared to NT/2000/XPee.

But, in summary, more disciplined application software making more judicious use
of memory would have made 95/98/ME apparently better. But there is more to the
story as to why Windows is such a shabby insecure and unreliable OS, and the
story goes on and on today with XPee... Ben Myers

Old December 20th 03, 02:47 PM
Elector

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:23:08 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) had this to say
and I had to reply to it:
snip
::But, in summary, more disciplined application software making more judicious use
:f memory would have made 95/98/ME apparently better. But there is more to the
::story as to why Windows is such a shabby insecure and unreliable OS, and the
::story goes on and on today with XPee... Ben Myers

It reminds me of that James Bond film about the "Communications Tycoon" who states to "have his
software released to the public", and then "make sure there are several bugs in it" this way we can
sell patches for years to come. Sound familure?

Elector
Old December 20th 03, 02:54 PM
Ben Myers

And where do you think the idea for the communications tycoon came from for the
Bond movie? wgates + Rupert Murdoch = Jonathan Pryce. Doh! ... Ben Myers

Old December 20th 03, 03:28 PM
Elector

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
And where do you think the idea for the communications tycoon came

from for the
Bond movie? wgates + Rupert Murdoch = Jonathan Pryce. Doh! ...

Ben Myers

I knew that, I was showing what you were referring to in your last
post before mine. Ha ha

Elector

Old December 20th 03, 10:50 PM
metronid

When consumers have varous choices to
pick from the manufacturers and sellers have
to respond to the market in order to survive

When there is basically on one choice the
consumer usually suffers

This is the case with Microsuck products

Microsuck has done what the 60's car manufacturers
have already tried
Mr Bill has added fins so he can sell a new product
Yes he has changed the engine somewhat

Then came the competition that no one saw
The auto manufacturers saw the overhead cam by
foreign manufacturers and a thing called quality

As long as Microsuck has no real competition
Mr Bill will sell to us as the alternatives appear to be
limited

I wonder what would happen if the OS industry was more
competitive

The problem I beleive is with the copyright laws
What Microsoft produces in software should be considered (Patent) not
(Copyright)

This would of course require a legal challenge.
Software copyright as opposed to Patent software
a misnomer should be in front of the courts

I beleive ther is a difference between written material
and software as it is included in the same legal context

In any case Bill will sell poop to us as long as
it is the only available food
And we will buy it and eat it
GO FIGURE