BFG FX 5900

Old January 24th 04, 07:43 PM
Jay

Default BFG FX 5900

Im looking to upgrade my onboard graphics...Im a newbie da....so please be
kind. about the connectors...Im guessing vga means regular kind of monitor
and dvi means lcd monitors...what does vivo mean...and lets say (I dont have
interest now but probably will in the future) I ever wanted to use the pc to
record ...do you get another kind of video capture card...that would fit in
a pci slot (since the agp slot would be taken up with the video card)
......another thing..Im guessing this bfg fx 5900 card is the way to
go....what do yah think....I appreciate your time

Old January 25th 04, 12:25 AM
DaveW

VIVO means video-in / video-out. Yes, you would need a PCI type video
capture card. The BFG FX 5900 would be a good card; IF it's compatible with
your motherboard's AGP slot and voltage.

--
DaveW

Old January 25th 04, 12:33 AM
Mark A

"Jay" wrote in message
Im looking to upgrade my onboard graphics...Im a newbie da....so please

be
kind. about the connectors...Im guessing vga means regular kind of

monitor
and dvi means lcd monitors...what does vivo mean...and lets say (I dont

have
interest now but probably will in the future) I ever wanted to use the

pc
record ...do you get another kind of video capture card...that would fit

in
a pci slot (since the agp slot would be taken up with the video card)
.....another thing..Im guessing this bfg fx 5900 card is the way to
go....what do yah think....I appreciate your time

Just be aware that you need one empty PCI slot next to the AGP slot for
cards like the 5900. This is because of the large heat synch and fan
assembly of high end AGP video cards that prevent you from using the first
PCI slot for anything else.

Old January 25th 04, 12:39 AM
~misfit~

Jay wrote:
Im looking to upgrade my onboard graphics...Im a newbie da....so
please be kind. about the connectors...Im guessing vga means regular
kind of monitor and dvi means lcd monitors...what does vivo
mean...and lets say (I dont have interest now but probably will in
the future) I ever wanted to use the pc to record ...do you get
another kind of video capture card...that would fit in a pci slot
(since the agp slot would be taken up with the video card)
.....another thing..Im guessing this bfg fx 5900 card is the way to
go....what do yah think....I appreciate your time

VIVO means 'video in/video out', as in you can use your card to capture
video from an external source, or use a TV as a monitor. (although IMO that
is only useful for watching DivX's with friends).
--
~misfit~

Old January 25th 04, 01:12 AM
Jay

hey Dave...how would a dummy like me find out if my motherboard is
compatible (as far as the voltage you were mentioning...I have a fic au31
motherboard. I have an agp slot and pci slot open here is the site that
should tell you everything about my board (i guess)
www.vr-zone.com/reviews/FIC/AU31/ I appreciate your time

Old January 25th 04, 01:42 AM
Albert

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:33:00 -0700, "Mark A"
wrote:

Just be aware that you need one empty PCI slot next to the AGP slot for
cards like the 5900.

Take a look at this board. http://tinyurl.com/2nocr Abit knows about
the size needed and leaves room for a large fan and breathing space
for the fan. Nice.

Have a great day,
Albert

Old January 25th 04, 04:27 AM
John Lewis

wrote:

"Jay" wrote in message
[...]

Not that you would ever want to, except for a peripheral that needs no
iterrupt, since the AGP and PCI1 Slot share the same physical
interrupt. Not a good idea ever to share an interrupt with a high-perf
video card, regardless of the software assertion that they can be
shared.

John Lewis

John Lewis

Old January 25th 04, 09:52 PM
J. Clarke

Jay wrote:

Im looking to upgrade my onboard graphics...Im a newbie da....so please be
kind. about the connectors...Im guessing vga means regular kind of monitor
and dvi means lcd monitors...

Almost. VGA is the regular connector, DVI is a digital connector--there are
CRT monitors that accept DVI inputs and LCD monitors that don't, so it's
not really a function of the monitor technology so much as what the
manufacturer has chosen to implement.

what does vivo mean...

Video-in/Video-out--usually means it can display video on a TV and capture
video from an analog source.

and lets say (I dont
have interest now but probably will in the future) I ever wanted to use
the pc to record ...do you get another kind of video capture card...that
would fit in a pci slot (since the agp slot would be taken up with the
video card) .....another thing..Im guessing this bfg fx 5900 card is the
way to go....what do yah think....I appreciate your time

If you have a VIVO board you won't need an additional board to capture
analog video, otherwise you'd need a separate capture board or an external
capture device connected via a Firewire or USB port.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)