AGP Apeture size.

Old November 23rd 04, 11:37 AM
liam

Default AGP Apeture size.

Been playing Half-life 2 (stress test 63fps) on my AMD 2100+, 768mb,
sapphire 9600 pro 128meg and apart from the stuttering things have been
fine.
But I realised this morning I have never changed the Bios (Asus
A7N8X-Deluxe) setting from my old card 8500AIW 64meg to 128meg...
Should I notice any increase in speed changing the apature size ?

Old November 23rd 04, 12:07 PM
maniac

Potential newsgroup troll known as liam typed:

Should I notice any increase in speed changing the apature size ?

Set aparature size to 2 MB. It should be enough.

--
maniac/at/tweak.pl

Old November 23rd 04, 01:03 PM
Lol

"liam" wrote in message
Been playing Half-life 2 (stress test 63fps) on my AMD 2100+, 768mb,
sapphire 9600 pro 128meg and apart from the stuttering things have been
fine.
But I realised this morning I have never changed the Bios (Asus
A7N8X-Deluxe) setting from my old card 8500AIW 64meg to 128meg...
Should I notice any increase in speed changing the apature size ?

No.
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=9

Old November 23rd 04, 09:53 PM
SteveK

"liam" wrote in message

Been playing Half-life 2 (stress test 63fps) on my AMD 2100+, 768mb,
sapphire 9600 pro 128meg and apart from the stuttering things have been
fine.
But I realised this morning I have never changed the Bios (Asus
A7N8X-Deluxe) setting from my old card 8500AIW 64meg to 128meg...
Should I notice any increase in speed changing the apature size ?

The Aperture size is only used if the video (onboard) ram space is too small
for the running application.
Since u have 128MB onboard Aperture will most likely never be used. Leave
the default 128MB as is.

Old November 23rd 04, 10:59 PM
Lee

the difference between 64mb and 128mb is very slight nothing really at all
infact setting it to 128mb could make your 3d gaming unstable, i suggest set
to 128mb and see how it goes if you start getting lockups go back down to
64mb.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:37:54 +0000 (UTC), "liam"
wrote:

:Been playing Half-life 2 (stress test 63fps) on my AMD 2100+, 768mb,
:sapphire 9600 pro 128meg and apart from the stuttering things have been
:fine.
:But I realised this morning I have never changed the Bios (Asus
:A7N8X-Deluxe) setting from my old card 8500AIW 64meg to 128meg...
:Should I notice any increase in speed changing the apature size ?
:
:

-----
Lee.
Old November 24th 04, 06:36 PM
Wblane

Normally I would say no. But with windows 98SE I noticed a huge difference in
two games when going from 128MB to 256MB aperture size. This change was the
difference between playable and unplayable with certain maps in Battlefield
1942 and BloodRayne. I don't know if this applies to XP though.

Old November 29th 04, 03:59 PM
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, maniac mused:

| Set aparature size to 2 MB. It should be enough.

If possible, this would disable APG function, and adversely affect
performance.

Old November 29th 04, 10:25 PM
SteveK

"mhicaoidh" wrote in message
Taking a moment's reflection, maniac mused:

Set aparature size to 2 MB. It should be enough.

If possible, this would disable APG function, and adversely affect
performance.

Not necessarily if you video card has 128MB+ ram.
The agp driver is filling up the video card's ram first before starting to
employ slower system ram provided the software application has been written
properly. I have done some benchmarks with 2MB aperture and the scores
stayed exactly same as with 128Mb aperture (since the aperture never has
been used). However, it does neither harm nor impact performance leaving the
aperture at default 128MB. Since we got plenty ram on today's video cards I
guess aperture size settings will be removed from bios in the near future.
It's already a dinosaur of the past..

Old November 29th 04, 10:50 PM
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, SteveK mused:

| Not necessarily if you video card has 128MB+ ram.

A setting of 4 MB (or lower, as the person recommended a setting of 2
MB, though 4 MB is the minimum generally) effectively disables the AGP Bus.
See ...

http://www.inno3d.com/support/q_a.html Q4

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
Optimal Page File size? John Blaustein Asus Motherboards 6 September 3rd 04 04:37 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Formatted Size of HD [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 5 October 28th 03 12:44 PM