Old P/I-P55TP4XE BIOS flash problems

Old December 5th 04, 10:57 PM
Erick Ondich

Default Old P/I-P55TP4XE BIOS flash problems

I recently recieved an old computer with a P/I-P55TP4XE motherboard that i
would like to use as a linux server. The current bios does not support
booting from cd so i downloaded an updated bios and thought all would go
well since i have flashed my bios many times before without issue. Problem
is none of the flash programs can recognize the flash chip it is using.
They all report unknown or just leave the chip type blank. I have set the
bios jumper to the program flash position and everything seems ok. The
flash program reads the old bios fine but cant find what type of flash chip
it is. Is it possible this board came without a flashable bios chip in it?
I have tried both the Asus Aflash utility and the Award flash utility with
no luck. I'll just make a boot floppy for my linux install if i have to but
it would be nice to get it working the right way. The board revision is
2.1. I'm out of ideas and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old December 5th 04, 11:23 PM
Nick Zentena

Erick Ondich wrote:
I recently recieved an old computer with a P/I-P55TP4XE motherboard that i
would like to use as a linux server. The current bios does not support
booting from cd so i downloaded an updated bios and thought all would go
well since i have flashed my bios many times before without issue. Problem
is none of the flash programs can recognize the flash chip it is using.
They all report unknown or just leave the chip type blank. I have set the
bios jumper to the program flash position and everything seems ok. The
flash program reads the old bios fine but cant find what type of flash chip
it is. Is it possible this board came without a flashable bios chip in it?
I have tried both the Asus Aflash utility and the Award flash utility with

I remember Asus changed it's flash program some time in the past. It
wouldn't suprise me if that board needs a really old version.

pflash?

http://www.asus.com.tw/inside/Techre...l#bios-flash07

Nick
Old December 6th 04, 02:43 PM
Erick Ondich

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message
Erick Ondich wrote:
[...]

Pflash did the trick. Now i can boot from CD. Thanks!

Erick