GA7 VAXP Ultra SATA raid problem

Old January 7th 04, 09:36 PM
Andy H

Default GA7 VAXP Ultra SATA raid problem

After having a nightmare two days trying to install XP Pro on my two Maxtor
sata 80 gig HDD's as raid 0 during which I received constant IRQL Stop
errors I tried the older Sil3112 sata raid drivers which came on the
motherboard support CD. This allowed me to install XP OK.

Now however I notice there are no S3 or Hibernate options on the windows
shutdown screen, I've checked power options and they aren't there either.
All I've read seems to point towards the Sil drivers but if I update them I
start getting IRQL Stop errors again.

Has anyone else experienced this or can someone give me any idea as to how I
can re enable my ACPI power management. I have got susepnd set to STR (S3)
and OS as ACPI in the bios.

BTW I have had this board from day one with a striped Raid set on the
Promise controller without any problems whatsoever (until a HDD went tits
err I mean belly up) so the only new thing I've introduced is the Sil
controller and SATA drives.

Andy H

Old January 9th 04, 12:00 AM
jpsga

Once the BIOS is set for S3, The 'Stand By' shut down option puts you into
suspend to ram. Works great.

The SATA RAID drivers should match the SRAID BIOS that is in the main BIOS.
The support CD drivers are great and allow me around 100mB/s transferes.

JPS

Old January 9th 04, 08:56 PM
Andy H

What bios version are you running? What SATA driver version is it and what
drives are you using, I've now lost my array and can't get XP installled
again, constant IRQL stop errors at start up of the actual set up during the
xp install process. Any ideas.

Andy

Old January 10th 04, 06:55 AM
Dimitris

"Andy H" wrote in message ...
What bios version are you running? What SATA driver version is it and what
drives are you using, I've now lost my array and can't get XP installled
again, constant IRQL stop errors at start up of the actual set up during the
xp install process. Any ideas.

Andy

Similar thing happened to me. I had one drive with satalink, copy some
dvd movied and cd images on it, with random freezes and delayed write
errors. I thought that the seagate 3120026as sata drive was dead but
it was actually the onboard controller that doesnt work anymore. I
think that your drives should have still the winxp install, (except
you managed to do a format trying to install the winxp again). Get a
PCI sata controller, or try them before on another board.
I think that gigabyte produced some 7vaxp ultra mobos with defective
silicon image chips(SII3112) on them.
Old January 11th 04, 11:00 PM
El Kapitano

Update.

I have retrieved my old GXP120 40gig dual raid 0 array on the promise
onboard controllerso I now have a working PC again.

Tha sata pair I left in place for kicks and has been seen and installed by
XP, strange thing is the icon isn't a drive icon but after formatting it is
working but 3 Mb slower in transfers than the promise which is
highlydissapointing.

I may try a dual boot install and then remove the OS from the promise pata
array and boot from the SATA see if things improve (any ideas as to how to
go about this?).

Andy

"Dimitris" wrote in message
m...

Old January 12th 04, 08:42 AM
Dimitris

"El Kapitano" wrote in message ...
Update.

I have retrieved my old GXP120 40gig dual raid 0 array on the promise
onboard controllerso I now have a working PC again.

Tha sata pair I left in place for kicks and has been seen and installed by
XP, strange thing is the icon isn't a drive icon but after formatting it is
working but 3 Mb slower in transfers than the promise which is
highlydissapointing.

Maybe the UDMA mode of the sata drive is not set at high number.
I may try a dual boot install and then remove the OS from the promise pata
array and boot from the SATA see if things improve (any ideas as to how to
go about this?).

Andy

Well if you boot again with the winxp cd and choose to install windows
xp on the sata drives wont work? Even if you manage to install it,
then by removing completely the first operating system(e.g formatting
the promise raid array) the system most likely wont boot cause the
main boot sector and boot.ini file would be on the promise array.

Anyway, what is the revision of your motherboard and the exact models
of the maxtor drives, their firmware bios version and the date of
production? You can see this info on the sataraid utility by silicon
image.
Old January 12th 04, 07:00 PM
El Kapitano

It's a rev. 1.2 mobo. Tried f1, 2, 3 ,4 and 6 bios'.

HDD's are Maxtor Dmax Plus 9's 6Y080M080 Gb serial Y2QZ5Q0E and Y245BK9E and
firmware for both is YAR51EW0.

Can the MBR not be moved over and the boot ini altered?

I have Ghost 2003 and Drive Image 2002 will one of these work?

Thanks Dimitris.

m...

Old January 24th 04, 09:13 PM
Andy Howley

STUFF IT- I'm outta here, Asus K8v deluxe, Athlon 64 3200 and two 512 meg
sticks of Corsair 3200 pro, 4 80 gig Sata HDD's and we have lift off.

All built and working stably and 'clocked within a week, the gigabyte board
etc has been relegated to my emergency second box with only pata hdd's, the
Sil3112 was slow and terribly fubar'd - it never did work properly (a major
IRQ problem within the board design I think).

Bye all.

"El Kapitano"

wrote in message
It's a rev. 1.2 mobo. Tried f1, 2, 3 ,4 and 6 bios'.

HDD's are Maxtor Dmax Plus 9's 6Y080M080 Gb serial Y2QZ5Q0E and Y245BK9E

and
firmware for both is YAR51EW0.

Can the MBR not be moved over and the boot ini altered?

I have Ghost 2003 and Drive Image 2002 will one of these work?

Thanks Dimitris.

m...

IDE RAID Ted Dawson Asus Motherboards 29 September 21st 04 03:39 AM
Asus P4C800 Deluxe ATA SATA and RAID Promise FastTrack 378 Drivers and more. Julian Asus Motherboards 2 August 11th 04 12:43 PM
How Create SATA RAID 1 with current install? Mr Mister Asus Motherboards 8 July 25th 04 10:46 PM
A7V600 SATA RAID cache problem Stefan vom Bruch Asus Motherboards 1 May 22nd 04 12:22 PM
Problem booting from SATA disk with GA-8KNXP motherboard (like many others) Eric Janvier Gigabyte Motherboards 9 November 22nd 03 02:56 AM