Nv47: 24 pipes. Spring 05

Old December 9th 04, 06:28 AM

Default Nv47: 24 pipes. Spring 05

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...208014939.html

"While NVIDIA remains extremely tight-lipped over its future products,
it is known that the company is readying its code-named NV47 visual
processing unit, a massively revamped GeForce 6 architecture with 24
pixel pipelines. The NV47 is expected to be released sometime in
Spring, 2005, but it is unknown whether NVIDIA is ahead, or behind
ATI's R520 product.

The status of NVIDIA's future architecture code-named NV50 is also
uncertain: some reported recently that the chip had been cancelled, but
officials decline to confirm or deny the information."

Old December 9th 04, 05:33 PM
NightSky 421

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...208014939.html

"While NVIDIA remains extremely tight-lipped over its future products,
it is known that the company is readying its code-named NV47 visual
processing unit, a massively revamped GeForce 6 architecture with 24
pixel pipelines. The NV47 is expected to be released sometime in
Spring, 2005, but it is unknown whether NVIDIA is ahead, or behind
ATI's R520 product.

The status of NVIDIA's future architecture code-named NV50 is also
uncertain: some reported recently that the chip had been cancelled, but
officials decline to confirm or deny the information."

I don't plan to do anything big in terms of upgrades to my PC until probably
2006, so I can imagine how much faster the new box will be by then compared
to my current machine which is now 15 months old! These sorts of
developments are promising.

Old December 9th 04, 05:59 PM
Tony DiMarzio

Ya know what I want? I wan't two Vid cards. 1 ATI, and 1 NVidia. I wan't
them to both be 50$, have 64 pixel pipelines, use GDDR4 at 1.5ghz and run
on the not-yet-conceived USB 3.0 interface that supports 800Gbps; this way I
can swap them out whenever I need to in no time at all. ****... I could even
carry my USB 3.0 vid cards on my keys... but then I'd look like a real nerd
and it would really suck if I lost my keys.

Eh.....hmmm... anyway.... I'm thinkin ATI's gonna win next round.

R520 NV47 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Tony DiMarzio

oups.com...

Old December 10th 04, 01:52 AM
Nicholas Buenk

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...208014939.html

"While NVIDIA remains extremely tight-lipped over its future products,
it is known that the company is readying its code-named NV47 visual
processing unit, a massively revamped GeForce 6 architecture with 24
pixel pipelines. The NV47 is expected to be released sometime in
Spring, 2005, but it is unknown whether NVIDIA is ahead, or behind
ATI's R520 product.

The status of NVIDIA's future architecture code-named NV50 is also
uncertain: some reported recently that the chip had been cancelled, but
officials decline to confirm or deny the information."

Err, and CPU's still only have 9 piplines.

Old December 10th 04, 02:21 AM
Richard Dower

"Nicholas Buenk" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...208014939.html

"While NVIDIA remains extremely tight-lipped over its future products,
it is known that the company is readying its code-named NV47 visual
processing unit, a massively revamped GeForce 6 architecture with 24
pixel pipelines. The NV47 is expected to be released sometime in
Spring, 2005, but it is unknown whether NVIDIA is ahead, or behind
ATI's R520 product.

The status of NVIDIA's future architecture code-named NV50 is also
uncertain: some reported recently that the chip had been cancelled, but
officials decline to confirm or deny the information."

Err, and CPU's still only have 9 piplines.

We should have got 32 pipes with a 600MHz core clock and GDDR3 @
1.6Ghz!!!!!!

Old December 10th 04, 05:19 AM
Minotaur

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
Ya know what I want? I wan't two Vid cards. 1 ATI, and 1 NVidia. I wan't
them to both be 50$, have 64 pixel pipelines, use GDDR4 at 1.5ghz and run
on the not-yet-conceived USB 3.0 interface that supports 800Gbps; this way I
can swap them out whenever I need to in no time at all. ****... I could even
carry my USB 3.0 vid cards on my keys... but then I'd look like a real nerd
and it would really suck if I lost my keys.

Eh.....hmmm... anyway.... I'm thinkin ATI's gonna win next round.

R520 NV47 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well with IBM manufactoring nVidia's GPU and Sony pumping in a fortune
with there PS3 partnership, it should be interesting. Just imagine some
of the resources and technologies available to nVidia now from Sony.

Perhaps ATI needs AMD to do some of the fab work for there GPU
Old December 10th 04, 07:05 AM

Nvidia's next gen PC GPU, whatever it is (not Nv47, but either NV50,
NV55, or NV60) will probably have 48 pipelines, at 600~700 Mhz. on 90
nm or 65 nm. just guessing.

Old December 10th 04, 01:29 PM
factory

In article ,
says...
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...208014939.html
"While NVIDIA remains extremely tight-lipped over its future products,
it is known that the company is readying its code-named NV47 visual
processing unit, a massively revamped GeForce 6 architecture with 24
pixel pipelines. The NV47 is expected to be released sometime in
Spring, 2005, but it is unknown whether NVIDIA is ahead, or behind
ATI's R520 product.

The status of NVIDIA's future architecture code-named NV50 is also
uncertain: some reported recently that the chip had been cancelled, but
officials decline to confirm or deny the information."

Err, and CPU's still only have 9 piplines.

CPU's generally only have one pipeline,
maily because they generally operate in a
serial manner. The stuff a GPU operates on is
highly parallelised so going with multiple
pipelines makes sense.

- Factory
Old December 10th 04, 02:48 PM
Nicholas Buenk

"factory" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...208014939.html
"While NVIDIA remains extremely tight-lipped over its future products,
it is known that the company is readying its code-named NV47 visual
processing unit, a massively revamped GeForce 6 architecture with 24
pixel pipelines. The NV47 is expected to be released sometime in
Spring, 2005, but it is unknown whether NVIDIA is ahead, or behind
ATI's R520 product.

The status of NVIDIA's future architecture code-named NV50 is also
uncertain: some reported recently that the chip had been cancelled, but
officials decline to confirm or deny the information."

Err, and CPU's still only have 9 piplines.

CPU's generally only have one pipeline,
maily because they generally operate in a
serial manner. The stuff a GPU operates on is
highly parallelised so going with multiple
pipelines makes sense.

The 486 was the last CPU to have one pipeline....
The Athlon 64 has 9 the Pentium 4 7. Still the more piplines you have the
harder it is to push up mhz. And if GPU deal with more parallel data than
CPU's....